Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Colony Tick Display with Prom Limit?
Yes 80%  80%  [ 39 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 49

over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

Post Re: Colony Tick Timer Display?
selling just 1k prom per tick equals an extra 30m, and there is 12 ticks per day, which makes it 360m extra. this is for every mature colony at 5b+ pop, and teams like DM must have at least 50 of them.

now 360m * 50 = 18b per day. thats like a panther every 2 days for DM.

now for a team like mad+, which has probably 5 mature colonies, thats still 1.8b per day.

now considering it takes 1 month to make a mature col, but for 2 months the uni stays the same.

2 months is 60 days.

60 * 18b = about 1 tril per uni for DM, and about 100b per uni for mad+.

yes i know prom aint free, but it's the potential of prom that the devs are worried about.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:11 pm

pip8786 wrote:
I'm glad you're finally cooling down and not calling us retarded and brainless at least. It gives a lot more credit to your arguments when you don't. You didn't see me insulting you anywhere throughout either thread.

Well your right, I did get a little overheated, and I apologies from my colorful language.
In saying that, I still take offense to this "abuse" label here.

@ Jeff,
Your probably right, tis likely that most players don't do this for various reasons, or because they where simply unaware of this little tidbit until I said it out loud. But just because they where're unawares doesn't mean its abuse or that everyone will suddenly become mega rich. As I said, I've been doing it for a while and I'm no richer than the next guy.

As I'm sure you know, commod sales to a colo is largely dependent on its size.The fact is you simply cannot force your colony to buy anything. It buys commods at its own pace and quainties, the only control we have over this is how much we have available to be purchased. Placing the same limit on sales for a colo of 12 bill pop as 1 bill or w/e is simply inconsistent with how the colony operates.

Knowing full well that your colo will NEVER buy more than 1,000 prom will mean people will reset their colo support infrastructure to supply less prom to the colo thereby saving cash on all that would have been lost due to decay en-route and whilst sitting on the base waiting to be bought.

Tinkering with every aspect of colony operation is, for some, one of the most enjoyable part of this game. Putting hard caps on sales will remove some of that enjoyment.

@ Churchill,
I'm not even gonna comment on what you typed.

Anywayz thats what I think and if it wasn't 3:30 am I'd probably continue my arguing.

- DW

Thats because we want everyone to quit, so we have no customers and will starve!

Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:28 pm
over 9000!

DW, all i'm saying is a dedicated CA if given access to many teammates colonies can make lots of money per day by shipping prom around.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:16 pm
Main: BlackDragon
Level: 1875

DM has better and more efficient ways to make 1 tril than by shipping prom around every 5 mins.

I think 1k prom per tick is a decent amount. Anything above that gets to be a bit excessive in my opinion.

Good call and nice work pip.

~BD

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:04 am
over 9000!

BlackDragon wrote:
DM has better and more efficient ways to make 1 tril than by shipping prom around every 5 mins.

I think 1k prom per tick is a decent amount. Anything above that gets to be a bit excessive in my opinion.

Good call and nice work pip.

~BD

I know that BD, but tahts on top of every other way that DM can make money.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:13 am
Main: Demiser of D
Level: 4

I disagree, putting hard caps in a mostly unlimited game sounds somewhat rank to me. Sure, it is difficult to find colony times, but they reset from each time the server goes down, da?

So, easy solution, have something on the SS mainpage that informs you when the server has gone down. Then, you can have some difficulty, but you dont lose large amounts of cash by importing prom when you didn't realize there had been a reset.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:14 am
Team: Admins
Main: The Voomy One
Level: 1337

Quote:
putting hard caps in a mostly unlimited game sounds somewhat rank to me

Here's rule nr.1 for any game. Without limits, no balance.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:45 am
Team: Zephyr
Main: Yarra Valley Wines
Level: 4690

I already have a Colony timer on my base actually, and it is axact to within 30 secs or so from what I've been bothered to observe. I'm not gonna post the method, but with a little thought it can be done. This involves no external stopwatch, it's all done within game.
With this knowledge, I've tried the large scale prom sales with some success. It's definately not something I would worry about ruining the economy though.

Buying large amount's of prom from AI stations fail, the price skyrockets and thus negates the point. Even from multiple AI bases, it is a lot of manual manipulation, and barely worth it.

Keeping prom on a storage ship on the base ftw, but even then it's not quite as luctrative as you might originally think. If you want the colony to buy massive amount's you have to drop the price so that it is willing to buy the larger amount, once again, eating into profits.

Using the storage ship method, i would check if the col was due to tick over soon, and if not, transfer some spare prom into the ship. To do this, you have to be online a lot of the time though, and be willing to be at the base at the moment you know the colony is about to tick to make the transfer to it.
In the end, I've just let it ride as per normal. For the amount of effort involved, I might aswell go cap a dozen inferno's.
btw, Im well past the Inferno capping stage, but it is a suitable comparison.

I've always assumed that the timer trick would have been worked out by lots of people, maybe I'm wrong.

Admin's, if you havent figured it out, and are interested in knowing, gimme a buzz.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:10 am
Team: Traders
Main: mrwoo
Level: 8291

This also could be used for workers too ....

Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:58 am

I still want to see this math that brought you guys to a 400 mill per day, presumably per person per colony. Moreover why isn't any admin willing to step up and say it was them?

- DW

Thats because we want everyone to quit, so we have no customers and will starve!

Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:14 am
Team: Terran Empire
Main: Fool
Level: 3024

Death-Warrant wrote:
I still want to see this math that brought you guys to a 400 mill per day, presumably per person per colony. Moreover why isn't any admin willing to step up and say it was them?

- DW

... it was already shown to you. 1k prom, sale price ~30k, 12 ticks, = 360mil per day. That's _with_ the 1k max sale they're talking about adding. Without the max, the amount that can be gained is in the billions, per colony per day. Granted, this means someone's gotta be sitting on a colony every 2 hours, pumping them, but it's not that hard, and someone could, with the right thought, do 5-6 colonies easily... And if they work with teammates, it's not that onerous or hard to do this around the clock, constantly, for a long while.

The admins have stepped up. Pip and Jeff both said they(admins) _all_ agreed to this.

I'd much rather see the other commods, that take effort and skill, but can be done automated, be added in to colonies, than prom sales.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:40 am
Dev Team
Main: SAL 9000
Level: 900

cryptic2sum wrote:
Admin's, if you havent figured it out, and are interested in knowing, gimme a buzz.

No need; it's quite obvious as long as certain conditions are met.

We didn't mean for it to be a fixed cutoff at 1k - it would naturally vary with colony size; 1k was meant to be the number for a mature colony.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:58 am

Jester_Motley wrote:
... it was already shown to you. 1k prom, sale price ~30k, 12 ticks, = 360mil per day. That's _with_ the 1k max sale they're talking about adding. Without the max, the amount that can be gained is in the billions, per colony per day. Granted, this means someone's gotta be sitting on a colony every 2 hours, pumping them, but it's not that hard, and someone could, with the right thought, do 5-6 colonies easily... And if they work with teammates, it's not that onerous or hard to do this around the clock, constantly, for a long while.

The admins have stepped up. Pip and Jeff both said they(admins) _all_ agreed to this.

I'd much rather see the other commods, that take effort and skill, but can be done automated, be added in to colonies, than prom sales.

While I seen Churchill's math, I haven't seen the admins math. No offense but to my knowledge Churchill is not an admin. I too am perfectly capable of making up numbers to prove a point.

What I'm asking is how the figure of 400 million credits per colony per day was arrived at by the person / persons who decided to state this as the underling reason for introducing this measure.

I don't think its too much to ask how or by whom this things are decided upon, do you?

P.S. Jeff has stated that he personally, has no strong opinion on this matter and is agreeing because of the concerns of other admins.

I want to know what these specific concerns are, and why they feel the need to introduce this measure to counter them. As Jeff asked, what other suggestions are there?. I can't offer any suggestions on how to make this work without knowing specifically what those concerns are and how these numbers have been arrived at.

- DW

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:58 pm

SAL 9000 wrote:
We didn't mean for it to be a fixed cutoff at 1k - it would naturally vary with colony size; 1k was meant to be the number for a mature colony.

Please elaborate. Define "mature" colony. In recent times the highest pop I've personally gotten is around 7.5 - 8 billion. I understand the max colony pop is 12 billion, so is 1,000 the cut off at 12 bill? And what of more average mature colonies of say 7-8 bill?, what would there cap be? how about smaller colo's on lower suitability planets that can only reach a piratical upper limit to populations. Where does the cap start? Does 1 bill pop mean 1/12 of the max? i.e. 83 or there abouts.

- DW

Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:04 pm
Team: Seele Piraten
Main: Si's_Yes_Man
Level: 2275

many people working together constantly monitoring with prom waiting to get a couple bil per day is about as much work as going out and capping gammas for a couple of bil per day. I dont see how it would matter for the cap, given this comparison.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:42 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next