Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Colony Tick Display with Prom Limit?
Yes 80%  80%  [ 39 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 49

Team: Red Faction
Main: Daggoth
Level: 3912

Post Re: Colony Tick Timer Display?
SimonV2 wrote:
many people working together constantly monitoring with prom waiting to get a couple bil per day is about as much work as going out and capping gammas for a couple of bil per day. I dont see how it would matter for the cap, given this comparison.

yeah

Either way this won't effect me much for until the uni after next.

Kanga

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:49 pm
Dev Team
Main: SAL 9000
Level: 900

Death-Warrant wrote:
SAL 9000 wrote:
We didn't mean for it to be a fixed cutoff at 1k - it would naturally vary with colony size; 1k was meant to be the number for a mature colony.

Please elaborate. Define "mature" colony. In recent times the highest pop I've personally gotten is around 7.5 - 8 billion. I understand the max colony pop is 12 billion, so is 1,000 the cut off at 12 bill? And what of more average mature colonies of say 7-8 bill?, what would there cap be? how about smaller colo's on lower suitability planets that can only reach a piratical upper limit to populations. Where does the cap start? Does 1 bill pop mean 1/12 of the max? i.e. 83 or there abouts.

- DW

The 12B colonies were due to a bug, which I'm pretty sure has been fixed. The increase w/ population is slower than linear (same as for other commods), so it would be far more than ~83 at 1B.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:22 pm

SAL 9000 wrote:
The 12B colonies were due to a bug, which I'm pretty sure has been fixed. The increase w/ population is slower than linear (same as for other commods), so it would be far more than ~83 at 1B.

Great, we're starting to get somewhere here, please continue.

- DW

Thats because we want everyone to quit, so we have no customers and will starve!

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:42 pm
Team: Zephyr Plus
Main: ReturnOfZimidy
Level: 2629

I don't see prom being much of a problem, I don't think many people actually dump 100k prom because its far too problematic, theres much easier ways than looking at a clock every 2 hours to earn money. Besides with the 1k max on, people with big mines will have to move prom to another colony, just problematic for them tbh.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:20 pm
PR Admin

Be happy with the feature you're getting, and stop trying to lobby for the ability to sell unlimited prom which, with the freezing of prom in storage ships to stop it from decaying, might have consequences that I personally do not want to risk at the cost of a mere cap on a single commod that has traditionally never been a popular colony commod compared to the other commods anyway.

Really, you're making too big a deal out of this. You're getting a cool new feature. In return, we the admins impose a cap on an item that barely anyone, if anyone at all, currently sells to colonies, for the sake of keeping the game fair by not risking *possible* ways to make a lot of money easily by just buying prom from popular spots like sol for 10k and selling tens of thousands for 30k every two hours to multiple colonies.

Again I'm not saying there's an exploit, but it's possible there is one and that it becomes easier with this feature and I personally wouldn't risk it for the sake of all players.

The cap should still make it possible to make a profit off of prom, but will make it impossible to exploit the current colony system if it was possible.

Furthermore, any value we enter as cap is dynamic. We can change it later on if we want to. In my opinion it would be the wisest and safest way to start with 1k, and if it proves to be a complete waste of time or even unprofitable, we could move up to a higher cap.

So in short:
You get a nice feature. We make sure nobody makes unfairly quick money from this feature. We start with a safe maximum, if it turns out to be too low, we raise it.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:50 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392

That's a very good point made by FP. We want this to be a source of profit (selling prom) but not one of huge amounts of profit. So if we find that its become impossible to make decent money off of selling prom, we raise the limit to make it similar to other commods. The 1000 is not stuck in stone.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:35 pm
Team: Light Commerce
Main: Sharky99x
Level: 2766

I was pretty much going to vote for pip anyways initially, but was umming over it.

But FP just sealed the deal and completely won me over.

As a suggestion instead of a 1k cap how about a 2k cap. would peeps be happy with that more ?

Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:17 pm
Main: Demiser of D
Level: 4

As they said, it is a dynamic cap, if 1000 is too little, it will be beefed. Better to start bad and beef to good than to start at borked and have 300 players complaining when it gets fixed.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:43 pm
Team: Zephyr
Main: Starbawk
Level: 5389

1000 really isn't enough of a cap. my prom supplies got nerfed a bit this uni.. asteroids really should go back up a bit in density.. it's kind of a joke now as far as construction goes. But last uni i usually sold about 1200 prom per tick to 1 colony and about 750 per tick to the other. Prom is very much a popular commod for colonies.. most of the people I see raking in the big bucks are doing it with prom.. in the nieghborhoods of 200-1500 per tick in my expierence. I could easily hit 1k with slaves pumping all my prom to one place instead of spreading the love around as i do now.

last uni you nerfed the denisty of asteroid spawns, and now your going to nerf thier potential even more by limiting the ammount of prom to what i feel is a rather arbitraty and frankly quite a low number.

even without freezing prom I still know someone who like to sell 10-20k once and a while.. he has a very odd method but it works for him and he's definatly not making buku bucks off of it.

If the cap is placed at 1k i would really like to see asteroids returned to thier previous spawning patterns.. this uni really hurt my metal supply in addition to the supply of prom and other vital commods

Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:53 am
Dev Team
Main: SAL 9000
Level: 900

Our goal is simply that you should not be able to make far more cash by selling prom to colonies than by selling other commods. And you won't gain much sympathy just because you have more prom than your colonies will buy! :P

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:36 am

Ya know I was hoping this was a discussion, a debate, but apparently not. You guys have already made up your minds. So pray tell, what was the point of having a poll?

All in all I still haven't seen any numbers from admins to justify a 1,000 cap, it is, like SB said, an arbitrary number.

Moreover none of you have yet to make a tangible link between a colony tick timer and a need to restrict prom sales. If you all feel the need to cap prom sales, then go ahead and do so, why are you making a need feature like a colony timer contingent on commod caps?

Therefore I'll vote no, for what its worth, I'll just continue to time my sales manually and hope that one day a basic feature like a colony timer is added.

- DW

Thats because we want everyone to quit, so we have no customers and will starve!

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:53 am
Team: Admins
Main: The Voomy One
Level: 1337

Judging by your reaction to this I would say that you are probably making a very nice amount of credits atm by using the very thing that this will prevent, probably a broken amount of credits and naturally you dont want to give that up.
You are not thinking about what is best for the game, you are thinking about what is best for you personally.

This, just like so many other limits we put in is all about balance.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:59 am

The Voomy One wrote:
Judging by your reaction to this I would say that you are probably making a very nice amount of credits atm by using the very thing that this will prevent, probably a broken amount of credits and naturally you dont want to give that up.
You are not thinking about what is best for the game, you are thinking about what is best for you personally.

This, just like so many other limits we put in is all about balance.

Don't presume to judge my motivations for anything Voomy. You don't know me and have no idea how I play.

If you've noting constructive to add to the supposed discussion then don't comment.

- DW

Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:07 pm
Team: Admins
Main: The Voomy One
Level: 1337

I did add something to the conversation. I gave you the reason for this change.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:19 pm

The Voomy One wrote:
I did add something to the conversation. I gave you the reason for this change.

Oh really? All I see there was a personal attack. So unless you consider that "constructive" input, you have added nothing new or compelling to the discussion have you?.

- DW

Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:45 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next