Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Trade pellets for range?
Poll ended at Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:27 am
Go to 4 pellets and get 25% more range 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
Go to 3 pellets and get 50% more range 46%  46%  [ 27 ]
Leave it the same 41%  41%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 59

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Gunslinger Myrtok
Level: 2640

Post Re: Excom & Abstructor: trade number of pellets for more range?
Stooch wrote:
Also the higher base damage on the pellets means that there is more to be multiplied by class and aug bonuses rather than just stacking mining control on top.

Not sure how that would work since the overall damage would remain the same. Anyhow, reducing the number of pellets will lead to a higher percentage of pellets hitting as well, which will increase DPS and energy efficiency. Greener weps FTW.

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:20 am
Team: Zephyr
Main: Ruin
Level: 4534

It also would become easier to just range platties with 50% more range..

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:37 pm
Main: Stoooch
Level: 17

Dorin Nube wrote:
Stooch wrote:
Also the higher base damage on the pellets means that there is more to be multiplied by class and aug bonuses rather than just stacking mining control on top.

Not sure how that would work since the overall damage would remain the same. Anyhow, reducing the number of pellets will lead to a higher percentage of pellets hitting as well, which will increase DPS and energy efficiency. Greener weps FTW.

Lol, you may be right there, my logic tried to go in 2 directions at once and just fell and hurt itself.

Fuck the Cosine!

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:55 pm
Team: Terran Empire
Main: Fool
Level: 3024

Dorin Nube wrote:
Anyhow, reducing the number of pellets will lead to a higher percentage of pellets hitting as well, which will increase DPS and energy efficiency. Greener weps FTW.

Not if you have decent tracking... I either hit with all 5 or miss with all 5.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:50 pm
Main: LoneWolf
Level: 1458

I've noticed no problem with the multishot guns, if you're worried about multishot then you have to consider all the multishot guns not just abstructor and excom.

If you're going to reduce the shot amount then you'll have to beef the damage by each shot considerably, not just add the two damages from the missing shots to the remaining.. Otherwise it's just going to end up being a bit of a nerf with mining control not affecting it as much, any decent player always hits all 5 shots with their setup.

Or you could just fix the reason you're lagging out lower end systems which isn't the weapons themselves but how you handle particles.

I sometimes run SS on a system that's from early 2000 and it runs perfectly fine with many people firing Excom / Abs and that only has an early geforce 5x card.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:29 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Gunslinger Myrtok
Level: 2640

LoneWolf wrote:
Otherwise it's just going to end up being a bit of a nerf with mining control not affecting it as much, any decent player always hits all 5 shots with their setup.

He said that's why he would increase the range - to make up for the nerf from mining control.

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:36 pm
Main: Nyarlathotep
Level: 1854

Stooch wrote:
Dorin Nube wrote:
Stooch wrote:

Lol, you may be right there, my logic tried to go in 2 directions at once and just fell and hurt itself.

Actually, Stooch has a good point. Lagrange skills are added in AFTER everything else, so more pellets per second = higher damage. With this change, class skills and augs will make a bigger difference to it, instead of the lagrange skills. So, now, you can use an excomm even without MFing or a high RoF and still do decent damage. If you use excomm, you need to build your setup around it for maximum DPS, meaning augging for RoF instead of damage. Now, you can use it whenever you want, and it will work well.

One thing, however: Although this change will aid the Excomm, it will hurt the abstructor. Abstructor has almost no damage, it relies on the skills a great deal to make it useful. If you change this, then it will become just another pointless weapon. Maybe make it so only excomm loses the bullets, but abs also gets a range boost? Maybe not by as much as the excomm, but I am fairly sure that with most setups, an excomm would still do more DPS than an abstructor if this occured.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:53 pm
Main: Jagur4
Level: 1458

after hearing everything said I'll say reduce it to 3 shots and add 50% range

however, some good ideas mentioned that ought to be implemented anyway:
-changing MF to only display the firing of one weapons while stacking the damage accordingly to cut down on lag

-give abstructor an additional beef so it doesn't become useless after this change

-limit the particle effects in multi-shot weapons to reduce lag

-extend this change to other multi-shot weapons as well

Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:21 pm

Jagur4 wrote:
-changing MF to only display the firing of one weapons while stacking the damage accordingly to cut down on lag

That changes the gameplay by a lot, especially in pvp. It would be a lot easier to dodge a MF's shots if they only used one weapon and it would totally defeat the meaning of "multifiring".
Jagur4 wrote:
-give abstructor an additional beef so it doesn't become useless after this change

Agreed. One of the main advantages of excom and abs IS the amount of bullets and the resulting damage boost from mining control without having to sacrifice an aug slot for additional damage. And it looks awesome if multifired as well.
Jagur4 wrote:
-limit the particle effects in multi-shot weapons to reduce lag

If you only limited the particle effects on weapons with multiple projectiles, they'd look strange in comparison to "normal" weapons. I don't get why SS has so much graphical lag anyways. If you compare SS to Fraxy (the comparison doesn't quite work, I know), you can see that Fraxy doesn't just look insanely epic, it lags less, too.
yugioh125 wrote:
Maybe make it so only excomm loses the bullets, but abs also gets a range boost?

The Abstructor is an awesome weapon for its tech, I don't think a beef would be good.
yugioh125 wrote:
Maybe not by as much as the excomm, but I am fairly sure that with most setups, an excomm would still do more DPS than an abstructor if this occured.

If the Abstructor gets more range than the excom, as well as more bullets, I'm fairly sure a lot of people would prefer it. That, of course, depends on how much the excomm would be beefed.
Dorin Nube wrote:
Anyhow, reducing the number of pellets will lead to a higher percentage of pellets hitting as well, which will increase DPS and energy efficiency.

The rather high spreading of the excomm bullets can be an advantage as well, less bullets don't nesseccarily mean more hits.

I'd like to add another argument as well: the abstuctor and the excomm are mining weapons, right? Mining weapons are used to mine and what would help a lot in a dense asteroid field? Multiple Projectiles.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:58 pm

Um, I did not mean give abs more range than excomm. I meant to beef the range of both of them, but beef the range of excomm by more than that of abstructor.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:00 pm

yugioh124 wrote:
Um, I did not mean give abs more range than excomm. I meant to beef the range of both of them, but beef the range of excomm by more than that of abstructor.

Ah, misunderstood you then. I thought beef excom's damage, take away a bullet or 2 and beef abs' range. Would still be a beef for the abs, though and it already is a pretty good weapon. I mean, what other tech 9 weapon can be used to vaporize w3 AI in seconds?

Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:02 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

I really like the suggestion of giving the abstructor more bullets than excomm. It would provide a more meaningful choice between the two.

The reason I pose this is is because of the particle's that come off the bullets and the lag they cause. I'm adding more range to all the mag's generally, but don't want to add more range to these 5x weapons because that will also mean a lot more lag, unless we reduce the number of pellets.

I will also change most other 5x weapons to have less pellets, but those are not used as widely, so I'm not bringing them up specifically. The catapult line is getting totally changed to be one or 2 big bullets that knock the target back and possibly give some negative tweak to bases.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:05 pm
Profile WWW

JeffL wrote:
The catapult line is getting totally changed to be one or 2 big bullets that knock the target back and possibly give some negative tweak to bases.

It would be pretty awesome if catapults were high-recoil, high-damage weapons, that knock both, you and your target, back a little to make the projectile look like it has a hell lot of mass. At least that would be how I'd imagine a catapult in space.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Mmmm, fun. I used to use catapults in my gunner izer before I had wep 20, but almost noone else uses them, good to see they will now have a use. Does this only go for the 5-shot ones (catapult, executioner, vigilante and seige), or will it hold true for the cadet/enforcer/constable catapults as well?

Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:25 pm
Main: Stoooch
Level: 17

Seige Catapults should be the only one with anti base buffs.
Excomms and Abs are one of the few weapons in the game that have a trail left behind the projectiles, and it is certainly one of the longest lasting trails. That is what contributes to the lag.
Surely in client 2 you are going to do something so that multi projectile weapons dont cause nearly so much lag.

Fuck the Cosine!

Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:34 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next