Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Bright or dark ambient?
Poll ended at Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:13 pm
Bright ambient, I wanna be able to see my ship! 29%  29%  [ 20 ]
Dark ambient, the lighting would look so much cooler! 53%  53%  [ 36 ]
Neither, Client 2 sucks! 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I don't like you, let's get someone else to do this! 15%  15%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 68

Site Admin / Dev Team
Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392

Post Re: And then, there was light...
Stooch wrote:
To me it seems odd that the green glow from the sun is a completely different colour from the sun itself.
The Dark sun's glow looks nice though.

I think right now he's just using an old value that we passed along to the sun to do the lighting. Once we have it all working, we'll probably adjust the light colors to be the sun's color. Also, none of the suns are actually rendered like they will be in the future.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:09 pm
Team: Traders
Main: your mother and i
Level: 3336

I think the shine is a great addition, but I do think it can be a very slight shine
wouldn't want mobile strobe lights like he said

Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:47 pm
Main: Stoooch
Level: 17

pip8786 wrote:
Stooch wrote:
To me it seems odd that the green glow from the sun is a completely different colour from the sun itself.

I think right now he's just using an old value that we passed along to the sun to do the lighting. Once we have it all working, we'll probably adjust the light colors to be the sun's color. Also, none of the suns are actually rendered like they will be in the future.

OH THANK GOD. I was trying to resist saying anything directly about them.

Thats cool if the colours are basically for testing purposes right now.

Fuck the Cosine!

Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:41 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

Stooch wrote:
pip8786 wrote:
Stooch wrote:

OH THANK GOD. I was trying to resist saying anything directly about them.

Thats cool if the colours are basically for testing purposes right now.

That's why i told ppl to only comment about the lights, since nothing else has been really worked on in those shots.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:58 pm
Main: BlackDiamond
Level: 34

Yeah the suns are just temporary sprites, they're in place till I start hacking away at them, which is more or less the next step in the developmental process :twisted:

I gotta remind everyone that the Zebu's (That's the ship I'm piloting in these shots, looks a tad different from the Client1 version), is intended to be an overly "shiny" ship, so it has a high specular component. If any of you don't know what that means its basically the reflective glare off shiny metal. If you look at the Fuzz in those screenshots the lighting on them is not as blinding. So you can expect some ships to look more like a "strobe light" than others :P Even then, we haven't even started tweaking these values to everyone's preference, it's just something temporary I stuck in to my tastes.

The poll's looking 50/50. The dark sides winning by a margin but it seems that they're so introverted only the people preferring bright light are posting :lol: So in the end, the slider idea is starting to sound good, hopefully that will keep everyone happy. I also like the dark + marker idea, we'll keep both of these in mind.

Quote:

But I kinda like the green glow, so hopefully I can change the sun to suit the green-ish light rather than the other way round.

Cheers

Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:18 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1100

Quote:
Dram has a point. Shouldn't be too hard to just have a scale like for volume you can adjust in menu.

trevor54 wrote:
Its just whatever, either way there is pro's and cons, I wont care either way

ahem. I choose the "Both, client 2 is awesome" option.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Ivelios
Level: 6452

I'd like to see ships getting darker when you move further away from the sun.

But no game should hinder gameplay to make an artistic statement :wink: You should still be able to see your ship if you move far away from a lightsource, otherwise it'll just get frustrating. Take a look at the armada drone graphics we have now - they're too dark to be clearly visible and it's pretty annoying. If that would happen to every ship when it's far from a sun, c2 will lose a lot of its appeal.

Drop it like it's hot
Drop it like it's hot

English Romantic poet John Keats.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:25 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: Diabolus
Level: 2300

Location: Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, Milky way, Universe, Admins computer
maybe make it so your engine, when thrusting, makes light too? :)

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:08 am
Site Admin / Dev Team

basebot wrote:
maybe make it so your engine, when thrusting, makes light too? :)

Engine and Projectiles will make light on higher end systems.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:11 am
Team: Aidelon
Main: norrath
Level: 1951

I say more to the darker side of things, it is space after all.

I would much rather have a scale on the client side though. It also appears to me that the lighting off the fuzz's need to be toned down a bit, Light from a ship should project as much as a nearby sun.

Julian cannot post, because the FBI are watching ;)

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:04 am
Team: Zephyr
Main: Churlish
Level: 3152

1) my ship needs to be visable, even when cloaked.

2) i like the darker lighting.

3) please think about "strobing" we have players who will not be able to play unless we can eliminate strobe effects, due to adverse reactions to them.

Thanks.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:48 am
Team: Zonura
Main: Takuhi
Level: 966

Personally, I would like to see how the ambient lighting fits in with the rest of the lighting. Well, I assume there is other forms of lighting.

I think at the moment it looks a little odd, simply because the ambient lighting looks like its coming from quite a strong light source, but the suns are comparatively dim. So I would argue that to make it look better, the ambience lighting should actually be toned down a little.

I also think that because its a work in progress, it's very hard to put stuff like lighting into context. What we suggest now probably won't help that much when it's completely finished.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

Takuhi wrote:
Personally, I would like to see how the ambient lighting fits in with the rest of the lighting. Well, I assume there is other forms of lighting.

I think at the moment it looks a little odd, simply because the ambient lighting looks like its coming from quite a strong light source, but the suns are comparatively dim. So I would argue that to make it look better, the ambience lighting should actually be toned down a little.

I also think that because its a work in progress, it's very hard to put stuff like lighting into context. What we suggest now probably won't help that much when it's completely finished.

There is lighting coming from the suns. That is not considered ambient light. Ambient light is the lighting when there is no sun or the sun can't hit that part of the model.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:15 pm
Team: Zonura
Main: Takuhi
Level: 966

pip8786 wrote:
Takuhi wrote:

There is lighting coming from the suns. That is not considered ambient light. Ambient light is the lighting when there is no sun or the sun can't hit that part of the model.

I should really look up terms before I start going on about them.

Ok, then the lighting from the suns needs to be decreased. The ambient lighting looks fine to me.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:20 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

Takuhi wrote:
pip8786 wrote:
Takuhi wrote:

I should really look up terms before I start going on about them.

Ok, then the lighting from the suns needs to be decreased. The ambient lighting looks fine to me.

Did you read the part that said the Zebu in those pictures is one of the shiniest ships, therefore will have the most reflection of light from the suns? Most other ships won't be as shiny.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:30 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next