Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Bright or dark ambient?
Poll ended at Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:13 pm
Bright ambient, I wanna be able to see my ship! 29%  29%  [ 20 ]
Dark ambient, the lighting would look so much cooler! 53%  53%  [ 36 ]
Neither, Client 2 sucks! 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I don't like you, let's get someone else to do this! 15%  15%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 68

Team: Zonura
Main: Takuhi
Level: 966

Post Re: And then, there was light...
pip8786 wrote:
Did you read the part that said the Zebu in those pictures is one of the shiniest ships, therefore will have the most reflection of light from the suns? Most other ships won't be as shiny.

Yeah, I read that. But the lighting effect from the suns does not make it look shiny. The point I'm trying to get across is that it just doesn't look quite right. There's no point getting defensive and trying to explain it by saying the ship is meant to be shiny. It doesn't look shiny, and the sun glow is too bright. Just because there's lots of sun glow on it does not mean it looks very shiny. If you want a good example of a shiny spaceship, just look at the image below.

Notice how it reflects everything? As opposed to the just strong light sources? For something to be shiny, it needs to reflect the whole environment. That means it's not a case of lighting at all.

I'm not suggesting that the new Client should look like that, but you can't really claim that the new zebu is meant to look shiny. I doubt you want to give up the resources to make the 3D models actually reflect everything.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:53 pm
Main: Turbinia
Level: 3134

maybe make it so that the shine sort of 'comes off the ship'. Like highlights so that it looks more like the ship is reflecting the light instead of bein lit a color like it.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:05 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

We haven't done the environment mapping yet. Just sit back and enjoy watching the progress and don't complain about how it looks because Blindside has only been working on the graphics for 2 weeks so far. Until just recently, all client2 work has been on the UI and networking and everything but the graphics. We finally have it 90% fully playable and it's beautification time for the next 3 months.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Aidelon
Main: norrath
Level: 1951

JeffL wrote:
We haven't done the environment mapping yet. Just sit back and enjoy watching the progress and don't complain about how it looks because Blindside has only been working on the graphics for 2 weeks so far. Until just recently, all client2 work has been on the UI and networking and everything but the graphics. We finally have it 90% fully playable and it's beautification time for the next 3 months.

So the Official release date is May '09?

Sweet! Thats one hell of a birthday gift for me. :D

Julian cannot post, because the FBI are watching ;)

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:12 pm
Team: Seele Piraten
Main: Si's_Yes_Man
Level: 2275

JeffL wrote:
it's beautification time for the next 3 months.

its gonna be sooo purrrrty.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:14 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4888

JeffL wrote:

You really cant order us not to complain, we are your customers and players. Im not saying you need to take all the shit we throw, but that seemed like a put off.

Anyway

YEAH BEAUTIFICATION TIME!! I'm deffo going to be back to SS when it goes 3D, and i love the fact that you listened to me JeffL and let the player control the camera angle. :mrgreen:

Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:23 pm
Team: Aero
Main: Dram Ravett
Level: 1268

Dram Ravett wrote:
how about make it thats its a options to have, in the options menue .... sorry for the selling

this is resons for this idea is for peeps that dont have good computers to be see all the grafiks ..
and a nuther note why not fix the grafics that need to be fixed frist like in the big battle senes, be for you start new ones..

Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:32 pm
Main: Stoooch
Level: 17

MasterTrader wrote:
JeffL wrote:

[color=#FF0000]
You really cant order us not to complain, we are your customers and players. Im not saying you need to take all the shit we throw, but that seemed like a put off.

No... that was him saying dont judge an unfinished object. Would you walk into the kitchen of a restaurant to taste the pastry dough? Would you criticise your builders because your half finished house is draughty? Would you complain about the lack of customer service at your local supermarket when the shop isnt open yet?
No you wouldnt, this is the same situation.

Fuck the Cosine!

Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:47 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392

MasterTrader wrote:
YEAH BEAUTIFICATION TIME!! I'm deffo going to be back to SS when it goes 3D, and i love the fact that you listened to me JeffL and let the player control the camera angle. :mrgreen:

Stooch already said my thoughts on the first part. In terms of this part, the camera angle thing was in the plan and in c2 from the start. It was obvious that this was going to be an option with a 3D engine... I don't want to say we don't listen to you, but we know how to think for ourselves, too.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:56 pm
Main: BlackDiamond
Level: 34

Whoa people chill. I really have no problem with people complaining or saying it looks shit, it's simply a guide for me to make it look better.

Thanks for your constructive criticism Takuhi and Trouser23 :wink:

PS: And don't worry that "slider" option is going in even though the "dark side" is winning by leaps and bounds :lol:

PPS: There will be 3 Options selectable at start up Low, Medium and High. What you are currently seeing is "Low", for Geforce MX 440, etc. I'm not being defensive or trying to justify anything, just telling the facts. Higher options will have bumpmapping/bloom etc applied so it may very well look better than that screenshot Takuhi posted, it's just common sense that we started at the lower denomination. Also older generation cards are limited to 8 fixed function lights per object, so they may/may not get lighting from thrust/plasmas, but the higher end options that'll implement deferred shading surely will.

Cheers

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:21 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4888

BlindSide wrote:
Whoa people chill. I really have no problem with people complaining or saying it looks shit, it's simply a guide for me to make it look better.

Thanks for your constructive criticism Takuhi and Trouser23 :wink:

PS: And don't worry that "slider" option is going in even though the "dark side" is winning by leaps and bounds :lol:

PPS: There will be 3 Options selectable at start up Low, Medium and High. What you are currently seeing is "Low", for Geforce MX 440, etc. I'm not being defensive or trying to justify anything, just telling the facts. Higher options will have bumpmapping/bloom etc applied so it may very well look better than that screenshot Takuhi posted, it's just common sense that we started at the lower denomination. Also older generation cards are limited to 8 fixed function lights per object, so they may/may not get lighting from thrust/plasmas, but the higher end options that'll implement deferred shading surely will.

Cheers

I am glad you feel differently.

Anyway Pip, when i posted about a game called DarkSpace, in the Misc forum and asked if the camera system was going to be the same, JeffL said it was going to be 2.5D.

That was atleast 4-6 months ago.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:01 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

MasterTrader wrote:

What I'm saying is that when we post screen shots to show you the lighting on ships, don't complain about lack of environment mapping, edge aliasing, the suns, and all the rest. It's just noise. Feel free to complain about the lighting if that's what we're showing you. =)

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:12 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Revolution
Main: Parkway Drive
Level: 703

Would like to darker,it kinda looks childish

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:19 am
Main: BlackDiamond
Level: 34

Heres another shot, with the Bulk Trader. No specular.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:42 am
Main: Stoooch
Level: 17

The lighting does look nice there. And congrats on piloting skill 24....

Fuck the Cosine!

Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:52 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next