Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Main: Nyarlathotep
Level: 1854

Post Re: February 9th 2009 - Dev Update 2
biggee531 wrote:
yugioh124 wrote:
Oh really? Fairly sure that an admin already said that the physical weapons were done and added to test, which includes Rhino Cannon. Also, the cap ship nerf has been here since they started, it is at the very core of the nerf.

If Section A is balanced, and section B, C, and D are not at all balanced, how can you compare anything to anything? There's no point in even trying to run numbers, because everything in the game is being looked at.

Everyone else will 'suffer' from the same 'nerf' too. So you'll be virtually the same rank as you are now. By rank, i mean on a linear scale of usefulness. Every class will have similar changes, so it's not a big deal right now.

You can rant however, only once admins have announced that they have finished re-balancing everything.

After which, we will have ample time to test the changes and express our views. So until that day, stfu about losing stats and playability.

I read through the entire thread, and I am sure I will not be "virtually the same ranK". The people who use standard stuff, like LFs as SD or just damage-increasing augs as gunner, did not get hurt nearly as badly. People who rely on heat damage, such as MFs designed for runs with conflags or lincins, will be hurt as well. Most everyone else seems to either have gotten off without too much damage or is rich enough to revamp their setups, I have only seen a few others who got hit as badly as I did.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:01 pm
Main: Stoooch
Level: 17

biggee531 wrote:
yugioh124 wrote:
Oh really? Fairly sure that an admin already said that the physical weapons were done and added to test, which includes Rhino Cannon. Also, the cap ship nerf has been here since they started, it is at the very core of the nerf.

If Section A is balanced, and section B, C, and D are not at all balanced, how can you compare anything to anything? There's no point in even trying to run numbers, because everything in the game is being looked at.

Everyone else will 'suffer' from the same 'nerf' too. So you'll be virtually the same rank as you are now. By rank, i mean on a linear scale of usefulness. Every class will have similar changes, so it's not a big deal right now.

You can rant however, only once admins have announced that they have finished re-balancing everything.

After which, we will have ample time to test the changes and express our views. So until that day, stfu about losing stats and playability.

In fairness Biggee admins have stated that augs will no longer multiply with inbuilt bonuses. This guarantees that a capship can no longer use bank increasing augs to any effect. No matter what else changes, unless an admin makes a U-Turn on this decision we are stuck with this fuck up.

Fuck the Cosine!

Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:03 pm
Team: Triple Alliance
Main: Biggee
Level: 3017

Slap a sup resistance on there. Rely on the capship bank, and try to reduce the overall damage you will take by boosting resistances.

As for yugioh. You are using a Freighter as a main SD ship? How well do you think that's going to work? As for ship hulls-paces, admins haven't said "Ok, we are done, you can try stuff out now and complain to your heart's content". They have said quite the contrary in fact, stating that there is still a lot of work to be done. They are experimenting with ship hulls. They know there is an issue. Along with a lot of other aspects of the re-balance. They know.

Also contrary to popular belief, admins don't pick on certain players because they don't like them. They make changes for the game that are meant to better the community as a whole. You claiming they have a personal vendetta against you is asinine. Post-rebalance, abstract setups will have boosted usability. So those augs like Green/Rosie/Slumber or whatever, will actually be used on ships. One reason is because they generally have a good balance of stats, not relying on stat stacking. Try to use what you have instead of complaining.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:12 pm
Main: Nyarlathotep
Level: 1854

biggee531 wrote:
Slap a sup resistance on there. Rely on the capship bank, and try to reduce the overall damage you will take by boosting resistances.

As for yugioh. You are using a Freighter as a main SD ship? How well do you think that's going to work? As for ship hulls-paces, admins haven't said "Ok, we are done, you can try stuff out now and complain to your heart's content". They have said quite the contrary in fact, stating that there is still a lot of work to be done. They are experimenting with ship hulls. They know there is an issue. Along with a lot of other aspects of the re-balance. They know.

Also contrary to popular belief, admins don't pick on certain players because they don't like them. They make changes for the game that are meant to better the community as a whole. You claiming they have a personal vendetta against you is asinine. Post-rebalance, abstract setups will have boosted usability. So those augs like Green/Rosie/Slumber or whatever, will actually be used on ships. One reason is because they generally have a good balance of stats, not relying on stat stacking. Try to use what you have instead of complaining.

1: My SD pax works brilliantly on the main server, elec is a problem but besides that I love it. Tons of shields, good damage, range, tracking, over 300 speed, ect. I use rhino gear in it, rhino cannon for PvE and Rhino Ray for PvP, and I love it. It is not automatically stupid just because it is not the intended way to play, in fact I can take down SDs in DSs well over my level, since they are weak to phys and cannot outrange me. It does have it's weaknesses, such as sustaining DPS and shield regen. It is not overpowered as-is, nor it is too weak, it is just a different way of playing. Until the nerf goes live, that is......

2: If you couldn't tell I wasn't being serious when I asked why the admins hated me, I don't really know what I can do to help you, it should have been painfully obvious.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:19 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392

You guys need to realize is that we are not going to change anything till everything is done (probably pretty soon now). Once that happens, we will set up a system for you guys giving feedback, and take a look at every case individually to rebalance the stats so that they are as effective as before (as long as they weren't overpowered before). We are not going to say "the stats are on test, bitch about them all you want but we are not going to change them". Its more like initial stats are on test, we know there are a lot of issues with them right now, but we'll look into them one by one till they are fixed.

Remember that in the end, the actual numbers don't matter, its the comparison of those numbers to others that matter. If you used to do 500 damage and the other guy had 5000 shields, you doing 100 damage to the same guy with 1000 shields is exactly the same.

Please have a little more patience, especially if you guys want me to keep updating you on progress. Having you guys rant endlessly about things that aren't finished does not help until we ask you to give feedback. I will not let the game be released next uni broken and boring (ie where you cant kill anything), so lets have a bit of trust.

I love feedback, but it needs to be organized in a usable fashion, which these posts are not. This is why we're going to set up a system for you guys to do the feedback on the rebalance, which will go something like Item Name, Old Stats, Current Stats, Wanted Stats on the wiki in one big list, after which we can iterate through them and get more feedback.

If you guys aren't bored of reading my stuff by now, well too bad cause I'm done :)

Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:20 pm
Team: Solstice
Main: Trevor
Level: 5369

Will base gear be reduced in size, 3rd time im posting this, and to someone like me its VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY important that i get a outright answer.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:21 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

trevor54 wrote:
Will base gear be reduced in size, 3rd time im posting this, and to someone like me its VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY important that i get a outright answer.

Ask about it in our next question thread, and I will add it. I dont know the answer.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:22 pm
Main: RocksnMud
Level: 2

imliking what i see on test so far...but the wierd thing is my ship graphic doesnt show up

Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:53 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

xcelticwarriorx wrote:
imliking what i see on test so far...but the wierd thing is my ship graphic doesnt show up

What ship? And you're using the test client of course? :)

Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:56 pm
Main: Blackdutchie
Level: 585

Dear Pip,
My test client keeps crashing.
i will now explain in greater detail.

1. Double-clicked test client .exe (located in star sonata folder)
2. Clicked connect
3. Clicked use character (it functions perfectly well up to here)
4. log in menu disappears,the little swoosh-sounds plays, i get the screen as you'd expect it, but where there is supposed to be a docking menu, there is nothingness(the nothingness being represented by a black rectangle), and i get a little windows pop-up message, telling me something's gone wrong, with the option of sending a report.
also, my inventory is not yet loaded, but the sun and a planet are. bases seem to be not-loaded. same goes for ships. the chat bar has also been loaded, and team is discoloured, signifying that yes, the team message is also present.
5. i click 'do not send'.

that is about the most accurate description i can give.

please PM me if you require more information on the issue (contents of the technical report)

i am using windows XP on a PC that can normally handle the game just fine.

EDIT: P.S. i have just redownloaded the test client, this report concerns that version.

i would very much appreciate a solution, as i would be overjoyed to look at the current state of being on test.

hmm, a mountain that eats people... i want one!

Last edited by berg.reinier on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:16 pm
Main: Jagur4
Level: 1458

pip8786 wrote:
You guys need to realize is that we are not going to change anything till everything is done (probably pretty soon now). Once that happens, we will set up a system for you guys giving feedback, and take a look at every case individually to rebalance the stats so that they are as effective as before (as long as they weren't overpowered before). We are not going to say "the stats are on test, bitch about them all you want but we are not going to change them". Its more like initial stats are on test, we know there are a lot of issues with them right now, but we'll look into them one by one till they are fixed.

Remember that in the end, the actual numbers don't matter, its the comparison of those numbers to others that matter. If you used to do 500 damage and the other guy had 5000 shields, you doing 100 damage to the same guy with 1000 shields is exactly the same.

Please have a little more patience, especially if you guys want me to keep updating you on progress. Having you guys rant endlessly about things that aren't finished does not help until we ask you to give feedback. I will not let the game be released next uni broken and boring (ie where you cant kill anything), so lets have a bit of trust.

I love feedback, but it needs to be organized in a usable fashion, which these posts are not. This is why we're going to set up a system for you guys to do the feedback on the rebalance, which will go something like Item Name, Old Stats, Current Stats, Wanted Stats on the wiki in one big list, after which we can iterate through them and get more feedback.

If you guys aren't bored of reading my stuff by now, well too bad cause I'm done :)

Pip, sorry so many people are getting impatient and tetchy, just know that there are those who appreciate the updates greatly and realize that things are still work in progress.

pip8786 wrote:
Stooch wrote:
Will parasites take up hull space post rebalance? It seems odd that a fire in an empty cargo ship is more dangerous than a fire in a cramped fighter.

I think they dont, but that's definitely a good point. Fighters should not be immune to parasites just cause they dont have room. We could also make it so parasites can go over hull limit, but that makes less sense. Thanks for pointing it out.

on this.... what about slightly scaling the damage based on the percent of hull/free hull it's consuming. It makes sense that a fire taking 1 space on a cramped fighter would probably be devastating whereas on a capital ship it would just require someone with a fire extinguisher and no big deal.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:17 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

berg.reinier wrote:
Dear Pip,
My test client keeps crashing.
i will now explain in greater detail.

Can you see whats in the the error report and make a ticket with the contents? I'm not sure why the client has all the sudden become unstable for so many people, but we need to figure it out.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:23 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: BaRR
Level: 2416

It still won't connect to the test server for me (server did not respond, etc...) Once it did connect but I got a BSoD a few seconds after it did, so I gave up trying after that. Something about StarSonata_TestClient.exe and a dirty pool or something? I know it sounds stupid, but that's because I didn't write it down.

EDIT: I forgot the computer logs crashes... Anyway, it crashed and BSoD'd so here's the log:

Code:
Faulting application starsonata_testclient.exe, version 1.0.1067.250, faulting module starsonata_testclient.exe, version 1.0.1067.250, fault address 0x000776f0.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:00 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Gunslinger Myrtok
Level: 2640

yugioh124 wrote:
Ugh, I just got on the test client, my SD pax lost about 50 speed, and I only have 1 aug giving me +speed.

I brought up the speed thing too, and was told that sometime in the past, SDs got a 3% per level speed bonus that was supposed to be reduced to 2% per level, but instead of actually reducing the speed bonus, they only changed the text in Lyceum. So, what you're seeing is the correction of that mistake (or so I'm told).

yugioh124 wrote:
Now, my gunner main. The weps got a huge size boost, which is VERY annoying considering how much hull we have, but not quite crippling....what IS crippling is the fact that well over half of my shields are gone. I had one aug increasing shields, a PtE. Now, instead of multiplying with the inbuilt bonuses, it adds. I am fairly sure someone said that even the shields gunner gains from the skills is added instead of multiplied, which is very damned stupid seeing as how gunners are meant to use cap ships. Also, lion heart got nerfed, that is not a huge problem but it is yet another hit to my main.

Ha, my gunner, who has a decent bit of free space for loot with my setup on live, was overflowed by about 450 when I logged into test. It's ok though. I'm waiting patiently, and having some trust :P

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:42 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761

JeffL wrote:
The new parasite system that I programmed is very flexible. There are several new "parasite" types, not just the bugs, one of which is fires. Different heat weapons can start different types of fires on the target ships which do damage over time and possibly other negative effects. Like the parasites, these fires all have half lives. Fire extinguishers, which are like pest controls but they work against fires, will extinguish all fires simultaneously. So you get a diminishing return on starting more fires on your target ship. Each additional one will do more damage, but less than the one before it.

I don't know yet what exactly the changes will be and the exact stats on the heat weapons, but you will probably not want to rely on just heat weapons. Probably I will do something like take away 25% of the DPS on heat weapons and give them DoT effects that at maximum double the total damage over 15-30 seconds. So a heat weapon that currently does 100 DPS with no DoT would do 75 + 75 over 20 seconds. A mixture of heat and non-heat will probably yield the maximum overall DPS.

this is why rebalances bring fear, because you change the way the things work, not just the stats..... you COULDVE just made a new group of parasite weapons, but no, you completely change some of the most useful weapons in the game and leave everyone up shit creek without a paddle, AND you did this knowing the new URQA UZ is coming soon.... people play SS because they like the game it is NOW, if you change it you risk losing your current playerbase in exchange for another which may not even exist.....

Voomy may like drastic changes, but players who have spent anywhere from 10-100b on a setup DONT like big rebalances which make their setups usless... how about next time u have an idea like this, ADD IT IN WITHOUT REMOVING OR CHANGING SOMETHING ELSE, plz? seriously there is only so much drastic changes people will put up with before they just go and look for a new game to play

hey, the DoT effects on heat weapons could be nice, but the loss of the original purpose of heat weapons like Urqa'ka and DWO and lincins that we have come to use ALOT is a REAL kick in the nuts

Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:38 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next