Team: Olympus
Main: Calypso
Level: 1800

Location: Scranton, PA, USA, Earth, Sol, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe, Multiverse
Post Tech 22 Skill Acquisition
I posted in the forum briefly concerning tech 22 skill acquisition -- and I am writing this post to give a bit more information on exactly how things are going to work in Subspace. I also would like to update everyone on the progress I've made as well.

First, tech 22 skills! The final design going forward is as follows; players must complete a mission that requires a boss kill and a boss dropped commodity. The commodities are unique to each boss so for instance, tech 22 shielding requires a shielding boss kill and a shielding boss drop. Bosses will drop one minimum to three maximum of their respective commodities and will be on a six day lockout. We have five instances right now with plans to add a sixth, so players can space out their content over the entire lockout period at one instance per day. A team could do all six in one marathon session if they wanted, but then they'd have very little to do for the next five days!

Although you'll need to complete the boss kill for your skill, you don't have to be lucky with your /roll to get your commodity. All the boss-dropped commodities will be available via daily and weekly missions at the rate of five missions to one commodity. At launch, daily missions will be randomly selected from a pool of nine total and weeklys from a pool of four.

Unlike Olympus daily missions, the Subspace dailies were designed to be a little less grindy and a little more involved. Instead of consisting entirely of kill missions, Subspace Dailies have kill mission, but they also have a variety of exploration, scanning, collection and mining missions. They also contain instanced scenario missions where a small group of players has a set amount of time to complete rather unique challenges.

Finally, these commodities can be traded for starter T22 items. There is only one set -- this means they might not be entirely useful to everyone but they're meant to serve as a first step into the T22 content if you don't have bosses on farm.

Other than that instances are coming along, the big bosses are entirely finished at this point and awaiting further testing. We have more art coming in, I've seen the freighters, fighters, stations and heavy fighters and they all look good (even before they've been textured). I've also finished up low-level mission rewards and we're starting to work on tier 1 and 2 tech 22 items. Overall we're making great progress.

Calypso

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:05 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Post Re: Tech 22 Skill Acquisition
Sweet, i love that we dont have to do all 6 Bosses on the same day THANK YOU! Any chance we get some our tech 21 ships with tech 22 organic upgrades on them yet, or still working on that?

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:08 pm
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Camsy
Level: 2191

Awesome looking forward to it! Hate to sound like a broken record but is there an eta at this point?

Also, with the t22 skills, are you only increasing the main skill set or will you increase side skills as well. (Drone deployment, remote control, lyceum skills etc.)

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Statistically, they haven't changed.

Except for the beef I gave.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:32 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

Calypso wrote:
They also contain instanced scenario missions where a small group of players has a set amount of time to complete rather unique challenges.

Majority of players hate missions with time limit.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:11 pm

Location: Scranton, PA, USA, Earth, Sol, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe, Multiverse
Antilzah wrote:
Calypso wrote:
They also contain instanced scenario missions where a small group of players has a set amount of time to complete rather unique challenges.

Majority of players hate missions with time limit.

Believe me, I know this. By 'set amount of time' I don't mean a mission timer like Micron, I mean something entirely different.

Calypso

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:08 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

People don't like:

- Timed Missions (Micron, etc). It stresses players out and discourages non-SD from attempting them.

- Search Missions (Maboule, Oly Guardian/ArenaMaster, RoamingUberMIssions from Strontium-90, and killing roaming ubers (Like marco) in general. These missions have a lot of downtime between kills. It's also tedious to search for singular AI's (Maboule comes to mind) spread across 100's of galaxies. Things with respawn timers are hated immensely.

- Travel Missions. Going from point A to point B, especially if it's in the same galaxy and is a long way away, those are despised. Bonnet Gate to Ring World, most Trader (Plus, OS, Micro) missions, and Olympus Entrance to Plughole/Heph come to mind. It's down time. People don't like to wait.
Mission Completion: Also very frustrating to go back to a specific galaxy to complete missions. We have faster than light communication, so why can't this be applied to Missions so you don't need to kill Prince/Cess/Rhino, go back to Lyceum, start KKK mission, and then go back through UZ to kill KKK?

- Mission Queues. Bonnet, Serengeti, and Infernal Tempest are still or were like this. Get mission to kill Stede Bonnet, but someone already cleared it 3 minutes before, so now you must wait 27 minutes for him to respawn. The Basils in Bonnet are also annoying because of long respawns. Iq' Bana respawns are annoying for more than one squad.

- Extraction/Mining. No one like a mission that calls for you to obtain Dark Matter (Alchemy Olympus), or tells you to go mining (wreckage busting) until you get what you need. Not everyone who does the mission is going to have access to heavy duty extraction, and people absolutely do not like anything that's based on luck, rather than merit.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:37 pm
Team: White Star
Main: xXxIrishKnightxXx
Level: 20

I like killing roaming ubers =|

Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:28 pm

IrishKnight wrote:
I like killing roaming ubers =|

The killing part a lot of people like. The searching part a lot of people hate. Minimize search, maximize kill.

Assume an uber may or may not have spawned now. It exists in a 1000 galaxy layer. It will take you 3-5 hours to search that, with all of your teammates actively searching for it. This is fun?

Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:48 pm
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Camsy
Level: 2191

Max235 wrote:
People don't like...

You've basically just stated every type of mission that isn't ridiculously easy to finish. The reason I find the game fun is because it's challenging.

If you want a game thats stupidly easy, perhaps star sonata isn't the right choice for you?

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Statistically, they haven't changed.

Except for the beef I gave.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:49 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Max235 wrote:
People don't like:

- Timed Missions (Micron, etc). It stresses players out and discourages non-SD from attempting them.

- Search Missions (Maboule, Oly Guardian/ArenaMaster, RoamingUberMIssions from Strontium-90, and killing roaming ubers (Like marco) in general. These missions have a lot of downtime between kills. It's also tedious to search for singular AI's (Maboule comes to mind) spread across 100's of galaxies. Things with respawn timers are hated immensely.

- Travel Missions. Going from point A to point B, especially if it's in the same galaxy and is a long way away, those are despised. Bonnet Gate to Ring World, most Trader (Plus, OS, Micro) missions, and Olympus Entrance to Plughole/Heph come to mind. It's down time. People don't like to wait.
Mission Completion: Also very frustrating to go back to a specific galaxy to complete missions. We have faster than light communication, so why can't this be applied to Missions so you don't need to kill Prince/Cess/Rhino, go back to Lyceum, start KKK mission, and then go back through UZ to kill KKK?

- Mission Queues. Bonnet, Serengeti, and Infernal Tempest are still or were like this. Get mission to kill Stede Bonnet, but someone already cleared it 3 minutes before, so now you must wait 27 minutes for him to respawn. The Basils in Bonnet are also annoying because of long respawns. Iq' Bana respawns are annoying for more than one squad.

- Extraction/Mining. No one like a mission that calls for you to obtain Dark Matter (Alchemy Olympus), or tells you to go mining (wreckage busting) until you get what you need. Not everyone who does the mission is going to have access to heavy duty extraction, and people absolutely do not like anything that's based on luck, rather than merit.

if you dont like all those what DO you like, youve just excluded about 90% of mission types there.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:05 am
Profile WWW

To give people a slightly better idea of what's going on with this (so they stop arguing about missions!)

Olympus Daily Example - Go hunt down 10 Ares, 10 Stingray, 5 Cyclops, 5 Ram, 5 Zeus, Kill Cronos.

Subspace Daily Example - Go collect 3 different parasites from 3 different parasite spitting aliens located in Galaxies A, B and C. Aliens don't spit parasites until 15% shields and parasite spitting has a 30s CD.

The difference - Olympus daily is very grindy and you have to search for possibly hours until you find all the guys you need to kill. Subspace daily mission requires you to go to known locations and can be done pretty quickly. Plus you have the added bonus of letting an alien inject his parasitic seed into your ship.

Calypso

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Calypso wrote:
Plus you have the added bonus of letting an alien inject his parasitic seed into your ship.

That is just gross.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:28 pm
Team: White Star
Main: xXxIrishKnightxXx
Level: 20

Max235 wrote:
Calypso wrote:
Plus you have the added bonus of letting an alien inject his parasitic seed into your ship.

That is just gross.

Siggying.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:04 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Woo we know where were going finally!

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:25 am
Main: Prommilypicklesomnomnom
Level: 4704

Max235 wrote:
Calypso wrote:

That is just gross.

I am both amazed at the depth of the new missions, and aroused. Good job.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:44 pm