Content Dev
Main: s_m_w
Level: 1512

Post Class Rebalance Proposal: Speed Demon
Top Post

Speed Demon:

Speed Demons tend to suffer from the fact that they need to go really fast in order to achieve significant DPS, which means that high-DPS weapons such as pulse guns or thoraxes are very hard to use in most situations. We want to remove the speed requirement while at the same time encouraging burst-and-run tactics with a class super item that gives significant burst DPS against a single target as well as a speed-dependent energy recharge bonus.

Get the Beta Client here and test new features and changes on the test server

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:04 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Class Rebalance Proposal: Speed Demon
I'm a little sad that using 3-shot won't be as skill based as it currently is, but I have been asking for this change for ages so I won't complain!

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:14 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

s_m_w wrote:
Top Post

Speed Demon:

Speed Demons tend to suffer from the fact that they need to go really fast in order to achieve significant DPS, which means that high-DPS weapons such as pulse guns or thoraxes are very hard to use in most situations. We want to remove the speed requirement while at the same time encouraging burst-and-run tactics with a class super item that gives significant burst DPS against a single target as well as a speed-dependent energy recharge bonus.

I don't like this, it turns PvP SD's into short range nukes, just like current seers, and does nothing to address the lack's lack of pvai dps and durability against beam type weapons.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:22 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

anilv wrote:
I'm a little sad that using 3-shot won't be as skill based as it currently is, but I have been asking for this change for ages so I won't complain!

I'm a little sad that an endgame SD has to use a weapon that was created years ago. SD needs to be brought up to date.
needs
+DPS
+powerability

Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:20 am
Profile WWW
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Biobawls
Level: 5847

You could also look into buffing most of the Ares/Hermes gear and augs to add a little more variety to speed demon setups.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:22 am
over 9000!

sabre198 wrote:
anilv wrote:

I'm a little sad that an endgame SD has to use a weapon that was created years ago. SD needs to be brought up to date.
needs
+DPS
+powerability

Fire Maker, Caduceus, Heph Hammers, Dark Flaming Excomm...

And he's just said they're getting a burst DPS ability and speed-dependent energy recharge so...

You can do better than this buzz!

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:28 am
Main: --sexydragon--
Level: 3103

I agree with lemon and jack here, they bring up two good points.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:29 am
Profile YIM WWW

Honestly speed demon as it is right now seems like the most balanced class in the game atm. It excels in everything and is a much more malleable class since you have the option of 4 augmenters.

The proposed changes seems like you are making a good thing even better, and adding a mechanic that should have been in all along. Hopefully though, you don't change the current DPS/DPE ratios on the class by removing the DPS/Speed mechanic.

You also might want to adjust the way damage is outputted by removing a bit of rate of fire and adding a little more damage/ critical strike rate.

Other than that looks good! ^,,^

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:51 am
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

anilv wrote:
sabre198 wrote:
anilv wrote:

needs
+DPS
+powerability

Fire Maker, Caduceus, Heph Hammers, Dark Flaming Excomm...

And he's just said they're getting a burst DPS ability and speed-dependent energy recharge so...

You can do better than this buzz!

better than agreeing with the suggestion? you're the sd whats your better idea than this suggestion then?

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Captain Cupcake
Level: 4018

OriginalPaxx wrote:
Honestly speed demon as it is right now seems like the most balanced class in the game atm. It excels in everything and is a much more malleable class since you have the option of 4 augmenters.

The proposed changes seems like you are making a good thing even better, and adding a mechanic that should have been in all along. Hopefully though, you don't change the current DPS/DPE ratios on the class by removing the DPS/Speed mechanic.

You also might want to adjust the way damage is outputted by removing a bit of rate of fire and adding a little more damage/ critical strike rate.

Other than that looks good! ^,,^

It was balanced when it had an aug advantage over all the other classes. Now that prawns and HMs are in the game they have lost their advantage.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:25 pm
over 9000!

sabre198 wrote:
better than agreeing with the suggestion? you're the sd whats your better idea than this suggestion then?

Seemed to me you were critiquing the proposal. If you are in favor of it, that makes two of us. :P

Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:34 pm
Team: Traders
Main: DefQon1
Level: 5100

s_m_w wrote:
Top Post

Speed Demon:

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:56 pm
Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: yclept
Level: 2002

Posting + or - without giving reasons is entirely unproductive.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. You may know me in-game as enkelin. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:02 pm
Main: Prommilypicklesomnomnom
Level: 4704

yclepticon wrote:
Posting + or - without giving reasons is entirely unproductive.

+1.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:39 am
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

I'd prefer something diffrent. The speed element is fun in my opinion. The problem is the lack of DPS and, like already pointed out above, the powerability of most weapons. We fire weapons at very high rates and setups that invest alot in elec tempering just end up having more sustained DPS, but less DPS than we'd like to have to compete with other classes that don't need to aug HEAVILY for elec temp to achieve their maximum potential.

So in short, I think SDs need a beef in DPS output, for example by Jeff his original proposal: lowering RoF by a margin and increasing the Damage stat on (I believe it was) Speedy Firing. Another solution to the problem I currently see with the class is just to give it a small amount of elec tempering. Perhaps only 20%, even that would help out a ton.

It's just boring being limited in aug setups only cause you need to aug heavily for elec tempering or you won't be able to sustain for more than a few seconds with the newer weapons because they all take a ton of elec when firing at a higher RoF.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:59 am