Content Dev
Main: s_m_w
Level: 1512

Post Class Rebalance Proposal, the Second (MAIN POST)
Over the last couple of weeks, we have spent a lot of time analysing and discussing the current state of class balance as well as possible changes. I would like to present our results as well as our reasoning and hope for feedback. None of these suggestions are final, but they do represent the general direction that we want to take.

The reason why we think a rebalance is necessary in the first place is that in endgame PvE, there are only a couple of classes that are being used. Our ultimate goal is to make all classes useful in squad PvE encounters without the need to design specific content aimed at a particular class. The way we are trying to accomplish this is by giving each class a proper role in a squad PvE environment as well as adjusting the potential DPS each class can do in a way that lets them compete with each other in most situations. Snipers will still be top of the class when it comes to single target damage, but the difference will not be as massive as seen in our previous analysis. Any changes to classes will be followed up with adjustments to ubers, primarily olympus, mausoleum and alien bosses as well as other bosses such as Red Photon and Timotheus, the Red Nightfury.

None of the changes will go live this universe and every change will be on a test server long before it will come into effect. The changes itself are going to be iterative in nature, which means that we will change each class little by little until it is at the point where we want it to be.

Please also keep in mind that I specifically do not mention numbers of any sort. This post is primarily to show the general direction that we want to go towards as well as getting feedbacks on changes as well as new mechanics that we would like to introduce. Changes to a classes overall DPS or survivability are not discussed either.

Here's a summary of our findings for each class, what we think as well as what we are thinking about changing. Please post feedback in the appropriate thread and as always, please be aware that each thread will be more heavily moderated than other posts:

To reiterate: that means feedback-only. Anything that seems off-topic or inappropriate to me in any way will get deleted or edited.

Berserker

Sniper

Speed Demon

Seer

Shield Monkey

Engineer

Fleet Commander

Gunner

Get the Beta Client here and test new features and changes on the test server

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:08 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Post Re: Class Rebalance Proposal, the Second (MAIN POST)
where is the thread for AI? we was assured the AI would be rebalanced to account for the various nerfs, I expect this will never happen.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:27 am
Profile WWW
Dev Team
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

except, its way more beefs all around than nerfs :P

Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:24 am

so the ai are not getting rebalanced as mentioned in the previous rebalance threads?

Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Dev Team

I cant say for sure, im not the content dev. But the way i see it, if its rebalanced properly, then the relative power between a squad and the ai will not change, so the ai wont need rebalance. (sniper slightly weaker, most other class slightly stronger, new methods to nerf target etc).

Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:55 am

its ok I expected it, ive been around here long enough

Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:59 am
Profile WWW
Dev Team

not sure what your getting mad about xD. If the ai needed a global rebalance due to a class rebalance, it would mean EVERYTHING was nerfed (and as such, ai need to be nerfed to rebalance it).

But its not the case here, just about every classes get a beef, hell, even the sniper nerf isnt a 100% nerf (half the anal time required)

Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:05 am

I would still trade all those so called beefs to keep sniper as it is, none of them would make me want to switch out those classes for the ones I have on my t22 squad currently. I dont envisage my t22 squad changing at all, only keeping the prawns alive will be much harder, however the beefs to the other classes will compensate only marginally, and having to provide more heals in total means less heals for the support classes. Therefore global nerf to my t22 squad.

If I could take in a zerker and properly control the aggro in a fun and controlled way (yes like the tank in WOW when you pull those mobs) to keep aggro off my now squishy prawns.

on the flip side prawns dont always need anal so you dont have to equip the thing if you dont want to die.

Also the fact I still dont think you got enough to "trade me"" for that sniper nerf strengthens the position that it does need a nerf because it obviously way up there in power levels as it is.

Thats my initial impression as we get more details of the rebalance it may change.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:14 am
Profile WWW
Main: Scyron
Level: 8194

s_m_w wrote:
Any changes to classes will be followed up with adjustments to ubers, primarily olympus, mausoleum and alien bosses as well as other bosses such as Red Photon and Timotheus, the Red Nightfury.

None of the changes will go live this universe and every change will be on a test server long before it will come into effect. The changes itself are going to be iterative in nature, which means that we will change each class little by little until it is at the point where we want it to be.

I'd say this sounds like AIs will get changed to compensate class changes, and that it will be implemented in a controlled manner. To constantly post "I know how things have been handled in the past, I know shit always happens and will always continue to happen" doesn't add anything of value at all. The fact that this goes in on test server first shows that there will be time for player feedback before it goes live, which is great.

The whole point of the rebalance is to make more classes required in squads. I think the current system sucks, where one player can MC one prawn sniper and 9 HM Shms and do anything in-game while only controlling the sniper. I think it'd be awesome if the toughest bosses in-game require a squad with one of each class, and then fill up on Shms for the remaining slots. (Or have engineer/FC aug+gear for support healing.) That'd make it harder for those who've built their squads around just 3-4 classes, but it would definately make the game more interesting, and would give those who prefer playing gunners, SDs and seers a chance to use their favorite chars.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:45 am
Profile WWW

like i said I'd like to see zerk back in on the action and the only way they gonna get in my t22 squad is via being able to properly control aggro. At the moment I dont think they do or if they do the mechanism isnt well enough done

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:05 am
Profile WWW
Main: Scyron
Level: 8194

Zerks I definately agree with, they are the tank and need to be able to pull aggro to tank. If it's just the case of the Reaver-auged Prawn sniper grabbing aggro from main boss then the players have just set up a poor squad. When it's about just entering a new galaxy, or lots of spawn that appears, or a mini-boss that comes along, or whatnot, then the Zerk definately should have all the tools available to grab aggro quickly. That's currently not the case, and would be a great addition.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:23 am
Profile WWW
Content Dev
Main: s_m_w
Level: 1512

AI are getting rebalanced as well, don't worry

Get the Beta Client here and test new features and changes on the test server

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:35 am
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

@Scyron
I think it would be better if bosses required:
- A primary tank: the majority of incoming dps is going to this person, and should normally be attributed to the main boss and or mini bosses.
- A secondary tank: the incoming dps that is not going directly to the primary tank comes to this person. He will be dealing with soaking up spawn dps so the spawn can't disrupt the main tank and cause the big boss from nuking the crap out of everyone else.
- Some DPS classes: to kill the boss and or mini bosses.
- At least one anti-spawn guy: To murder the annoying brats that try to disrupt the main operation.
- Some healers: Whether or not these guys be Monkeys or Engineers or entirely different classes is up to the run itself.
- One or two supports: The nature of support shouldn't require there to be more than two people, since they aren't truly needed. They're a great help, but almost every run shouldn't need a dedicated support guy.

The boss (and or mini bosses) will determine what classes you bring. It puts more emphasis on the boss itself and how one boss differs from another boss. You also can't make one specific group of setups and expect to solo MC or group content through almost all ubers. It also means more people can be rotated into fights instead of "Oh, we just need Scy's seer, Jey's FC, and Spatzz's Engi. Olympus doesn't need your zerk, redalert."

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:42 am
Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: yclept
Level: 2002

Jey... stirring up trouble :?

@saber198
There is no forum post for AI that are being considered for rebalance simply because we haven't made an exhaustive list yet. However, this very post does already contain some information on that topic.

Quote:
Any changes to classes will be followed up with adjustments to ubers, primarily olympus, mausoleum and alien bosses as well as other bosses such as Red Photon and Timotheus, the Red Nightfury.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. You may know me in-game as enkelin. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:43 am

Please don't homogenize the classes too much just to allow them to be able to do solo content. Perhaps consider fixing slave usage for those classes who are not viable solo classes, leaving their core characteristics for runs.

Wow does this well in that every class can do the pve storylines yet are distinct and functional in runs.

RC is such a fun aspect of the game it would be cool if you could make slaves viable for all classes for dging to make up their flaws

Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:55 am
Profile WWW