Team: Aidelon
Main: Aridross
Level: 4150

Post Re: Dev Questions weekly!
Alright, a week or two ago RedAlert came up with questions for Mr jeff. however, he was the first dev these questions went to. but, he had good ideas, so I'm gonna steal them for this week's dev questions: JeffL round two!

so, here are redalert's questions:
1. Where do you see Star Sonata in 5-10 years?
2. How many active players would you like to see on Star Sonata average?
3. Do you play any other game besides SS?
and i'll add:
4. what are your thoughts on my little idea of these dev questions?

and thanks also go to lordjeroen, whose (kind of) whining convinced me to bring the questioning back around to Jeff!

Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:59 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: number666.5
Level: 8923

np

Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:13 pm

Alright, not sure if I've polled him or not, but this week's
Q & A is for The Suit.

A. hours of SS played weekly?
B. recent content influenced?
and C. Is Skyward REALLY an idiot for attempting the fuzz glitch? oh, and for the the uneducated, you'd best explain the fuzz glitch when responding. oh, and JeffL, PLEASE answer my second round of questions!

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:01 pm
Team: The Districs Colonies
Main: Maxine Maximus Maxwell
Level: 43

Bonecrusher wrote:

JeffL wrote:
Adum started the game, and fairly quickly Mooster & I joined him.

It's too bad that none of you knew what you were talking about. You probably lost more players because of the mislabeling of items.
1. Drone s/b MINE
2. Slave s/b DRONE

3. Suns doing damage ... pilots fly around them DUH!
4. Then adding stupid effects that have no sceintific basis.

5. None of you could navigate a toy boat in a bathtub. A 'slave' enters a gal and heads to a base... playing catch-up rather than heading to where the base will be when it gets there. If you three knot heads had been working for NASA we'd have never landed on the Moon or Mars.

It's not too late to fix the blatent errors and correct the science.

I quit playing Star Sonata 1 because I suspected that Star Sonata 1 was messing up my Computer Monitor Graphics.

"Suns doing damage to Ships as the Player past over them" was never a factor in my disliking Star Sonata 1; in fact, I welcomed that feature.

I don't know what "Stupid Effects that had no Scientific Basis" you are talking about. Then again, Star Sonata is a Futuristic Sci-Fi Game System; thus, there would be unrealistic Science & Technology Content & Features & Effects within the Star Sonata Game System.

Just so you know, I would really like to play a Modern Day/Near Future (1900AD thru 2200AD) Outerspace Sci-Fi Video Game System featuring Real Life Sciences & Technologies; and, not Fictional Sciences & Technologies such of Star Trek and Doctor Who and Star Wars and Robotech / Macross Saga and Traveller RPG and Star Frontiers RPG and Privateer fame.

Color = #FF8000 -- Copied Quotes
Color = #0040FF -- My Own Posting Text

Last edited by Flower Child on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:36 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3279

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
Flower Child wrote:
not Fictional Sciences & Technologies such of Star Trek and [b]Doctor Who[/b] and [i]Star Wars

And you just lost my respect. Do some reading and educate yourself. Most of the technologies portrayed (in Star Trek, at least) are the simulated realities of technologies we know can be made NOW. Warp drive has been proven to work (by NASA, no less) in the small scale, we just don't have the manufacturing ability to create them on the larger scale. Phasers are probably simple electromagnetically contained plasma beams. Replicators are hyper-advanced versions of 3D printers. Light itself exists as a particle and a wave, supporting Holodecks and again, replicators.

As for Star Wars, again, their "lasers" are electromagnetically contained plasma blasts. "Hyperspace" could be entering a generated wormhole or the Alcubierre version of warping space. More likely the Alcubierre version given what the stars look like.

As for Doctor Who:
You insulted Doctor Who. Die.

However, you're also ragging on Bonecrusher, which wins you back some respect points :P

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:44 pm

JeffL wrote:

Part of the art of game creation is doing things a little bit differently to create a unique feel. We are not trying to create a science fiction virtual reality simulation.

I like playing Star Sonata because I can own multiple Starships; unlike, in Privateer where I can only own 1 at a time; and, because I can engage in Non-Combat & Merchantile Activities and Own & Operate Space Stations.

I like playing Privateer because it is a 3D Spaceflight Simulator; in which, I can engage in Non-Combat and Merchantile Activities.

I am of the ""!!! NO WEAPONS IN OUTERSPACE !!!" mentality; because, I was a Pre-Teen during The First Space Race Era; thus, I am a devout believer in Earth Humans being able to peacefully Inhabit & Explore Outerspace and other Celestial Bodies.

Star Sonata 1 did have a lot Text Spelling Errors; as well as, Equipment Data Errors. Then again, Star Sonata 1 had 100 times more Player Interactive Spaceships and Spaceship Systems and Commodities than what Privateer had.

Still, I did think that the Star Sonata 1 Creators should have had a better grip on such Game System Errors.

I am back with Star Sonata; because, I did like the Game System Mechanics Concept of Star Sonata.

Last edited by Flower Child on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:55 pm

thecrazygamemaster wrote:
Flower Child wrote:
not Fictional Sciences & Technologies such of Star Trek and Doctor Who and Star Wars

And you just lost my respect. Do some reading and educate yourself. Most of the technologies portrayed (in Star Trek, at least) are the simulated realities of technologies we know can be made NOW. Warp drive has been proven to work (by NASA, no less) in the small scale, we just don't have the manufacturing ability to create them on the larger scale. Phasers are probably simple electromagnetically contained plasma beams. Replicators are hyper-advanced versions of 3D printers. Light itself exists as a particle and a wave, supporting Holodecks and again, replicators.

As for Star Wars, again, their "lasers" are electromagnetically contained plasma blasts. "Hyperspace" could be entering a generated wormhole or the Alcubierre version of warping space. More likely the Alcubierre version given what the stars look like.

As for Doctor Who:
You insulted Doctor Who. Die.

However, you're also ragging on Bonecrusher, which wins you back some respect points :P

Okay...Some of the Sciences & Technologies portrayed in Star Trek are now relevant Real Life Sciences & Technologies. However, Spacecraft Design in Star Trek is 100% unrealistic.

The Time Lord Sciences & Technologies is 100% unrealistic.

The Star Wars Light Sabre and other Weapon Systems and Spacecraft Designs are 100% unrealistic.

Even so, that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy watching Star Trek and Doctor Who and Star Wars.

I grew up on the Original Star Trek TV Series and the Doctor Who TV Series; and, they were instrumental in my creation of the FLOWER CHILD PROJECT Manned Spacecraft Design Concepts for Real Life Outerspace Exploration & Commercialization (beyond Satellite Networking) & Colonization of Outerspace & Luna & Mars in the 21st Century.

There is a difference between Real Life Sciences & Technologies and Fictional Sciences & Technologies.

The only real problem with the Doctor Who TV Series that I have is that Doctor Who is primarily a Sci-Fi Horror Storyline. Extra-Terrestrials trying to kill or enslave or consume Earth Humans. "!!!Be afraid ETs are out to get us!!!"

The Doctor is a peace loving Explorer/Tourist; but, he is always encountering situations in which some ET, or Earth Human, is engaged in some hostile activity against other lifeforms; and, The Doctor feels compelled to prevent such wrong-doings from occurring.

The Doctor is a Scientist & Engineer; and, created his Sonic Screwdriver in the 1960s/1970s TV Series. The Y2K+ Doctors are given new Sonic Screwdrivers by the T.A.R.D.I.S.; instead of, The Doctor spending time putting one together himself.

Pertwee and Tom Baker are my favorite Doctors.

It is because of Doctor Who that I have the desire to Own & Operate my own spacecraft for the purpose of exploring Outerspace and other Celestial Bodies. It is because of my desire to Own & Operate my own Spacecraft that I am interested in Outerspace Sci-Fi Game Systems like Traveller RPG and Star Frontiers RPG and Privateer and Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords and Star Sonata and Exorace. At the time that I was creating my own Fictional Spaceship Designs using Spaceship Design Rules from the Traveller RPG and Star Frontiers RPG Systems, President Ronald Reagan proposed Space Station "Freedom" in its many variations. It was during the Space Station "Freedom" time period that I became interested in what is realistic Spacecraft Design and what is Fictional Spacecraft Design; thus, I came up with my own Real Life Space Design Concept back in 1986. By 1993, that Spacecraft Design Concept had evolved into my FLOWER CHILD PROJECT.

I am not a very good Pencil-N-Paper RPGer; thus, as a Soloist Pencil-N-Paper RPGer, I was unable to create my own Solo RPG Adventures & Campaigns; thus, I became interested in PC Desktop Video Games as an Alternative Platform for my RPGing.

Before there was the Warcraft: Orcs Vs Humans and Age Of Empires and MechWarrior Video Games, there were no Personal Computer Video Games; and, NES Mario World was the most advanced Video Game at the time. It was at this time that I became involved in Computer Programming with the GW-BASIC Computer Programming Language. My GW-BASIC Computer Programming Projects included creating Video Game Versions of the Game Systems that I was Soloing but were designed as Multi-Player Game Systems; and, creating Artificial Intelligence Programming for Video RPG NPCs and for Real Life Automatons. I quickly became aware of the shortcomings of GW-BASIC; but, wasn't able to find a more advanced Computer Language Compiler until 2005; and even then, none of the Compilers that I found allowed me to do with Video Graphics what I could do using GW-BASIC; thus, I am not skilled with any Y2K+ Computer Language Coding.

It is because of Apollo 8 and Apollo 11 that I do believe in Humans Inhabiting and Exploring Outerspace and other Celestial Bodies. It is because of the USA Astronauts and USSR Cosmonauts respect towards each other as On-World & Off-World Friends & Colleagues that I do believe in "!!! NO WEAPONS IN OUTERSPACE !!!".

Some Real Life Deep Space Unmanned Exploration Spacecraft designs do utilize Ion Drives as Propulsion Systems.

Last edited by Flower Child on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:13 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

This is not even remotely related to the original topic, or even Star Sonata. I will (regretfully) be locking this post if that does not change immediately.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:18 pm

anilv wrote:

This is not even remotely related to the original topic, or even Star Sonata. I will (regretfully) be locking this post if that does not change immediately.

I haven't seen any Star Sonata Creator Team Member answer any of the Questions in this Topic Thread for some time now. Bags was the last one and Page 3.

My 1st Reply is on Page 5.

My Last Reply is in response to an Accusation Reply directed at me; which, the Accusation Reply itself was Off-Topic.

Since Star Sonata 1 has been deactivated and Star Sonata 2 is in Alpha/Beta Mode, I guess I will have to wait a bit for me to play Star Sonata again.

In Star Sonata 1, I had like 20 Ships located on a half dozen NPC Bases. Most of my Ships were serving as Storage Depots for all kinds of stuff that I had collected. About half of my Storage Depot Ships were completely filled. I had a few Active Ship Designs. Some were Dedicated Fighters. Some were Dedicated Miners. Some were Multi-Purpose Designs. A few of my Active Ship Designs had to share Ship Systems Equipment; thus, I would be transferring certain Ship Systems from one Active Ship to make another Active Ship to make the another Active Ship operable.

Some Collected Stuff were Ship Systems that I was saving for a Future Ship Design that I would add them to make my ultimate Ship Design. Some Collected Stuff were Commodities that I couldn't Sell at known Bases. Some Collected Stuff were Items that I was saving up for Future In-Game Activities.

My Possession Logistics was very complicated; especially; when I was transferring Possessions to a New Base Of Operations.

I do like the New Skill System.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:01 pm

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE DEVELOPERS
The following Items are Options that show up in my Log-In Pop-Up when I try to Play Star Sonata.

A: ?What are the Following Items?
B: ?What do the Following Items do?

- Pixel Depth
- Resolution
- Graphics Quality
- Use Hardware Cursor
- Vertical Sync
- Orthographic Camera (ALPHA)
- DDS Textures
- Preload Textures
- High Quality Textures

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:03 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Flower Child wrote:

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE DEVELOPERS
The following Items are Options that show up in my Log-In Pop-Up when I try to Play Star Sonata.

A: ?What are the Following Items?
B: ?What do the Following Items do?

- Pixel Depth
- Resolution
- Graphics Quality
- Use Hardware Cursor
- Vertical Sync
- Orthographic Camera (ALPHA)
- DDS Textures
- Preload Textures
- High Quality Textures

I'll answer these here (I should really split this post out into a new one, but it seems I can't right now).

Pixel depth:
This is the 'quality' of colouring used. Older people will remember the days of 8 bit graphics, these days most computers use 16, 24 or 32 bit colouring models,quality it's relevant to the number of different colours you can get from each one (eg, 8 bit = 256 individual colours, 24 bit = 16 million). This setting has no effect if you run Star Sonata in windowed mode, and whatever your display is set to normally use will be used. You can read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth

Resolution:
This is how 'big' the game appears on your screen. The amount of space it will take up will depend on your screen size and display settings (resolution, again). The auto option for resolution in windowed mode takes your native resolution and removes a small part, so you have a small area around which you can click to get to other applications (same as alt+tab or using the task bar to switch).

You can change this on the fly by resizing the sides of the window like any other windowed application.

Graphics Quality:
This one gets a bit complicated, but I'll try to keep it short.

Some visages (how stuff appears in games, like drones, bases, suns, wormholes, background effects and just about everything else) have settings to only be visible if you have a certain graphics level turned on. This lets us not flood low-end computers with intense amounts of things which would cause lots of lag for the user. Commonly this is particles and multi layered backgrounds.

At medium and above we start using things called shaders. Shaders modify what you see in certain ways, and allow us to do new things. Players using graphic levels medium and above can see this in the form of things like glow maps, they make parts of things, well glow. A good example of this would be the modules on the Earthforce capital ships and the colours on the Paxian ships.

At Very High graphics, two new options become available, SSAO and HDR. SSAO is a special algorithm for calculating fancy looking shadows (it's a bit more complex than that). HDR stands for High Dynamic Range, and again is a shader effect that makes things look more colourful and detailed, even at lower lighting levels. You can read about SSAO and HDR on the following links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_spa ... _occlusion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynam ... _rendering

Use Hardware Cursor:
We have special cursors in game which change for different things (like your mouse cursor changes from a pointer to a claret shape when you hover over a text field). This option simply toggles whether to use that or what your computer normally uses.

Vertical Sync:
This makes sure that the game's frame rate (the speed it sends new data to the display device) is the same as what the display device is. Turning this on can eliminate issues like tearing and partial frames being rendered (displayed).

Orthographic camera:
By default, the camera you get is 'perspective', how you would see things in real life. Orthographic forces the camera to be facing down and the angle isn't changeable. It also causes everything else to appear 'flat'. In orthographic mode you don't see the 'speed bump' effect (flying over suns) and ships don't roll as they turn. This is to recreate how client 1 looked like. Personally I think it also removes parallax errors (issues caused by looking at an object from a different angle to normal (like trying to read a clock when you're sitting under it instead of 5 meters away)).

DDS Textures:
This feature uses special compression algorithms to reduce the texture sizes, and therefore reduce the amount of memory the client needs to run. The downside is that to do this, the client has to generate the DDS textures the first time it's run (and again for any new textures added), however the bonus is definitely worth it. DDS textures offer around 50% memory reduction if I remember correctly, and at no noticeable quality loss. This option you should be using (unless you have a really old computer which doesn't support it).

Preload Textures:
This option causes commonly used textures to be loaded into memory when the Death Striker loading graphic appears before you can log in. This causes a slightly longer start up time, but means that when you jump into a galaxy that needs a texture, it doesn't need to be loaded from the hard drive. Essentially you should use this option if you have lots of memory free before you start the client (RAM, about 2GB+) and you want to avoid a small lag (less than two seconds) sometimes when jumping into new galaxies.

High Quality Textures:
This option basically scales down all the textures we use. At the cost of lower quality you get less memory use when running the client.
There isn't a case where you'd want to use low quality textures instead of DDS versions unless your graphics card doesn't support DDS.

Support

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:41 am

well, here's the thing. the last several posts have been 100% off-topic. even you, blue dwarf! now, let's get back to the topic before anilv locks it, and lets get some devs actually answering questions again! BTW, the last two sets are still waiting for answers.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:59 am

I just returned to read what's new.

I Edited a Typo in one of my Postings..."Doctor Who" wasn't in the proper Font Format that I was using.

The Devs have rendering this Topic Thread DEAD by not Answering any Questions Posted here.

Thanks for Answering my Questions. I made a Printout of your Answers.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:10 pm