Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Post Re: Base Rebalance
lordjeroen wrote:
is it possible to get basses be non-tractorable from an item made in the base from a BP that takes like 24 hours? and for drones something that can be put in like an aug.

that way a defender can already have all its basses non-tractorable and the attacker can have it after 24 hours. that way BvB tractoring problems would be solved.

for drones it wouldnt make sense if they can be always non-tractorable while bases needs an item

I like this.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:53 pm
Main: Lupusregina Beta
Level: 4903

heylo wrote:
lordjeroen wrote:
is it possible to get basses be non-tractorable from an item made in the base from a BP that takes like 24 hours? and for drones something that can be put in like an aug.

that way a defender can already have all its basses non-tractorable and the attacker can have it after 24 hours. that way BvB tractoring problems would be solved.

for drones it wouldnt make sense if they can be always non-tractorable while bases needs an item

I like this.

Let's make base adum blocker too please? Cause its not carebear enought.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:19 am
Main: ThisIsKalrizian
Level: 0

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54402
well then.

Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:09 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Neba wrote:
http://forum.starsonata.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54402
well then.

Looks like it's in line with what you suggested back then; or is that what you are getting at?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:56 am
Main: ThisIsKalrizian
Level: 0

anilv wrote:
Neba wrote:
http://forum.starsonata.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54402
well then.

Looks like it's in line with what you suggested back then; or is that what you are getting at?

That was in fact the what I was trying to convey yes.

Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:32 pm
Main: Gunslinger Myrtok
Level: 2640

yclepticon wrote:
Quote:
T22 bases

I am glad someone is thinking ahead! Indeed there are plans in the works to finally bring out SM 22 and Tech 21+ base gear, kits, and augs. However, there will be at least 1 uni between the base rebalance and that, to give everyone a chance to get used to the new system. However, I do not agree that SM 22 would be the best way to balance bases. It will only affect balance for the most endgame teams who start using T22 bases extensively; lower tier teams will not be using much T22 at all and making sure that bases are balanced for them as well is just as important to me.

If your team of newbies is building Andaman bases or Achilles bases, then of course they should get steamrolled by a squad of players in T22 ships. That's what level caps are for. If your newbies are within the level limits of teams that have entire squads of T22 players, then they aren't really newbies, and they should be building T22 bases of their own.

IMHO, most of this could be fixed by introducing T22 bases. Keeping a limit on the number of BvB bases which can be deployed offensively is a better way to limit the arms race. Look, I'm on a team full of players with multiple accounts and so much ada gear that it's practically considered disposable. If I was looking for a personal advantage here, then the ability to spam unlimited ada kits offensively is in our favor (though personally I abhor BvB).

If someone can muster 10 prawns with the requisite support ships to kill my galaxy, then that would suck, but I would feel like the team that defeated me had earned it fair and square. I would feel better about that than knowing that someone simply paid 10 bucks to activate the sub on the account of a retired player and spammed me with his ada gear.

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:36 pm
Team: Zephyr
Main: ashta the 2nd
Level: 3810

Unlimited bvb slots is just retarded. Base gear is disposable and you can build bases out of range of the gal then tractor them in range when they are all set up therefore inevitably making bvb a formality that will always end in the offensive players taking the victory as the defense is limited. Add this to the fact SS (despite what numbers you pull up) is relatively inactive at the end game level means the chances of catching a team asleep and then having free reign to set up as many bases as you want makes it even more inevitable. BvB should be a mix of tactics, player strength and well set out assault bases not assault base spam. Just look at the battle of solitude on youtube, that was a fantastic battle and involved the use of zerker dreads built to tank magcannons and give the benefit of an aura as well. Add onto that the roaming SD's disrupting the defence and the healers keeping everything alive and it was almost like a game of chess and the result was never pre-determined. Implementing this change will abolish any tactical element and implement the spam-to-win system, surely you can be more creative than that. :?

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:47 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Dorin Nube wrote:
If your team of newbies is building Andaman bases or Achilles bases, then of course they should get steamrolled by a squad of players in T22 ships. That's what level caps are for. If your newbies are within the level limits of teams that have entire squads of T22 players, then they aren't really newbies, and they should be building T22 bases of their own.

Tsk, argument by hyperbole. You know better than that! Of course the devil is in the details here. There are plenty of players with nominally endgame skills but simply far lower affluence than the endgame tier. There are a few serious consequences of this. For one, those players usually have not yet had the chance to develop a whole account full of alts, or to level up whole new accounts of alts. This means that they are at a disadvantage in both galaxy defense and industry, which means their galaxies will on average be weaker and also less economically productive. They've also not had the opportunity to stockpile replacement base gear, and so they stand to lose a lot more if they deploy it all for defense. Finally, they usually have not yet had as much experience with galaxy assault/defense as the endgame tier, which means that their defense configurations will usually be less effective even with the same degree of investment. The current problem is that the learning curve is too steep, and punishments too great. Adding T22 bases on top without adjusting the curve does nothing to solve that problem.

IMHO, most of this could be fixed by introducing T22 bases. Keeping a limit on the number of BvB bases which can be deployed offensively is a better way to limit the arms race. Look, I'm on a team full of players with multiple accounts and so much ada gear that it's practically considered disposable. If I was looking for a personal advantage here, then the ability to spam unlimited ada kits offensively is in our favor (though personally I abhor BvB).

If someone can muster 10 prawns with the requisite support ships to kill my galaxy, then that would suck, but I would feel like the team that defeated me had earned it fair and square. I would feel better about that than knowing that someone simply paid 10 bucks to activate the sub on the account of a retired player and spammed me with his ada gear.

I really think you've simply been gone too long to have a good handle on the current PvB/BvB climate. There are just many things wrong with these statements. For one, if you think that any clown who gets his hands on a stacked account can simply spam BvB kits to win, you are seriously mistaken about the degree of finesse required. If your galaxy requires 10 Prawns plus support to kill, I guarantee it will require at least as much finesse, not mention far greater expense in time and resources, to take down with a BvB.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:51 pm
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Pure Evil
Level: 5292

Will post this i doubt anyone will read it though.

This is a great idea only flaw is the unlimited base slots for the attackers.. Maybe just increasing from 2 to like 4-5?

The real issue is that there's no tech 21 or 22 base gear or kits yet to balance the game.

The cheaper gear/kits is great, i love it (this will help gain t21 and 22 base gear for all players).

The increase in base stats is also great (check and include the drones though).

I also like the anti tractor idea where only team members can tractor there own stuff.

Fix the bug where you can just war the director, to war a whole team. Totally avoids the costs to war entire teams.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:00 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Loving most of these ideas, although I don't like unlimited slots for attackers. Beefing the number to 4 would be a huge increase in power for attackers. Maybe 6.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:14 am
Main: Gunslinger Myrtok
Level: 2640

anilv wrote:
Dorin Nube wrote:

Tsk, argument by hyperbole. You know better than that! Of course the devil is in the details here. There are plenty of players with nominally endgame skills but simply far lower affluence than the endgame tier. There are a few serious consequences of this. For one, those players usually have not yet had the chance to develop a whole account full of alts, or to level up whole new accounts of alts. This means that they are at a disadvantage in both galaxy defense and industry, which means their galaxies will on average be weaker and also less economically productive. They've also not had the opportunity to stockpile replacement base gear, and so they stand to lose a lot more if they deploy it all for defense. Finally, they usually have not yet had as much experience with galaxy assault/defense as the endgame tier, which means that their defense configurations will usually be less effective even with the same degree of investment. The current problem is that the learning curve is too steep, and punishments too great. Adding T22 bases on top without adjusting the curve does nothing to solve that problem.

I really think you've simply been gone too long to have a good handle on the current PvB/BvB climate. There are just many things wrong with these statements. For one, if you think that any clown who gets his hands on a stacked account can simply spam BvB kits to win, you are seriously mistaken about the degree of finesse required. If your galaxy requires 10 Prawns plus support to kill, I guarantee it will require at least as much finesse, not mention far greater expense in time and resources, to take down with a BvB.

I'm sure there is a lot of truth in your statement about my having been gone for too long - I'll even tack onto that the willing admission that I was never any good at BvB even before I left. I left that up to players who enjoyed it (and had many accounts for base slots), and I just did the PvP / PvB parts, supported by their bases when necessary.

What I fail to understand is how doubling the stats of bases is supposed to actually help these mid-level players. You say they don't have the wealth or the "wisdom" to do proper BvB. Ok. I'm down with that, but if all base stats are doubled, then doesn't that just mean that the big, rich, experienced team BvBing them will also be using doubly-strong bases? (and using them properly at that!) If these players you're worried about don't have the skills and coin to do proper BvB, then all that this "base beef" accomplishes is to make it impossible for anyone other than the biggest, richest teams to partake in any kind of *vB. PvB against slightly weaker teams is how those mid-level players learn to fight galaxies. The beef requires them to do exactly what you say they're not capable of doing - proper BvB.

The real result of this idea will be that the biggest, richest teams will still be able to kill whomever they want through BvB using their own beefed bases, but the bar to entry for galaxy-wide combat will be raised to a higher level than it was before, since those mid-level players won't be able to PvB anymore. With huge chunks of the universe being non-pvp zones, and big chunks guarded by un-PvBable bases, wars won't even be an option for those players anymore.

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:52 pm
Main: Rhys
Level: 3919

Dorin Nube wrote:
the bar to entry for galaxy-wide combat will be raised to a higher level than it was before

I think that is one goal of the base re-balance.

In my observation, the past few years have been rather scant of uni-wide and/or large scale PvP. The reason? Teams, specifically their leadership, realized that bases were weak in general. Building well-defended galaxies was/is a daunting series of tasks for the average Sonatan.

As a result, teams built.... like shit. And over time, it was realized that there was this 'mutually assured destruction' between the larger teams, i.e. a cold war. This M-A-D was the key barrier we (Traders) chose not to go war over minor hostilities in the past - e.g. what happens in Anatolia stays in Anatolia. Who in their right mind, would want to war, when what that basically meant, is a death sentence for your team and theirs (of ~ equal strength). So yes indeed, the bar was too low.

The new system, so far as I can understand it, sets a higher commitment for wars, but at least ensures your bases won't get wiped in one swift offensive, like what happened this universe (so far) to SP, Aidelon, and potentially would've to RE/Zephyr if no settlement. And yes, this means richer, larger teams, can wage war better than a smaller, less wealthy team (I'm not seeing what the problem is here). The result though, in theory, is a more hostile universe as teams come to understand the new political landscape caused by this re-balance.

Like I've already posted in this thread earlier: higher commitment & assets in order to wage war, would in fact, be beneficial for noob teams on the defensive (in fact, all teams on the defensive in most circumstances). While the offensive PvB option may be diminished, I think the trade-off is worth it. That is more PvP, on a large scale, can be expected. Maybe I'll even help with that :P.

Oh and one more thing I like about this change, with base gear being streamlined and easier (but still costly per uni) to obtain, it reduces the possibility that you will be sent back into the stone age (with respect to building) when all your bases have been capped and demo'ed.

Last edited by Rounder on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:06 pm
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

One thing I'm curious about: will base weps get their range beefed? I mean, their DPS is going to increase, their DPE will probably decrease since the base energys will be getting more regen (I think?). So Damage and regen wise, yes everything gets a 2x boost. But what about the range? At the moment most of us barely use range augs on our bases since the sniper bonuses cover that aspect.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Last edited by DarkSteel on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:05 am
Team: Traders
Main: DefQon1
Level: 5100

unlimited bvb slot is retarded.
But i do enjoy my outpost idea :P but i feel like the outpost mechanics mixed with the unlimited bvb slot is too much. Instead should keep it how it is or increase it to 3~ but make siege kits instead that are more durable in assaulting.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:03 pm
Team: The Dividing Contrast
Main: The Ultimatum
Level: 282

kanescreed wrote:
unlimited bvb slot is retarded.
But i do enjoy my outpost idea :P but i feel like the outpost mechanics mixed with the unlimited bvb slot is too much. Instead should keep it how it is or increase it to 3~ but make siege kits instead that are more durable in assaulting.

really agree that unlimited is just too much, if anything should be 3-4 instead of two with the eventual addition of higher tech bases

Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:07 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next