Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Post Re: Suit's update on ALL THE THINGS! AI ships! Steam!
I'm really happy for you, I'm gonna let you finish, but Calypso had the best Dev posts of all time.

Please bring them back.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:42 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Camsy wrote:
Does steam mean that there'll be a proper version of the program for mac? Or would I still have to run off wine?

You'll still need to run SS in wine.

When we forked irrlicht for some reason (unknown to me) we decided to optimize for DirectX 3D and ditch OpenGL. D3D, like all of the DirectX API's, is proprietary and only run on Windows (and game consoles with previous legal twaddle in the background). For *nix (including Mac) there is OpenGL. While it's possible to compile SS client to use OpenGL instead of D3D it's less performant and worse looking than when C2 was released.

Support

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:44 pm
Team: Red Faction
Main: Lithium
Level: 3185

I'll say this once and only once, the leveling is too hard and getting skills is extremely difficult. People who play this game will not appreciate the idea of using multiple clients if they have to pay for each. There are several ways to fix this, but I will be honest, taking an approach like you have in the past to people getting up and running quick in the past will not work. This doesn't mean top players can't get ahead and progress, problems exist there too. But your steam launch could be a lot better if you just soften the blow to new players.

Estragon: Well, shall we go?
Vladimir: Yes, let's go.
[They do not move].

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:57 am
Contributor

Platinum wrote:
I'll say this once and only once, the leveling is too hard and getting skills is extremely difficult. People who play this game will not appreciate the idea of using multiple clients if they have to pay for each. There are several ways to fix this, but I will be honest, taking an approach like you have in the past to people getting up and running quick in the past will not work. This doesn't mean top players can't get ahead and progress, problems exist there too. But your steam launch could be a lot better if you just soften the blow to new players.

Very few agree with that line of thinking. We've been arguing about that for a long time, and the Old Guard are stubbornly stuck in their ways of thinking it isn't a problem and people shouldn't be trying to actively level and should just explore things and "play the game" because its a "sandbox"... :roll:

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:01 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

IDK which old guard you are talking about. I also feel the game's not inviting enough to new players. I don't claim that there aren't good ways to level; Caly has added a lot of mid-range content including lots of mission XP. What remains is a problem that the game is very tough if you try to strike out on your own. I took an EFBC with decent gear and 9 Paxi slaves out into deep warp 2 EF and got my ass absolutely handed to me, over and over.

So my point is that either the game isn't clear enough about what paths are going to be successful, or the consequences for trying something suboptimal are just way too severe. I am not asking for in-game tutorials to help players get on the right track, but just pointing out that if you don't happen to make good choices you are going to have a bad time.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:29 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

You can level up with any gear in other MMOs. In SS you need good gear and augs for leveling. Easy fix: give -stat skills for all low-mid level AIs.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:56 am
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Error Message
Level: 3306

The game misses directions and help after starting area you are still pretty much thrown in the deep and it's just to tough to be succesfull on your own, so if you dont join a good and friendly newbie team explaining you the basics you'll just quit.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:11 pm
Team: Red Faction
Main: Lithium
Level: 3185

Antilzah wrote:
You can level up with any gear in other MMOs. In SS you need good gear and augs for leveling. Easy fix: give -stat skills for all low-mid level AIs.

+1

Estragon: Well, shall we go?
Vladimir: Yes, let's go.
[They do not move].

Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:00 pm
Main: wal-e
Level: 3167

hehehehehe! Got meh! I was like... What day is it today? Oh F**K! its Saturday!

IDK, I have not really been effected by the changes over the years so much as all you players who have been playing for a lot longer than me. (I think I started in 2008?).
My level of involvement is not as immersed as you. But I still love this game none-the-less and prolly always will.
I think the main reason is the player base, small it might be; it is still so damn entertaining and fun to be a part of. Thank you guys! <3

On the subject of Nexus and SS infancy:
I have started a couple of silly little F2P accounts over the years along side my main P2P.
Though they never eventuated into much (I focused my attention on my P2P) I find levelling has gotten easier...

yeah... :D

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:09 pm
Team: Soup
Main: Prolex
Level: 2241

Platinum wrote:
Antilzah wrote:

+1

+1

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:54 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Kinetic
Level: 4707

prolex wrote:
Platinum wrote:
Antilzah wrote:

+1

+1

=2

Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:12 pm
Team: Whitebeard Pirates
Main: Putty
Level: 2916

It is soo much easier to level now then what it use to be, have you seen missiles? or MagCannon devices?

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:27 am
Contributor

93578 wrote:
It is soo much easier to level now then what it use to be, have you seen missiles? or MagCannon devices?

Super Items and Missiles are like super strong antibiotics. They treat the immediate infection, but create a far worse problem later on down the line.

I really wish they were more about crowd control and utility than damage. Sadly you can kill Big Greens with missiles at a far earlier level than you could with slaves/drones/fighters.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:02 pm
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Error Message
Level: 3306

prolex wrote:
Platinum wrote:
Antilzah wrote:

+1

+1

This is not the solution at all, i wholeheartedly agree with what enkelin said before and believe that the lack of direction and more tutorial-like gameplay is what's missing and causing players not to reach mid/endgame.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:22 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

anilv wrote:
So my point is that either the game isn't clear enough about what paths are going to be successful, or the consequences for trying something suboptimal are just way too severe. I am not asking for in-game tutorials to help players get on the right track, but just pointing out that if you don't happen to make good choices you are going to have a bad time.

Not asking for tutorials. If the game needs to take time to teach itself to players, it's too complicated. BUT it still is way too hard if you just freestyle it instead of leveling up the easy ways that experienced players know about. This could be addressed by lightening up AI aggro in EF layer and getting rid of all the AI teams. You should not get camped indefinitely by half a dozen SBG just because you accidentally aggroed them.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:29 pm