Post New servers / migration soon.
Discussion topic for post: http://www.starsonata.com/blog/new-serv ... tion-soon/

Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:56 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Kinetic
Level: 4707

Post Re: New servers / migration soon.
this seems great

Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:23 pm
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Any expected (massive) downtime?

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:25 pm
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Error Message
Level: 3306

Omg server migration the end is nigh!!! No but seriously it looks good!

Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:29 pm
Dev Team
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

downtime will be announced quite a bit ahead of time. I cant predict exactly how long it will be, but it will be as short as possible (its still needed to copy over the dynamic data like the database / unisave etc).

Everything that can be done without downtime will be done before.

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:45 pm
Main: Pure Evil
Level: 5292

I'm assuming a typo for the new server having very old "ddr" ram and not "ddr3". + wheres ddr4 or UltraDimms?!? :x

I'll be interested to see how data traffic shaping is performed when you have these servers pumping data across the internet.

Nice to see though the database will be on SSDs. Would be nice to know how many SSDs are in that raid array (I'm assuming 5+)~ :mrgreen:

Overall awesome I hope it works well with switching from AMD to Intel.

Get more ram and make a ramdisk! Ramdisk the whole thing!!!!!!! 640GB of ddr3 ramdisk will solve everything! lol

Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:05 pm
Dev Team

its indeed ddr3 (the 1600mhz should had hinted that, but i fixed the text :P)

as for the ssd raid, its only 2 ssd in raid1 (one of the limitations with OVH that i find rather annoying and silly is their hardware customisation, theres basically none unless you go for the extremely high cost service xD)

for the dedicated server we took (enterprise dedicated on their website) your only given a list of specific hdd configurations and you have to make due with it (you cant add / remove disks at your leasure).

Altho they do give you full control over the hardware configuration including the raid arrays so you get to decide how everything is setup, but the specific hardware you get to work with is rather restrictive (I assume its to simplify the techs job, if every server of model x are identical it makes things a lot easier for them).

still were going from 3 15k rpm in raid1 to 2 ssd in raid1 for the database so notable improvement either way (and quite frankly, im not that worried about both ssd failing at the same time considering we have regular full backups on external locations either way).

For the ramdrive comment, while its true ramdrive are marvelous for speed/io. Without hardware ramdrive controller (which are rather hard to find nowaday), you end up trading cpu for iospeed since your ramdrive is handled by software.
Not to mention the obvious issues when there are hardware failures/maintenance or any other reason for reboot xD.

As for the switch from amd to intel, its not really a problem since we do not use any cpu specific code (we do use a bit of x64 specific code, but that works on both amd and intel so no problems here). The compiler on the other hand is rather happy with the new cpus since it can now use a whole new array of optimized instruction sets in its optimization passes xD (probably part of the reasons why the full uni run 2.5times faster on it)

OVH basically gives us full control over the machine itself with the service (unlike most provider which give you an ssh access but limit your control over the os itself like changing the boot sector or changing bios settings for which you have to constantly contact support and have them do it for you).

With OVH we get a free kvm access to the machine, power cycling controls, the ability to change the boot to anything we want (either from their list of like 40 premade ones or from a iso you provide). Hell i could in theory boot the server using a dvd in my dvd drive thanks to their panel.

Some review actually complain about that, since people aren't used to have to do it themselves (having a server on OVH is a lot closer to handling the hardware yourself than on any other providers i ever tried xD).

What this mean is that with the exception of critical hardware failure, there's basically nothing that could happen on those server that i couldn't diagnose and fix directly without having to wait on support.

Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:10 pm
Team: Traders
Main: ZGMF
Level: 5980

this looks really nice. i went and look at the site and the package they offer is really good value. and there is a special offer too! XD

Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:25 am

Ah 2 SSD's, still that's gonna be pretty fast coming from a hhd before. :) + It'll probably out perform some of the other hardware on the same machine.

Yes I want reboot times to take 12+ hours! (RamDisk ftw) lol

Ah nice KVM is awesome!! That should make it much easier now I hope.

Some of my college mates have KVM setup between 3 machines the mouse is seamless between all 3 computers etc lol. Monitor 1 is pc1, Monitor 2 is pc2 etc...

Jey123456 wrote:
There's basically nothing that could happen on those server that i couldn't diagnose and fix directly without having to wait on support.

This still doesn't stop Jeff from tripping over the power cable! :evil:

Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:35 am
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

[quote="Markoz"]This still doesn't stop Jeff from tripping over the power cable! :evil:/quote]

With the server in an entirely different country from me, it should be pretty safe from my giant, clumsy feet.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Traders
Main: Bonehead
Level: 2447

JeffL wrote:
Markoz wrote:
This still doesn't stop Jeff from tripping over the power cable! :evil:

With the server in an entirely different country from me, it should be pretty safe from my giant, clumsy feet.

That's what proxies are for.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:45 pm
Main: RelaxAndTakeNotes
Level: 3385

Intel>AMD

Nuff said.

Also, I'm beginning to like Jey... I guess...

:wink:

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:10 pm
Dev Team

its ok they have pretty good security. Theres no way jeff could get in let alone reach a power cable ! (also, either way we have battery powered backup on both machines so there would be plenty of time for security to get Jeff out of here and tech to replug it !)

Also on the kvm thing, your college mate arent using the kvm right if they need 1 monitor per machine! If their goal is just to use same keyboard / mouse synergy was created for that very purpose. Normally home KVM are used to connect multiple computers to 1 monitor / mouse / keyboard combo.

In our case, its a remote kvm, what that means is even if the machine stop responding / wont boot etc. We can still connect to the remote kvm which then show us the screen / let us input keyboard/mouse and even devices (floppy, hdd, dvd) remotely.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:12 pm

Jey123456 wrote:
Also on the kvm thing, your college mate arent using the kvm right if they need 1 monitor per machine! If their goal is just to use same keyboard / mouse synergy was created for that very purpose. Normally home KVM are used to connect multiple computers to 1 monitor / mouse / keyboard combo.

Yeah sorry did sound pointless they had it setup like this: 3 machines > kvm device > 3 monitors, 1 mouse, 1 keyboard. I'm a terrible person at explaining things...

JeffL wrote:

Yay Jeff is alive! Btw this hasn't stopped you before despite the companies best efforts and Jeys :lol:

Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:59 am
Main: Kinetic
Level: 4707

Ninja Dog!

Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:48 pm