Post Weekly Dev Meeting - 15th April
Discussion topic for post: http://www.starsonata.com/blog/weekly-d ... 5th-april/

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:46 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Kinetic
Level: 4707

Post Re: Weekly Dev Meeting - 15th April
Gracias

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:50 pm
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Pure Evil
Level: 5292

Nice! I would like to help your steam beta! :)

Also is that a ramdisk I smell with the ram statement?!

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:53 pm
Dev Team
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

ramdisk arent that usefull. Without a dedicated hardware controller they use a lot of cpu if you cap their IO (and if you dont, why use a ramdisk !)

But database, among others, have a lot of cache setting you can play with. on the current server i optimized the database around 10gb ram usage (with up to 14gb on worst case usage scenario).

On the new one, i have yet to find ideal values, but ill probably start with around 64gb ram usage max (it likely wont ever have enough stuff to cache to reach that amount xD). What that means is that read request / frequent requests like forum / website related access, score access, login etc essentially will all end up being done from ram after their first time.

For integrity purpose, we dont cache writes in ram for the database (altho we do have a battery backed cache on the raid controller which is enabled for the database)

But yes those servers have enough ram that i honestly dont know what to do to use it ! XD (Don't worry ill use it all given time !)

The cpu speed with the new scheduler im adding to our kernel is a bit mindblowing compared to our current one (were talking, 33 server fps on our current one vs 110~ server fps on the new one with tweaks) xD. But well really only see how much of a difference it will make once the migration is done and all the load is in place. Theres still is a fair amount of work left to do before i can say the preparation for it are done and ready for the final move.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:50 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

So… can we raise base targeting range to 20k while still improving weapon desync issues?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:31 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: SunDog60
Level: 6541

Markoz wrote:
Nice! I would like to help your steam beta! :)

Same. How exactly are you going to give out the keys? Ask specific people or just take random trusty-enough people in all chat?

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:52 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

anilv wrote:
So… can we raise base targeting range to 20k while still improving weapon desync issues?

25k!

Also yea, how are we doing the beta key distribution?

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:56 pm
Dev Team
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

weapon desync issues are unrelated with server lag. And theres also a large difference between average performance and lag related spikes. Granted the lag scenarios i tested on it were on average 2.5times faster than the current liberty.

They arent not so much a server or client performance issue, and instead an inherent flaw in how their position is determined (its an iterative process so the problem is really the difference in fps between server and client).

I have a few ideas on how to address that in time, but it will likely affect more than just look (since it would imply redoing how the projectile path are determined)

As for the range, its not so much a performance issue at this point, and more a matter of balance i guess.
While range is indeed a quick way to filter the targets list to reduce the amount of ships the base have to consider when deciding its target, its not as big of a deal with the optimizations that were done in that area years ago.

As for the keys, i'm not sure how it will be done. The other devs didnt like my idea of making a blog post with say 100 keys and let people fight for them ! First come first served ! XD

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:37 pm
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Pure Evil
Level: 5292

Jey123456 wrote:
As for the keys, i'm not sure how it will be done. The other devs didnt like my idea of making a blog post with say 100 keys and let people fight for them ! First come first served ! XD

If that was the case I wont get a key :( + anyways why cant all paying players already have access to beta as a option?

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:54 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Markoz wrote:
Jey123456 wrote:

If that was the case I wont get a key :( + anyways why cant all paying players already have access to beta as a option?

If you make it forums-only, the only players in Steam Beta will be the bored as fuck vets who use the forums to start with.

I can see a reserved pool for a selected few testers, and then a forum post with a way to get them, and then an ingame way to get them as well. Maybe make the Pan-Neural Bullshits have keys attached to them somehow? Idk. Make it accessible, to f2p and p2p.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:18 am
Main: kwilson
Level: 5328

Well, if you are taking suggestions for handing out the Steam Beta keys, here is mine:

Give the Director of every team that has been active in the past 4 weeks an option to redeeem 1 key, with a 1 week redemption window.

Take the remaining keys and distribute them to the top 10 teams based upon their team score. The higher the team score, the more active players they are likely to have to redeem the keys. Let the teams decide who should get the keys.

Might be a good idea to reserve a dozen or so for the devs to hand out on a special case basis.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:49 am
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

Nice blog post.

BTW what ship is that suppose to be in the 3rd small graphic? I realize its also the same one in the SS load up screen but I never did quite piece together which in-game ship it represented. A reaver?

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:58 am
Main: Skirmish
Level: 5189

dreadlordnaf wrote:
BTW what ship is that suppose to be in the 3rd small graphic? I realize its also the same one in the SS load up screen but I never did quite piece together which in-game ship it represented. A reaver?

Deathstriker I think.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:47 am
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

Oh,,,,, I see it now. I was looking at it backwards. I thought the front was the right side and the thruster was actually flame or heat weap being used, heh.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:51 am
Contributor
Main: SunDog60
Level: 6541

kwilson wrote:
Well, if you are taking suggestions for handing out the Steam Beta keys, here is mine:

Give the Director of every team that has been active in the past 4 weeks an option to redeeem 1 key, with a 1 week redemption window.

Take the remaining keys and distribute them to the top 10 teams based upon their team score. The higher the team score, the more active players they are likely to have to redeem the keys. Let the teams decide who should get the keys.

Might be a good idea to reserve a dozen or so for the devs to hand out on a special case basis.

I personally think that the devs should just choose helpful people for the beta, people who they know will actually help the devs out with testing and such.
Because if you want the players testing something for you, you'd actually only get a few people willing to help while the rest are simply there for the sake of being chosen, may as well just give everyone keys at that point.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:26 pm