Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Masterful
Level: 6877

Post Re: Weekly Dev Notes - 6th May
With the changes to Imp Seals being dropped from T21/T22, will Midas drop more? Such as a Golden Imperial Chest which breaks into ~3 or something.

Thu May 07, 2015 5:29 am
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Markoz wrote:
Just had a idea, why don't admin gear require a skill of hamster knowledge skill 1? Would make people who have successfully gained any piece of admin gear unusable to them. Could even make it easier by 100 piracy required or IK 999 required.

Or do it properly and make it admin only gear / like base only gear / capship etc..

"Admin Only" tag tied to a white list of admins allowed to use said gear. And if admin gear is being used on bosses it shouldn't be. Or make allowance for ai also to use it.

That's what I had just added, basically. We now have an AIONLY tag for items which will make the item delete itself if found on a husk (a thing which has an inventory) whose owner is the player.

Support

Thu May 07, 2015 6:46 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

My question is why is there a tithe at all? You already get all you can eat seals. Why do they need anything on top of their most-useful-skills-in-the-game factory? Basically you're creating a system where the more they take emp the more able they are to take it again and again without opposition due to having approximately all of the seal skills.

Then, there's also the tithe portion which I clearly hate because I am a hater, and haters gonna hate. Why not instead allow them to place a 1-10% sales tax on AI base gear. That way you can somewhat choose whether or not to support the ruling team by just abstaining from the purchase of frivolous AI base items, or exploring alternatives that are harder to come by, but fill the roles of AI base items, because I cannot stress enough seals are more than an adequate reward by themselves, and the current system seems to do nothing other than support a system of establishing the most recent team to take emp as the most likely team to take it again due to increased power.

Which is another bit that makes no sense at all to me. Taking emp is a display of power for the team that does it. Basically announcing that they are the shizzle, if you will, who had the brilliant thought of "hey this team has just proved that they are capable of overpowering or otherwise controlling a huge portion of the playerbase, you know what let's directly augment their physical and economic power so that we create an even greater power gap, because that is a fucking magical idea that makes all of (none of) the sense."

Should there be rewards? Yes, of course. Give them a fancy sticker, or novelty spoon. But making them directly stronger for already being the strongest? Are you high?

Thu May 07, 2015 7:13 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

if seals are an adequate reward why is it that nobody can be bothered with Emp or fighting for it properly.

Thu May 07, 2015 7:18 am
Profile WWW
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

sabre198 wrote:
if seals are an adequate reward why is it that nobody can be bothered with Emp or fighting for it properly.

Because you never actually have to take emp to take the seals? Yay cheating is fun! How about get rid of the tithe crap entirely and make the seals go away until the emp run has been successfully completed, no emperor no seals.

Thu May 07, 2015 7:20 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Evade
Level: 5731

sabre198 wrote:

Because the drone vs. player balance has been terrible for a long time. And because most teams (Traders, Resident Evil, to mention some) decided to abuse the exploit instead of actually taking Emperor properly. And it wasn't that long ago that Imperial Tweaking above 1 was added. The benefits you get from docking the Crown in Sol aren't really worth it with the current mechanic - you're more likely to get a profit out of just holding the Palace and farming Unclean Imperial Seals. Which is why we're holding Anatolia. Warp Beacons make up for the lack of balanced (non-nerfed) drones.

Thu May 07, 2015 8:12 am
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

Player ship versions for the Green Battleship and Nightfury? I must have missed the original announcement on that,,, anyway cool. Is there more info on this anywhere, mainly what tech levels will they be?

Thu May 07, 2015 9:25 am
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Here is a way to make Emperor worthwhile, while also giving people the desire to contest.

When you're Emperor, you have a council which is filled with the leaders of teams with over a certain percentage of total galactic population (15% or something like that, dunno). There are various options that you can select, these things would be projects/expeditions/researching and other stuff.

So the money that is tithed would go into a coffer, you and your council would vote on what to do with it.

So the Emperor would select a task to put the money to (For example, a possible stuff would be to send taskforces in Perilous Perilous Space/expand the danger factor you can build in by 10/technological innovation to get higher productivity from workers...so on and so forth.)

The council would have a vote of Yes or No, and the Emperor would have final veto. After putting something up for vote 2-3 times the Emperor would be able to take the money and do whatever they wanted with it (even if that was pulling it out and depositing it into team funds).

Not all projects would be helpful to everyone, and some would only be helpful to the emperor. For example a basic one would be that whenever someone warps into Earthforce Space they get a small 1hr buff. A more complex one would be a space statue that gets created in Anatolia that gives only the Emperor and his team a small 1hr buff.

Things could be expanded from there.

Thu May 07, 2015 12:06 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

If I were Emperor I would not be even slightly interested in having a council of other teams vote on my shit. Maybe I would form an informal council among any teams I was actually interested in working with, but hardcoding it would be an unnecessary restriction to the system. I do agree that it could be cool to collect the tithe into a fund that could optionally be spent on PR stunts instead of automatically pouring it into the reigning team's funds. And in general, the idea of giving the reigning team a limited ability to create global game changes sounds like a cool mechanic.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Thu May 07, 2015 12:47 pm
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Quote:
The council would have a vote of Yes or No, and the Emperor would have final veto.

If the Emperor gets the veto, why have the council? Admittedly they could advise him, but there doesn't need to be an official council for that, it could just be an ad-hoc informal one like enkelin mentioned.

However, giving the emperor the power to enact global (de)buffs while on the throne is an interesting one.

Support

Thu May 07, 2015 1:17 pm
Team: Salt and Pepper
Main: CLXXXIII
Level: 6059

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Quote:
The council would have a vote of Yes or No, and the Emperor would have final veto.

If the Emperor gets the veto, why have the council? Admittedly they could advise him, but there doesn't need to be an official council for that, it could just be an ad-hoc informal one like enkelin mentioned.

However, giving the emperor the power to enact global (de)buffs while on the throne is an interesting one.

Just google and look at Stronghold Kingdoms and you understand it better.
The political System is the best about the game.

Look at the interaction with faction and houses and how people get voted to be the king. its pretty much the same idea that Star Sonata has only with 10 year better game design.

Thu May 07, 2015 1:43 pm
Contributor

Well first off... That's like saying if the President gets to Veto, why have Congress? The purpose is so things can't just happen without people being aware of them.

Because forcing the Emperor to work through a council means that you automatically spark interteam dialogue. If the Emperor is required to present something to council, that means people know what he plans on doing and have the opportunity to ask him to do something else. Then what happens is that Emperors who listen to their council members end up having much more support, and won't be likely to get deposed (Unless their team is weak, or another powerful team garners support). If an Emperor doesn't care and just wants to rule with an iron fist, many more people know and understand just how directly that affects them.

For example enkelin, lets say you as a team leader come back from the Council Vote and tell your Councillors/Officers that "The Emperor wants to do so and so, I have to vote. What do you think?" That may not be how you run your team, but that option is there. Then you get a feeling for what your team wants, and state your case when you vote. The Emperor gets direct feedback from team leaders about his subjects, which makes the role of being Emperor FEEL more immersive.

This system also means that mega conglomerate teams aren't the only ones who receive representation. When smaller teams are able to participate in the Council system and become "Barons", make their appeals to the Emperor, and have those appeals rejected... well let me make it short.

Doing it this way, or similar to this way, sets up a system where people understand the power that being Emperor provides. It makes it very clear to them "If you become Emperor, people ask you for stuff and you have the power to give it or take it away". And with more understanding and awareness of how the Emperor affects the day to day lives of Sonations, people will be more involved in attempts to overthrow the Emperor OR assist the Emperor.

Fri May 08, 2015 4:23 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Or… if the emperor is doing too much crazy shit without consulting other powerful teams, he gets deposed. Sandbox is better than structure here.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Fri May 08, 2015 4:54 pm
Contributor

anilv wrote:
Or… if the emperor is doing too much crazy shit without consulting other powerful teams, he gets deposed. Sandbox is better than structure here.

Good point, good point.

If you sandbox it, smaller teams simply exist with little to no representation. That's not a problem actually, I just prefer that it be more structured. My preference doesn't have to mean anything.

Either way, the same thing happens.

Fri May 08, 2015 6:11 pm
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Masterful
Level: 6877

We need a Galactic Senate.

Sat May 09, 2015 2:37 am