Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Post Re: Server/Client Patch 5.08.2015
Skirmish wrote:
heylo wrote:
The Salty One wrote:
So... can you just remove this 30s timer so vacuum scoops work again? and 30s isn't very long for someone running DGs anyway. The best thing about vacuum scoops was knowing that loot will get sucked up, not remembering to go and re-enable every 30 seconds.

They're trying to stop the farming. It stops the farming. It's a good change and 30 seconds is way more than you need to scoop some DG loot.

30 seconds is a bit short for me, sometimes I want to toss a bunch of crap from one alt to another. 5 mins would make the vacuum scoop work there without being something you can use to abusively farm with.

PS. Stopping it scooping after the time limit makes it worse at scooping than any other scoop. Just stop the vacuuming part...

It's not like it's hard to swap to the client you're trying to scoop stuff on every 25 seconds. In 25 seconds you can scoop a whole load of stuff.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Sat May 09, 2015 8:50 am
Main: number666.5
Level: 8921

Masterful wrote:
What's the small change to bana king? Or qu'ishi or w/e.

that was also the first thing what popped to my mind. bana king was fine how it was if you ask me, just hope they didnt make it easier
i guess they made it so EF can kill it again now, or made it so RE cant...
we will see

Sat May 09, 2015 8:56 am
Main: The Vert
Level: 60

Masterful wrote:
What's the small change to bana king? Or qu'ishi or w/e.

There were four changes:

- His shield bank is higher
- His beam weapon does higher damage
- His pulse guns does noticably higher damage
- He will rage if you try to tractor him

Those should be all, and I believe they should go live next universe :)

Please check these Bug report guidelines before you make your first bug report, or if you are uncertain on how to do it.

Sat May 09, 2015 9:54 am
Main: number666.5
Level: 8921

Quote:
* Vacuum scoops will now shut themselves off after 30s

all scoops shut off after 30 sec, not just the vacuums
and my maxi vacuum scoop does not suck things up, just scoops now

Sat May 09, 2015 10:17 am
Main: Skirmish
Level: 5189

heylo wrote:
It's not like it's hard to swap to the client you're trying to scoop stuff on every 25 seconds. In 25 seconds you can scoop a whole load of stuff.

Engage scoop, alt+tab, open inventory, find item i want to toss among items I don't want to toss, confirm transfer in squad or other clients event log (scoop may have gone disabled), alt tab, re-engage scoop, repeat. Couldn't be simpler I hear you say? :lol:

I could scoop a lot of one thing, but if I wan't to toss a DG or so worth of loot and keep my fuel, tweaks, crates, unequipped gear, etc. then that's another thing.

More practically: switch out to a scoop that doesn't stop working after 30 seconds and align the two ships to within a few units of each other, which is the point I was making earlier.

I'm not sure why 5 minutes would be a problem but if you can think of a way that could be exploited more than 30 seconds I'd love to discuss it.

Sat May 09, 2015 10:17 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

And… I just realized that anyone serious enough about farming something AFK for hours would just make a little macro to lock scoop every 29 seconds, plus or minus a bit. So this is accomplishing what exactly?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat May 09, 2015 10:20 am

lordjeroen wrote:
Quote:
* Vacuum scoops will now shut themselves off after 30s

all scoops shut off after 30 sec, not just the vacuums

Good thing the drop rate on commods for ancient scoutship was upped. Oh... wait...

Sat May 09, 2015 10:26 am
Main: Ununoctium
Level: 5960

anilv wrote:
And… I just realized that anyone serious enough about farming something AFK for hours would just make a little macro to lock scoop every 29 seconds, plus or minus a bit. So this is accomplishing what exactly?

Nor do I see why it'd be a problem for the scoop to last a few minutes, maybe even 10. If someone is afk camping they won't want to come back every 10 minutes or will use a macro, so it'd only really inconvenience active players (yes I love not having to think about scooping when i do a dg).

Sat May 09, 2015 4:38 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: The SI
Level: 2016

anilv wrote:

This would be a good example of a bannable macro. Obviously most macros we don't care about, but if the macro is getting around an intentional game mechanic we definitely care.

Scoops aren't meant to be on indefinitely, if they were then we wouldn't have a scoop key. That being said after we fix the bug we can probably increase the limit from 30s to 1min or something similar, as you guys are right that there is no difference on afk farming between the two.

Hey, I'm Ryan! I've been playing Star Sonata since early 2005 and I've been involved with the development of the game since 2009. I do server and client programming mainly focusing on bug fixes, but I've also dabbled in creating a little bit of content too such as Captain Kidd.

Sat May 09, 2015 6:25 pm
Main: NukeACow
Level: 6770

Quote:
* A few minor client optimizations, especially when in a ship with a lot of different items.

This causes my ping to skyrocket up to 4,000ms when my storage ship is open. After I close it, after about 30 seconds, ping reduces to a normal level ~150ms.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Storage ship is remote accessed with ~400k hull used of various items.

Sat May 09, 2015 8:57 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

So I guess the Tarnished Chest thing is live?

Attachment:
guess its live.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun May 10, 2015 1:02 am

SI wrote:
anilv wrote:

This would be a good example of a bannable macro. Obviously most macros we don't care about, but if the macro is getting around an intentional game mechanic we definitely care.

And if recent events have taught the community anything it's that if everyone does it, it goes unpunished.

SI wrote:
Scoops aren't meant to be on indefinitely

During an informal discussion I had with a dev regarding ancient scoutship commod drop rates they actually referenced the fact that at least now scoop is a toggle.

From what I can tell during recent testing it's been designed -or at least implemented- as a server side, character specific toggle: if you logoff scooping you log back on to that character scooping even with a fresh client.
I can't imagine why scooping would be a server side toggle rather than a client side input as turn and thrust appear to be (logoff client turning and load a fresh client, that character will not come back turning) unless someone thought that scooping should be an indefinite function.

Sun May 10, 2015 1:07 am
Dev Team
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

Skirmish wrote:
From what I can tell during recent testing it's been designed -or at least implemented- as a server side, character specific toggle: if you logoff scooping you log back on to that character scooping even with a fresh client.
I can't imagine why scooping would be a server side toggle rather than a client side input as turn and thrust appear to be (logoff client turning and load a fresh client, that character will not come back turning) unless someone thought that scooping should be an indefinite function.

because scooping act on items that are not you (the debris). turning / thrust only directly affect your ship.

Wed May 13, 2015 2:48 pm