Team: Eminence Front
Main: Evade
Level: 5731

Post Re: Weekly Dev Meeting - September 23
anilv wrote:
You all are salty that we followed this procedure when it exactly describes Galactic Infraction as well. I'm not even mad that the failed BvB got Jey to work on a better client. That improves the game for everyone. The same is true about removing the ability to use low level alts to safely obtain valuable resources in Warp 3.

In EF we're all for changes that improve the game. The developer behind the base rebalance needs to take the blame for not testing it, and causing it to have such severe consequences on that situation. He is the one who needs to take blame for that. But the fact that Jey got useful data to improve the game is a good thing, but it shouldn't come at the cost of several subscriptions and the losses that the losing team had to suffer, due to the content being untested.

And I too agree that it is for the best of the game to change how PvP ranges in W3 Wild Space works. But it is not for the best of the game if that change ignores the actual underlying issue with PvP ranges. As I've pointed out before, we don't really want to see another developer blooper where the intention is to "balance bases" but the entire development project ignores tweaks being used on bases, only because the developers feel that it wasn't enough of a "pressing concern", compared to the changes that they are making. That just results in poor development in my view.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:48 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

They already said that this is just the first PvP change and that they're open to more, so I don't know what you are complaining about. :roll:

Also not quite sure why you all are so salty about tweaks on bases. Or is the new story that EF lost all those BvBs because Traders tweaks too hard? I thought it was because we exploited trillions of credits (how else could we afford to BvB so much?!?!)…

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:53 am
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

andezrhode2a wrote:
And see, this is the fun part. This has been a known problem for a long time, but only after Traders complained in a closed communication chanel, yclepticon magically appears to present this as the "most pressing concern" with PvP ranges, and that he wants to fix that issue, without thinking about presenting it as a part of a bigger issue, because it certainly is.

That's just how it works, unfortunately. I'm sure you remember how high level hermes rams were initially but it took long until people started exploiting it. Sometimes unbalanced game mechanic won't be fixed until someone goes extreme and proves how broken it is.

andezrhode2a wrote:
The changes are rather simple.

- Make PvP ranges in Warp 1 galaxies a lot narrower.
- Make PvP ranges in Warp 2 galaxies narrower.
- Lift PvP ranges completely in Warp 3 galaxies.
- Move Ancient ruins and tier 3 commodities to Warp 3.
- Remove the Emperor Claim effect on PvP ranges.
- Make mutual wars lift all PvP ranges under any circumstance.

That's something I can agree on. However I want to point out again that warp1-2 is super awful and we shouldn't make it even worse. Removing t3 commods and ancient ruins would be reasonable in my opinion.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:57 am

anilv wrote:
Base scanning is a hostile action and respects PvP ranges. The only scanning I have done is on my level 2000 Seer, which incidentally has been on Traders since it was created. Nice try but EF doesn't get company in the lowbie exploiting club this time.

I was misinformed. It was an off-team character used to scan bases to avoid the war, and an off-team low level player used to scout our galaxies, to avoid the war and PvP ranges. Come join our club.

And you said your level 2000 Seer has been on Traders since it was created. I recall you putting your Seer in Star Revolution X, to avoid the war, and used that to scan our bases. Which led to you being booted from Star Revolution X. The few members I've talked to on that team, don't really respect you a whole lot for doing that.

anilv wrote:
Live ticker update: EF too cheap to surrender but also too cheap for war.

Why should we surrender a war which clearly Traders or Red Faction can't survive in the long run? Why else did Red Faction contact us about ending the hostilities between us and them? We're not dumb, enkelin. We're not paying for a cease fire or a surrender which will only benefit those who can't withstand the war in the long run.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:57 am

anilv wrote:
They already said that this is just the first PvP change and that they're open to more, so I don't know what you are complaining about. :roll:

Also not quite sure why you all are so salty about tweaks on bases. Or is the new story that EF lost all those BvBs because Traders tweaks too hard? I thought it was because we exploited trillions of credits (how else could we afford to BvB so much?!?!)…

I'm complaining about how the developer team has never bothered with fixing this issue, and only now they come around and start fixing fractional parts of it, without even having commented on the underlying issue until I mentioned it. Maybe I should be happy that my complaints finally got somewhere? Let's celebrate, yay.

Let's just hope the message is clear enough for the developer team, that we need more than what they have informed about in this Development Note.

And as for tweaks. Player ship tweaks used on bases, which are balanced for player ships only, is obviously broken, and it goes against the idea of the base rebalance. Which means yclepticon surely didn't intend to balance all aspects of bases, only those who he felt was... shall I say "pressing concerns"? It is just another great example of poor development from yclepticon.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:02 am
over 9000!

andezrhode2a wrote:
And you said your level 2000 Seer has been on Traders since it was created. I recall you putting your Seer in Star Revolution X, to avoid the war, and used that to scan our bases. Which led to you being booted from Star Revolution X. The few members I've talked to on that team, don't really respect you a whole lot for doing that.

Oh yeah, I heard something about this. I gave a teammate temp access to my account while I was traveling so I have no idea what that was about. Last I heard the alt was accidentally booted, but I can't imagine why it would have been put on SRX. They should talk to me directly if they have some sort of problem.

At any rate, I've never scanned a base or even scouted a galaxy with an off-team alt, as I have had zero difficulty doing either of those things with my teamed Seer.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:08 pm

OP teammate tactic.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:10 pm
over 9000!

andezrhode2a wrote:
OP teammate tactic.

IKR, punished with three hours of community service AKA terraforming my colonies.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:10 pm
over 9000!

andezrhode2a wrote:
Why should we surrender a war which clearly Traders or Red Faction can't survive in the long run? Why else did Red Faction contact us about ending the hostilities between us and them? We're not dumb, enkelin. We're not paying for a cease fire or a surrender which will only benefit those who can't withstand the war in the long run.

You may be happy with your decision on the surrender terms. I don't care either way, as the terms I gave EF were just around the indifference point for me. But your teammates obviously don't agree with you when I see players QQing that they can't afford the necessary defense to extract ruins they want. I was simply reminding them that this is the price you pay for not surrendering.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:13 pm
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

anilv wrote:
andezrhode2a wrote:
OP teammate tactic.

IKR, punished with three hours of community service AKA terraforming my colonies.

XD

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:18 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

anilv wrote:
andezrhode2a wrote:

Oh yeah, I heard something about this. I gave a teammate temp access to my account while I was traveling so I have no idea what that was about. Last I heard the alt was accidentally booted, but I can't imagine why it would have been put on SRX. They should talk to me directly if they have some sort of problem.

At any rate, I've never scanned a base or even scouted a galaxy with an off-team alt, as I have had zero difficulty doing either of those things with my teamed Seer.

Just to clarify, im pretty sure this never happened like this. Had EF gotten any "hostile action" messages that so-and-so on SRX had scanned or attacked them (i forget if it calls a scan an actual attack or not) I can't imagine that EF wouldn't have PM'd us instantly asking what was up... But I dont recall this once. So unless I somehow totally missed this incident, I'm not sure things went down like that. Also if another team did have an alt doing that, they would be kicked instantly from us.

We did recently go through our roster to cleanup inactive players or ones we didnt really know. It's likely we accidentally kicked some alts from other teams that were with us. But there was no conspiracy or drama around that except for SunDog and I simply wanting to clean up team slots.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:42 pm
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

andezrhode2a wrote:

Look at the map. We have plenty of space to sustain all our needs. I'm personally making more credits than I ever have before and we even have our newest members taking 2 gals for themselves with some backup from the team (yes, that is how Traders works). I don't think you can say the same(, lol get fucked EF).

andezrhode2a wrote:
OP teammate tactic.

That was me. Paladin offered me to take their universe map since SRX had it all scouted and I did on enk's seer. I haven't been on that team for longer than 3 minutes tops and I'm sure Pala won't have any problem with confirming this.

So you can go back to your corner now, Thermal.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:21 pm
Team: Red Faction
Main: Paladinofdoom
Level: 3693

heylo wrote:
That was me. Paladin offered me to take their universe map since SRX had it all scouted and I did on enk's seer. I haven't been on that team for longer than 3 minutes tops and I'm sure Pala won't have any problem with confirming this.

Confirmed. Highly doubt he had time to scan anything other than SRXs bases, if he chose to.

This guy gets my full Jiggle!

He is full of awesomesauce, and Jigglyness, buy from him!

Kanga

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:13 pm
Dev Team
Main: Col Legno
Level: 1000

Well, one of the good things to come out of the weekly dev meeting blog posts is making sure that players are aware of changes that are being considered for the game. It also opens up opportunities to discuss game mechanics that are in need of change. This is a weekly dev meeting blog response thread, however, and I'd like to remind everyone to keep the thread civil and on topic.

I'm going to suggest that we open another thread specifically devoted to discussion of pvp issues so that people just browsing the dev notes forum will know that this discussion is here and it doesn't get buried.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:03 pm