Post Weekly Dev Meeting - September 23
Discussion topic for post: http://www.starsonata.com/blog/weekly-d ... tember-23/

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:47 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Evade
Level: 5731

Post Re: Weekly Dev Meeting - September 23
Quote:
He brought up some issues with people using off-team alts in wars and proposes that when you get back into your ship from death, you can’t jump into another gal owned by the owners for 30 seconds. We’re hoping this mitigates the “suicide to get deeper and deeper into enemy territory” issue, and we’re curious to hear player feedback on this.

He would also like to lift the pvp ranges by danger factor in w3 wild space.

I didn't really get the link between off-team alts used in war and using ship stasis to move into enemy territory?

PvP ranges as a whole needs to be looked at, so I expect to see a good argument to why we only need to lift PvP ranges in W3 Wild Space, and leave the rest of the obvious issues unfixed.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:10 am
Team: Eminence Back
Main: Pure Evil
Level: 5292

andezrhode2a wrote:
I didn't really get the link between off-team alts used in war and using ship stasis to move into enemy territory?

PvP ranges as a whole needs to be looked at, so I expect to see a good argument to why we only need to lift PvP ranges in W3 Wild Space, and leave the rest of the obvious issues unfixed.

I feel this wont do much sadly as the root cause of these f2p/p2p off team alternative is the fact anyone can do it (Repetitively) and game mechanics offer nothing in the way to prevent this from happening sooo I dunno how this will benefit anyone, the make bases "angry" at everything command was a used for this very reason; But since that's been removed (cause people abused it) there is nothing to stop off team alts avoiding war, towards doing: explore enemy galaxies, and deploy bases to extract resources they use to fund there war effort uncontested, to prevent ownership by deploying out of pvp range bases, to deploy a series of bases to bvb with (owner transfer), and probably many more things.

The opening of PvP ranges in high Danger Factors I think is the way to go sadly, ruins it for the newbies but what can people do if one spoils the apple cart. This could also apply to some or all special galaxies: XYZ, Hyper, Biologique, Emp Bio, and etc...

One method to resolve off team characters/accounts is to track what computer is using the "said" accounts and link them together on the server side, then use a series of rules that applies across those different accounts for the next 24 hours or week even. For example: if Shadow Wolf is currently at war with RF + Traders, then this alt account hes using receives the same rules of war for so much time (making RF+Trader bases/slaves automatically attack said off team alt).
I dunno the implications of legal law around having identification of each computer and using that as apart of the game mechanics, but I know a lot of websites and applications that does it willingly. The assumption is that it is an existing team member that is at war attempting to push for a avoid war action (which is mostly the case).

Col Legno wrote:
Welcome to new developers MicroCapacitor and Morat!

Heya both! *waves*

Last edited by Markoz on Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:26 am

Yeah, I don't disagree with lifting PvP ranges in W3 Wild Space, but I strongly disagree with only fixing this, and ignoring the rest of the obvious issues that emerge from the outdated PvP range system that we have. Just like the base rebalance fixed the balance between player ships and bases, but completely ignored pressing issues such as tweaks on bases...

Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:40 am
Team: Hot Shots
Main: Marvin Martian
Level: 3064

You said "I fixed the aggro issues between off team players and slaves. If you have a shm healing you, your slaves will no longer attack the shm."

Which will be fixed in the next patch...

When will the next patch be??

Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:27 am
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

I believe the argument that was made was for PvP ranges to still exist in w1 and w2 of WS but W1/2 won't have any rare ruins or T3 commods in them.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:33 am

heylo wrote:
I believe the argument that was made was for PvP ranges to still exist in w1 and w2 of WS but W1/2 won't have any rare ruins or T3 commods in them.

Where does it say that in the Development Notes? All it says is that yclepticon wants to lift the PvP ranges in W3 Wild Space, and that alone seems to me like yclepticon wants to cater a specific group of player and their interests, instead of actually adressing the main issue. The main issue being that PvP ranges as a whole needs a revamp, and only fixing specific selected issues like that makes me wonder why he wants to leave out the other needed fixes.

So if you have any documentation where a developer stated that what you say is their intention, then I'd like to see that, so I can be assured that the developers do the right thing in this game.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:15 am
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

heylo wrote:

W1-2 is super awful already. There is really no reason to make it even more awful.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:40 am
Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: yclept
Level: 2002

Hello,

We received specific complaints from players about the PvP ranges in Warp 3 Wild Space being too restrictive, and after our meeting yesterday the dev team was unanimously in favor of removing all PvP ranges in that area of space. We are not ruling out additional revamps to the PvP range system, however. This should just be understood as a first step in the process. In fact, The Vert has been working on a proposal for a comprehensive PvP range system revamp, although he is currently busy IRL.

We included this information in the weekly blog post so that players are notified early on when changes like this are being considered. There is no question of "catering" to any particular demographic. The issue in Warp 3 was simply the one that was brought to the attention of the dev team, so we have chosen to start there. With limited development resources, it is most logical to address the pressing concerns first and worry about extending the changes to cover all other cases later.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. You may know me in-game as enkelin. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:46 am

yclepticon wrote:
We received specific complaints from players about the PvP ranges in Warp 3 Wild Space being too restrictive [...]

With limited development resources, it is most logical to address the pressing concerns first and worry about extending the changes to cover all other cases later.

Where does one sign up in order to forward these specific complaints and get the developer teams attention? Because I've pointed this out on the forum and in game for a long time, and it seems strange to me that the developers haven't picked up on it and included that information in the Development Notes.

And I'm not sure why the developer teams see this as the most pressing concern. The most pressing concern here is that the way PvP ranges are calculated and can be manipulated through different mechanics, and this allows for imbalanced player interaction, which puts low-mid level players at severe risk of grief. This is what needs fixing first, then you can lift the PvP ranges in Wild Space W3 later.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:08 am
Main: Shadow Wolf
Level: 3550

andezrhode2a wrote:
yclepticon wrote:
We received specific complaints from players about the PvP ranges in Warp 3 Wild Space being too restrictive [...]

With limited development resources, it is most logical to address the pressing concerns first and worry about extending the changes to cover all other cases later.

Where does one sign up in order to forward these specific complaints and get the developer teams attention? ...

Supposed to be the Suggestions section of the forums, but since there is nothing in the first two pages about PvP ranges in w3 being too restrictive, obviously some one is using inappropriate leverage on developers to achieve their own agenda.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:33 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

Wow some cool things in the works here and of course the reaction from people is the usual bitching... But I guess it wouldnt be star sonata if we didnt have that.

Precursor wrote:
Is back from a long hiatus and is thinking about ruins.

I'm particularly interested to see what comes of this.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:52 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

xcrunner5 wrote:
andezrhode2a wrote:
yclepticon wrote:

Where does one sign up in order to forward these specific complaints and get the developer teams attention? ...

Supposed to be the Suggestions section of the forums, but since there is nothing in the first two pages about PvP ranges in w3 being too restrictive, obviously some one is using inappropriate leverage on developers to achieve their own agenda.

Because there's no such thing as ticket system and IRC. :roll: The problem was reported by Traders after we were forced to create level 400 PvB Shrimps to kill some unteamed level 218 EF bases on valuable ruins. I do enjoy the irony of EF members complaining about "inappropriate leverage" though, so please keep it coming.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:05 am
Main: Shadow Wolf
Level: 3550

anilv wrote:
Because there's no such thing as ticket system and IRC. :roll: The problem was reported by Traders after we were forced to create level 400 PvB Shrimps to kill some unteamed level 218 EF bases on valuable ruins. I do enjoy the irony of EF members complaining about "inappropriate leverage" though, so please keep it coming.

yes yes, "forced"

IRC/tickets are for bugs? Not complaints?

Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:11 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Oh yeah, the time when EF failed a BvB due to client lag and Jey immediately got to work on a new client to fix that. I'm not even salty about this, in fact I'm glad that we have devs who get to work when a problem is reported to them (incidentally, that one never hit the forums either, just went down the old EF admin team channel).

The point is that this is business as usual. Devs are informed in random ways of various game issues, and if it's something they can fix they do it.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:11 am