Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: The SI
Level: 2016

Post Re: The State of BvB in Star Sonata
The Salty One wrote:
Can you take a look at the existing base overloadres as well? Some of them are pretty useless atm.

I'll take a look at them.

andezrhode2a wrote:
As I tried to point out, the real issue is the tug-o-war scenario where the defenders try to isolate one of the attackers bases.

It isn't a bad thing, it just seems like the developer team doesn't seem to grasp the situation and manage to address the core issues, if this is their proposed fix to improve BvB.

We're intentionally leaving in "tug-o-war" on attackers bases, at least for now. We realize that currently unattached defenses are rarely used currently but their vulnerability to tractors is a big part of that and we'd like to see where they stand now that they'll be unable to be tractored.

Hey, I'm Ryan! I've been playing Star Sonata since early 2005 and I've been involved with the development of the game since 2009. I do server and client programming mainly focusing on bug fixes, but I've also dabbled in creating a little bit of content too such as Captain Kidd.

Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:46 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Chrono Warrior
Level: 5817

First off, I like the sound of these changes, I think it will help in the long run and will make wars more challenging and fun. I like the idea of new base items and OLs, (Hopefully) it will make the variety of bases expand and allow for more diverse setups. Cudos to the Dev team for continually trying to improve the game.

heylo wrote:
Some good thoughts in there! I agree with playerbase stuff not being useable on bases and also with the attackers being unable to tractor unattached stations and drones. Just seems like a logical step to me since, like you said, it requires the defending party to be actively online in order for their galaxy to survive which is a bad design. People shouldn't be required to be online at a certain point in time for their gal to stand a chance to survive.

However, I would actually like for tweaks to still be useable on stations, but not the way it currently is. With the current system that we have right now we have two different problems in my opinion.

1. Long tweaks with (usually) small bonusses such as Adamantium Shieldings (10% shield regen for 5 minutes), Kotonjas (-10% recoil and +5% damage for 10 minutes) and Source of Energon (35% energy bank and 15% energy regen for 5 minutes) being used to beef a base by a very large margin for a good amount of time in order to increase the survivability of the base, the damage per second output or both.

2. Tweaks with very large bonusses for a small amount of time being spammed. Think of tweaks such as Assassinations (30% damage for 12 seconds), Swifty Spry Attacks (-40% weapon recoil for 2 seconds) and Last Stands (91.5% shieldbank and 61% shield regen for 12 seconds).

Now, the first problem is a very clear one. You increase a base his capabilities by a pretty significant margin for a longer period of time for free and ofcourse that's simply unfair, unbalanced and I think it shouldn't be possible to do this at all. So any tweak that lasts for longer than a 20 seconds shouldn't be useable on bases in my opinion.

Now for the interesting part. I think tweaks that give a large boosts for a small amount of time are actually incredibly fun to use on bases. It gives a whole other level to base combat and I think they're fine to stay IF THEY CAN NOT BE SPAMMED.
They need an internal cooldown. Popping Last stands one after the other is bad game design but if you're able to pop a well-timed one and save the kit for another orbit of the planet that actually gives such a great feeling to the player that just saved it (trust me, I know ;) ). I would suggest a 1 to 2 minute cooldown for these bursty kind of tweaks but I would very much like to see them continueing play a part in base combat.

Please discuss, since I know one man's opinion won't be enough to persuade anyone these days :)

To address this, I agree that the spamming of tweaks on bases is very unbalanced, and it needs to be addressed. My opinion on the matter is that if the Dev team prohibits all gear that can be used on a ship from being used on a base, why should we make an exception for tweaks? It doesn't seem fair to me. However, I do acknowledge the fact that using tweaks on bases is a dynamic feature. So to keep this functionality in-game, I would have to agree with Blizz that superitems are the way to go.

Antilzah wrote:
How about superitems instead of tweaks for serving that kind of a purpose?

All in all, I agree with this proposal. I think it will definitely at the very least a step in the right direction.

- Chrono

Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:23 pm
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

SI wrote:
The Salty One wrote:
Can you take a look at the existing base overloadres as well? Some of them are pretty useless atm.

I'll take a look at them.

andezrhode2a wrote:
As I tried to point out, the real issue is the tug-o-war scenario where the defenders try to isolate one of the attackers bases.

It isn't a bad thing, it just seems like the developer team doesn't seem to grasp the situation and manage to address the core issues, if this is their proposed fix to improve BvB.

We're intentionally leaving in "tug-o-war" on attackers bases, at least for now. We realize that currently unattached defenses are rarely used currently but their vulnerability to tractors is a big part of that and we'd like to see where they stand now that they'll be unable to be tractored.

The major downside to unattached kits in the higher levels of BvB is simply that they don't have a planet to block a large margin of the pulseguns for the kit. This makes an unattached kit's survivability a lot lower than an attached kit simply because the uptime is a lot higher on unattached :)

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:54 pm
Main: Shadow Wolf
Level: 3550

heylo wrote:
SI wrote:
andezrhode2a wrote:

The major downside to unattached kits in the higher levels of BvB is simply that they don't have a planet to block a large margin of the pulseguns for the kit. This makes an unattached kit's survivability a lot lower than an attached kit simply because the uptime is a lot higher on unattached :)

But unattached dps kits can hit their target the majority of the time (projectiles) and aren't impeded by the rotation and position of their planet.

The changes look like another step in the right direction, though I also think that having just 1 damage type be the end all for BvB is limiting.
Quote:
- Base slots needs to be revamped Please!
- Permanent drones needs to be revamped (this will also benefit Anatolia if there is no revamp of the Emperor mechanic) yep
- Achilles Pulse Guns needs to have viable alternatives (right now there is none, and due to the range of this weapon, it is also another contributing factor to the tug-o-war game we've allowed Star Sonata to become) above, or similar

Semi related note, any chance we'll get some details on SM22 soon?

Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:37 pm
Main: Ununoctium
Level: 5960

Honestly the number of kits needs to be limited in some way. I'd like something along the lines of: attacking kits = defending kits - 4 with a minimum of 1 kit.

Exactly how we'd identify "defending kits" is another matter. Perhaps highest tech level, station mastery, or some other factor. I think the exact mechanism can come later; what's more important is to discourage the current trend towards huge numbers of bases (read: boring, tedious, stupid).

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:24 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: Danger
Level: 7164

The fact that hps kits can do 500k hps while pulse kits do 300k dps before resistance means that you need more kits to kill an hps gal. Limiting kits is not a good idea in my opinion

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:07 pm
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

The Salty One wrote:
Honestly the number of kits needs to be limited in some way. I'd like something along the lines of: attacking kits = defending kits - 4 with a minimum of 1 kit.

Or a hardcap for attacker bases. I really don't see any problem of having unkillable gal for high cost.

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:11 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Antilzah wrote:
The Salty One wrote:

Or a hardcap for attacker bases. I really don't see any problem of having unkillable gal for high cost.

Attackers get a hard cap, but defenders don't?

I get it, you want it to be hard to kill a good gal. Which it is. I haven't seen any 30 kit bvb's coming out of EF other than one fail last uni. Traders and RF on the other hand...

Think about the cost an attacker risks, vs a defender. Attacker lays 30 kits, to MAYBE kill the galaxy. And then has to wait for those kits to abandon to reclaim the galaxy.

Defender gets a uni's worth of profit, and MAYBE gets attacked.

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:15 pm
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

ELITE wrote:
Antilzah wrote:
The Salty One wrote:

Attackers get a hard cap, but defenders don't?

I get it, you want it to be hard to kill a good gal. Which it is. I haven't seen any 30 kit bvb's coming out of EF other than one fail last uni. Traders and RF on the other hand...

Think about the cost an attacker risks, vs a defender. Attacker lays 30 kits, to MAYBE kill the galaxy. And then has to wait for those kits to abandon to reclaim the galaxy.

This is exactly why there shouldn't be a cap.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:23 pm

ELITE wrote:

There won't be hardly any profit if high defenses is required.

Basically I just feel that making turtle more viable would be good for newbies in this game because of totally messed up casual player - hardcore player ratio.

Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:07 pm

Antilzah wrote:
ELITE wrote:

There won't be hardly any profit if high defenses is required.

Basically I just feel that making turtle more viable would be good for newbies in this game because of totally messed up casual player - hardcore player ratio.

Are you shitting me. With just Y's you can make 350-500b a uni from a DECENT metal galaxy. That's not including building colonies on top of that, or having a proddy for builds for profit. Fuck. Off.

Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:28 pm

ELITE wrote:
With just Y's you can make 350-500b a uni from a DECENT metal galaxy.

Alright so how about balancing attacker hard cap at 300b defense cost to defend against bvb per gal. Max 20 attacker kits or something.

Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:59 pm

Antilzah wrote:
ELITE wrote:
With just Y's you can make 350-500b a uni from a DECENT metal galaxy.

Alright so how about balancing attacker hard cap at 300b defense cost to defend against bvb per gal. Max 20 attacker kits or something.

It doesn't cost 300b to defend a galaxy. If you lay 7-8 ada kits, it takes like 2 endgame teams to even begin to PvB the galaxy. 28-32 Dem and 21-24 Sheets does not make 300b. Even with Spirit augs. As for the fucking gear, it carries over every uni so it doesn't count as an ongoing cost.

Any more than that and it requires BvB of MORE kits than they have laid for defense.

The point of defending a galaxy well is deterring an attacker from even bothering to BvB. We have to lay a well defended outpost, and then BvB. It's already 2 gals investment to kill 1 galaxy.

Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:11 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Sounds like effort heh

Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:49 am
Profile WWW

sabre198 wrote:
Sounds like effort heh

Here's the actual reason. CBA factor is the strongest factor when it comes to building like shit.

Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:52 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next