Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Do you like the system proposed in this post?
Poll ended at Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:31 pm
Yes 32%  32%  [ 16 ]
Yes, with some changes (reply and explain in your post) 54%  54%  [ 27 ]
No 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
Undecided 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 50

over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Mini Design Blog: Cargo slots for loot
ELITE wrote:
I really like the automatic nature of it, putting smaller items into your hullspace and leaving the large ones until something bigger is added to the cargo hull. I like that a lot.

Yeah, inventory tetris is super lame.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:31 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

ELITE wrote:
Considering you can't shoot while in an overhulled ship, I'm not sure what would be useful if overhulled. Slaves being the exception to this of course.

An overtanked FC/ShM in a small ship comes to mind.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:06 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Evade
Level: 5731

The item I was commenting on was for recon class and light fighters only. It would also be possible to overflow the hull space on a ship made purposely for spotting other stealthy ships. There are probably other legit setups out there which could benefit from this.

On the other hand, this is something I've done for a long time by amplifying a Calypso's Presence, so it isn't new and gamebreaking. But it certainly isn't sufficient to only lock weapons when the hull is overflowing.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:14 pm

andezrhode2a wrote:
The item I was commenting on was for recon class and light fighters only. It would also be possible to overflow the hull space on a ship made purposely for spotting other stealthy ships. There are probably other legit setups out there which could benefit from this.

On the other hand, this is something I've done for a long time by amplifying a Calypso's Presence, so it isn't new and gamebreaking. But it certainly isn't sufficient to only lock weapons when the hull is overflowing.

I don't think the admin who came up with Amps fully contemplated the stuff players would do with it.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:09 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

carterstrain wrote:
andezrhode2a wrote:

I don't think the admin who came up with Amps fully contemplated the stuff players would do with it.

I don't think they applied what an Amp device would do for squads, much less auras that aren't commonly used. Seems to me it was designed to beef SOLO FC, which it did, but it also made them hilariously OP in squad combat vs AI or in PvP/PvB.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:48 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

Im glad they are considering this idea, its many years overdue.

I dont quite understand though, what is the advantage of having a new concept for cargo loot where all items take 1 space, versus just a new "cargo hold" smaller ships can get that uses the current existing space mechanics? For example the cargo holds would just give 1 to 2k of normal space, but you couldn't use that as ship space to equip items from so ship design balance wouldnt be affected etc...

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:04 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

dreadlordnaf wrote:
Im glad they are considering this idea, its many years overdue.

I dont quite understand though, what is the advantage of having a new concept for cargo loot where all items take 1 space, versus just a new "cargo hold" smaller ships can get that uses the current existing space mechanics? For example the cargo holds would just give 1 to 2k of normal space, but you couldn't use that as ship space to equip items from so ship design balance wouldnt be affected etc...

Think about loot systems in other games. Do you know any that have a certain loot item that takes up literally thousands of times the space in your inventory as another loot item? It's not a good system and I'm glad they're moving away from it.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:40 am
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

Im all for this change, and even suggested something it once.

But with other games you have more types of item stacking so that a bunch of small items dont take all your space. As far as I understand though, that wouldnt occur with this new loot cargo method. So 20 crappy augs would take up all your cargo space. The one advantage of just giving normal extra hull space but which cant be used for equipping is that already has this stacking built in. You could either scoop a 100-size weap or 100 augs. Or is some type of stacking envisioned for this new method?

Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:27 pm

dreadlordnaf wrote:
Im all for this change, and even suggested something it once.

But with other games you have more types of item stacking so that a bunch of small items dont take all your space. As far as I understand though, that wouldnt occur with this new loot cargo method. So 20 crappy augs would take up all your cargo space. The one advantage of just giving normal extra hull space but which cant be used for equipping is that already has this stacking built in. You could either scoop a 100-size weap or 100 augs. Or is some type of stacking envisioned for this new method?

Any item takes 1 size in the cargo hold. And they are moving away from the current glut of BPs in DGs but the concern with augs/tweaks/random shit is valid.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:16 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

SI wrote:
So that brings us to the proposed system! We'd like to add what we're calling "Cargo Slots" to ships. There would be roughly 20 cargo slots on a ship (number not final, and might give more to subscribed players), and loot dropped from AI would go into these slots.

Define "Cargo Slot" Do you mean i can store 20 individual items or 20 space worth of items?

Would it not be simpler to just change the existing Hull Expanders to do this? http://wiki.starsonata.com/index.php/Hull_Expanders

They are already broken down by ship type, are reasonably balanced and most of the coding is done, and people already have a fork ton of them in storage. My minuscule knowledge of coding i would imagine that you would only need to change a few lines rather then write a whole new item set.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:33 pm
Contributor
Main: SunDog60
Level: 6541

lrellok wrote:
Define "Cargo Slot" Do you mean i can store 20 individual items or 20 space worth of items?

Slots, so a size 1000 piece of loot will fit into that 20 slot storage the exact same way a size 1 piece of loot will. It will only go into your normal inventory IF there is something bigger than it you scooped, and you're full on cargo slots (i.e. smallest items leave cargo).

Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:50 pm

SunDog60 wrote:
lrellok wrote:

Slots, so a size 1000 piece of loot will fit into that 20 slot storage the exact same way a size 1 piece of loot will. It will only go into your normal inventory IF there is something bigger than it you scooped, and you're full on cargo slots (i.e. smallest items leave cargo).

Then i emphatically repeat my suggestion to just "Upgrade" the existing hull expanders to this system.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:17 pm

lrellok wrote:
SunDog60 wrote:
lrellok wrote:

Then i emphatically repeat my suggestion to just "Upgrade" the existing hull expanders to this system.

Sounds annoying and overly complex. How do my 4-5 modded hull expanders work in your system? The goal of this new system is for it to be equal across hulls and classes. The current hull expanders aren't even close to equal lol.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:34 pm

ELITE wrote:
Sounds annoying and overly complex. How do my 4-5 modded hull expanders work in your system? The goal of this new system is for it to be equal across hulls and classes. The current hull expanders aren't even close to equal lol.

Tech 20 expanders F2p

all Tiger Storage Bay 5 spaces gives 17 storage

LF Primal Panther Bay 1 space gives 16 storage

HF Alien Hull Expander 1 space gives 26 storage

Freighter Primal Rhino Expander 5 space gives 45 storage
OR Elephant expander 1 space gives 30 storage

Cap ships Bear Expansion 5 gives 35 storage

So if we simply increase the LF bays by 5, that actually seems reasonably balanced. And i am not seeing how this is more complex then what is being proposed, it actually fits within the existing game nicely. Instead of randomly dropping another type of storage onto the ships, simply take an existing item and make it the other type of storage. Elite, i am curios, what ratios would you prefer to see?

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:20 pm

Sounds overly complex, annoying to balance, and not worth the effort. Hull Expanders are a piece of gear, and not universal across the board. The hull space gained from hull expanders count towards the original equipment inventory, not the loot locker//cargo slot inventory. Hull expanders are like adding an external storage bin on top of your car. Loot locker//Cargo slots are conceptually bound to the player's character.

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:33 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next