Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Do you like the system proposed in this post?
Poll ended at Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:31 pm
Yes 32%  32%  [ 16 ]
Yes, with some changes (reply and explain in your post) 54%  54%  [ 27 ]
No 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
Undecided 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 50

Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Post Re: Mini Design Blog: Cargo slots for loot
The whole point of this change is to make the ship classes equal. You're suggestion would be exactly the old, unfair system which is weighted towards Capship/Freighters being able to scoop the most.

Rebalancing every single hull expander to be equal makes no sense.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:21 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

Either way, this idea needs to be done. If there is general agreement now on what hull space would be reasonable under the current system for every class to have, then thats a starting point. For example if every class had 1000 to 2000 cargo space just for loot (not for ship equip stuff) it seems like people would be very happy with that.

The item slots idea is also good since that is what many MMOs do, but keep in mind those games typically allow their chars to have 60 to 100+ bag slots, and were created from the get go with this type of inventory system. That is why to me 20 seemed very low unless there is going to be a radical re-balance of how much random crap loot gets dropped.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:06 pm
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

I vote for 50 base and 1 extra per 50 levels up to level 2000. After 2000 you get 1 extra per 100

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:47 pm
Main: ChikushodoPain
Level: 3616

heylo wrote:
I vote for 50 base and 1 extra per 50 levels up to level 2000. After 2000 you get 1 extra per 100

This makes 90 slots at level 2000, sounds good to me.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:58 pm
Team: The Great Armada
Main: Xonok6
Level: 602

dreadlordnaf wrote:
The item slots idea is also good since that is what many MMOs do, but keep in mind those games typically allow their chars to have 60 to 100+ bag slots, and were created from the get go with this type of inventory system. That is why to me 20 seemed very low unless there is going to be a radical re-balance of how much random crap loot gets dropped.

I agree that we should just have dedicated hull space for loot instead of a slot system, because why the hell would anyone want a downgrade when we already use a space system.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:49 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

It's not a downgrade... -_-

It really isn't. It's a massive upgrade that benefits everyone no matter what.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:40 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Xonok2 wrote:
dreadlordnaf wrote:

I agree that we should just have dedicated hull space for loot instead of a slot system, because why the hell would anyone want a downgrade when we already use a space system.

How is it a downgrade when you get cargo slots PLUS your current free inventory space?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:58 pm
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

Xonok2 wrote:

I am not sure what you mean with this. But here's how I want to understand it: Let's add additional 1000 loot hull space for all ships.

I would like it more than proposed 20 slot thing. We're familiar with how items use hull space and two different types of hull could be confusing. And if there's something I've learned, automatic things are annoying and hardly ever work as intended.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:05 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

Antilzah wrote:
Xonok2 wrote:

I am not sure what you mean with this. But here's how I want to understand it: Let's add additional 1000 loot hull space for all ships.

I would like it more than proposed 20 slot thing. We're familiar with how items use hull space and two different types of hull could be confusing. And if there's something I've learned, automatic things are annoying and hardly ever work as intended.

This.

This is why I don't like the cargo slot thing.

Also, Jey never made a continuation post regarding Nexus Overcrowdedness Spillover thing he was working on. Which honestly was overly complicated. Tutorials are not Uber Zone Dungeons, which the Nexus is treated as and probably why someone asked Jey to make a spillover mechanic. Tutorials are where the new player learn the game.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:28 pm

Antilzah wrote:
Let's add additional 1000 loot hull space for all ships.

You understood it the way I meant.

Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:59 pm
Main: Ununoctium
Level: 5960

The issue with straight up hullspace is that drops can vary greatly in size. The aim of this change is (presumably) to allow players to do a few dgs and scoop the loot, not matter what their class is. It's much easier to estimate how many (large) drops a player will have per dg and work from there.

What is the intention here? Are large drops still supposed to be an annoyance/blessing the player must deal with, or is this a step towards homogenisation of looting? The most equal looting experience would either be a straight up hullspace mechanic or a blend of slots + hullspace (Am endorse!). Pure slots still greatly favours the traditional scooping classes.

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:14 pm

If something is too big to fit in the loot bay, it should be made into a crate. Just like was done with the Tardis. There aren't really all that many items with ridiculous size.

Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:14 am
Main: king kone
Level: 37

Loot will never be homogenized because both solutions still favor Support Freighter and Capital Ship classes. Ryan made a little note that everyone seems to have ignored. Loot still weighs something. And that something is getting a weight modifier as was done with carrying ships in your hull. A 5,000,000 weight item may actually become 25,000,000 weight when you loot it. Have fun carrying an extra 25m weight in your Light Fighter.

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:31 am
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: The SI
Level: 2016

Just to re-iterate, since a couple recent posters in the last couple pages seem confused, all the items take up 1 cargo slot in this system.

Looks like the response is very positive overall, but the primary concern is low number of slots? My original assumption was that you'd get 10 drops in an average DG, but in retrospect I've realized that people tend to prefer longer DGs with splits and to do every split. Maybe instead of assuming "2 average length DGs" we should cater the number around "1 long DG with splits". I'll run a few DGs on my admin character and get some loot counts to see what it looks like.

For the people asking "Why slots instead of having a cargo space". Cargo slots allow us to ensure a more consistent time before filling up. Once we find the right numbers, we can be relatively sure that you could be out and do X amount of content before having to go back to drop off loot. Sure we could put the larger items in crates, but that just moves us back closer to slots (where every item takes up equal space).

We did discuss the possibility of making commods count as a fraction of a slot (or commods up to a certain stack size only take 1 slot, or other variations), but there were concerns that it could be too complicated and take away from the simplicity of 1 item = 1 slot.

Hey, I'm Ryan! I've been playing Star Sonata since early 2005 and I've been involved with the development of the game since 2009. I do server and client programming mainly focusing on bug fixes, but I've also dabbled in creating a little bit of content too such as Captain Kidd.

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:05 am
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

SI wrote:
We did discuss the possibility of making commods count as a fraction of a slot (or commods up to a certain stack size only take 1 slot, or other variations), but there were concerns that it could be too complicated and take away from the simplicity of 1 item = 1 slot.

I suggest you let one stack of a certain commod count as one slot. So say if I scoop 15 energy globules that counts as one slot of an item thats 15 size. As so, if I scoop a bunch of BPs and whatnot and when my cargobay fills up the 10 size BPs will move to my hull before the stack of 15 globules does.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:10 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next