Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Do you like the system proposed in this post?
Poll ended at Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:31 pm
Yes 32%  32%  [ 16 ]
Yes, with some changes (reply and explain in your post) 54%  54%  [ 27 ]
No 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
Undecided 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 50

Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Brugle
Level: 4111

Post Re: Mini Design Blog: Cargo slots for loot
SI wrote:
For the people asking "Why slots instead of having a cargo space". Cargo slots allow us to ensure a more consistent time before filling up. Once we find the right numbers, we can be relatively sure that you could be out and do X amount of content before having to go back to drop off loot. Sure we could put the larger items in crates, but that just moves us back closer to slots (where every item takes up equal space).
But we all agree and are aware that the proposed system does not make loot space uncorrelated with classes. You will still get more loot space as a FC than a speed demon. Currently, in certain situations, the light fighter can't loot anything, but the capital ship (FC) can. In the new system the light fighter can loot X-items, the FC can loot X-items + what the ship could loot previously.

To make it fair, f.ex. all scooped loot goes to the loot hold, which is not dependent on class, and you need to dock to transfer items to normal hull space.

So basically the same system as proposed, but without the ability to transfer items to the hull space without being docked, either manually or automatically.

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:38 am
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: The SI
Level: 2016

To make all looting perfectly even across classes, we'd have to effectively nerf the top end that Support focus and others currently enjoy. Instead of doing that, we're opting to add a minimum baseline in looting ability to everyone. Some classes will still be better for looting, but they'll no longer be the only ones that can.

Hey, I'm Ryan! I've been playing Star Sonata since early 2005 and I've been involved with the development of the game since 2009. I do server and client programming mainly focusing on bug fixes, but I've also dabbled in creating a little bit of content too such as Captain Kidd.

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:53 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Si, you've got a perfect opportunity (If you can get it approved by Jeff) to implement micro-transactions with this!

Let people buy extra loot slots with space points!

This is a good thing for the game, you need a cash shop with worthwhile purchases for Steams release and this is the perfect thing to put in it!

Start with the 10-20? slots you planned, let people get an extra slot every 100 levels, and let people buy batches of slots for a few bucks! With a "Slot Bundle" they can buy account wide for a little bit less than what it would cost to buy the slots individually on each character. I really want to see you all do well as a game, and this would definitely be a good injection of finances, while also encouraging people to buy an XP boost item!

Oh and give P2P extra slots just for GP, like 10 or something.

Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:26 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Brugle
Level: 4111

MasterTrader wrote:
[color=#FF80FF]Si, you've got a perfect opportunity (If you can get it approved by Jeff) to implement micro-transactions with this!
What makes this something which is perfect for micro-transactions?

From your suggested figures, and lets assume a user will always buy all of these. Lets say an average player is around 3000-4000 in level. Thus might be able to buy 30-40 extra slots. Say a slot costs $ 5 - 10 and there are around 2000 players. This will generate a one time income of $300 000 - $600 000.

Compare this to $ 10 monthly subscription, 2000 players a year: $240 000.

I started out thinking this is wasn't the smartest idea, but you might be right. That's a year or two worth of revenue as possible fresh capital, not too shabby.

If it could just be made into something you would like to continue to buy over time....

Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:12 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: urzaserra2
Level: 4871

Except that the ss community is very much against stuff that can be perceived as pay to win, one of the dev suggestions in the suggestions voting thing viewtopic.php?f=263&t=55181 was soundly rejected largely due to the buying of more slots with space points. Paying for more cargo slots is very similar.

Also you make a couple of assumptions that almost certainly arnt true, one that every char/account would be buying the extra cargo slots in the first place and secondly that they will be buying all available slots. Another thing is 5-10$ is way too expensive for this type of upgrade.

Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:24 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

urzaserra256 wrote:
Except that the ss community is very much against stuff that can be perceived as pay to win, one of the dev suggestions in the suggestions voting thing viewtopic.php?f=263&t=55181 was soundly rejected largely due to the buying of more slots with space points. Paying for more cargo slots is very similar.

Also you make a couple of assumptions that almost certainly arnt true, one that every char/account would be buying the extra cargo slots in the first place and secondly that they will be buying all available slots. Another thing is 5-10$ is way too expensive for this type of upgrade.

So the solution is to give a reasonable amount of cargo slots at level 0. Say 50 be a number used. Leveling up, once per 100 levels, the player gets another slot. Most people level to 3000 if they have a specific leveling goal. So that's 50+30=80. Players can at any time of the matter buy more cargo slots for space points, in bundles of say 10 slots per 10 cargo slots (1 slot = 1 SP).

Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:11 pm
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

urzaserra256 wrote:

To be totally blunt, fuck the "anti Pay2Win" community and how they feel about "perceived Pay2Win". You guys aren't against pay to win, you're against microtransations for more Base Slots/Ship Slots/Cargo Space because that devalues your +10$ subscription. You don't care about Pay2Win that isn't direct and upfront about it but you're against admins bluntly monetizing those same things so that people who come into the game are able to take advantage of the same thing without the hassle of leveling multiple characters. Screw that shit. And also, I never gave an amount of space points it would cost NOR did I say that you would have to buy the ones you unlock from leveling. You buy BONUS ones, not the ones you unlock from leveling.

If you aren't subscribing 2+ accounts, I'm NOT talking about you when I say "You Guys", and I'll take anything you have to say about Pay2Win seriously. I'm not taking someone who literally pays +$10 or more for an edge over other players in a territory control/resource scarcity based game seriously.

And for anyone who says "Oh well, if you level another account to get more ship slots/base slots you have to actually put in work and use resources in order to get the skills for it so its not super easy and everyone can't do it." That's such a fucking elitist attitude, and its the type of thing that destroys games over the long term. Why? Because when you're doing that, the skill commods, squad slots and team slots taken up by YOUR multiple subs cannot be used by newer players. Very few people would prioritize a new player over their own alternate account, which leads to newer players not getting a chance to actually participate in content because everyone is busy doing +$10/mo microtransations. Not ONLY that, but having multiple ship slots on one account vs multiple accounts doesn't mean shit for peasant pumping. The colony doesn't care that JoeBobDumboTheFirst got the peasants from JoeBobDumboMegatronUltra's Singularity Spheres. The reasoning you guys give for anti pay to win stuff would make SENSE if multiclienting/multisubbing was banned. However it's not; it makes NO sense for the admins to ban it because it brings money in.

BUT!

If you want to make a game that thrives in the current world of gaming you need to make sure that people can spend money on the game and feel good about spending that money. Direct, meaningful purchases for things instead of "Oh just spend +10$ and level your accounts and you'll have it anyway."

Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:14 pm

Hober is buttmad.

Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:38 pm
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

the community = churchilll

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

I think I agree with Hober on this one. Don't see any problem with making cargo slots expandable with SP.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:29 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Joshua102
Level: 14714

I like the idea of just having 1,000 cargo space and filling that up instead of having X "cargo slots." It makes things a lot less complicated and easier for people to actually see what space they have left instead of having to wonder how much space they will have if they scoop something new.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:26 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Joshua102 wrote:
I like the idea of just having 1,000 cargo space and filling that up instead of having X "cargo slots." It makes things a lot less complicated and easier for people to actually see what space they have left instead of having to wonder how much space they will have if they scoop something new.

Not so hard to have Cargo ?/? displayed at the top of the inventory window.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:54 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Joshua102
Level: 14714

anilv wrote:
Not so hard to have Cargo ?/? displayed at the top of the inventory window.

It sounds complicated to have items in your cargo storage then you scoop larger ones and it moves stuff out. It just seems more annoying to see exactly how much you can scoop when everything is "1" size but at the same time is sorted by their actual size.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:56 pm
Main: stargeneral
Level: 3284

I haven't read all of the other user comments, as it is currently pretty late.

Why is it that we have to "level" out classes as far as hull space is concerned? If you want to DG on a Speed Demon then maybe you'll have to include an aug that adds a bit of hull, or use smaller/limited gear.

I really don't think it's logical to try and handicap classes that normally have less hull to be able to carry around extra items like they have some bag of holding. The system is fine as is in my opinion.

Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:17 am

supersoccer wrote:
I haven't read all of the other user comments, as it is currently pretty late.

Why is it that we have to "level" out classes as far as hull space is concerned? If you want to DG on a Speed Demon then maybe you'll have to include an aug that adds a bit of hull, or use smaller/limited gear.

I really don't think it's logical to try and handicap classes that normally have less hull to be able to carry around extra items like they have some bag of holding. The system is fine as is in my opinion.

Engineer class should get +100% Station Tweaking then. There is no reason why you as a Shield Monkey should have any bases!

Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:46 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next