Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Do you like the system proposed in this post?
Poll ended at Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:31 pm
Yes 32%  32%  [ 16 ]
Yes, with some changes (reply and explain in your post) 54%  54%  [ 27 ]
No 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
Undecided 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 50

Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: The SI
Level: 2016

Post Mini Design Blog: Cargo slots for loot
I've teased this a little on the forums, so here we go! This is purely in the design phase still (with no work towards implementation yet). We haven't settled on a final design, and we'd like your feedback before we move forward.

We're hoping to address the "loot ability imbalance" between classes. Looting ability is primarily determined by your free space in your ship, of which there is plenty of on Support Freighters and very little on Light Fighters. We'd like to even the playing field a bit and guarantee a minimal amount of looting ability on all ships, regardless of setup.

So that brings us to the proposed system! We'd like to add what we're calling "Cargo Slots" to ships. There would be roughly 20 cargo slots on a ship (number not final, and might give more to subscribed players), and loot dropped from AI would go into these slots. Item in these slots wouldn't take normal hull space on the ship.

Some details:
*If you fill your cargo slots, the smallest item would be shunted into your normal hull space. This should allow you to continue looting seamlessly if you have extra space, and means you won't have to optimize what is in there yourself.
*If you drop an item from your cargo hold, other players can scoop it into their cargo hold. Otherwise, only items sourced from AI drops will be scooped into cargo (we don't want people scooping base gear with their scout-ships, for example).
*Once you equip/use the item or transfer it to another ship, it will no longer be considered cargo.
*20 slots is not final, but this number is aimed at doing a couple DGs. We're interesting in hearing feedback on how much you generally scoop in a DG, and if you think 20 slots is enough.
*Items will still count towards the weight total of the ship, and we're considering making them weigh a bit extra (similar to how item form ships weigh extra).
*We would change the inventory UI, to clearly show which items are in cargo and which are in normal hull space (with a cargo filter replacing one of the current filters)

Hey, I'm Ryan! I've been playing Star Sonata since early 2005 and I've been involved with the development of the game since 2009. I do server and client programming mainly focusing on bug fixes, but I've also dabbled in creating a little bit of content too such as Captain Kidd.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:31 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Post Re: Mini Design Blog: Cargo slots for loot
20 slots seems low.

I suggest making it scale off your character level instead of making it a trainable skill. Give some more motivation to level characters past 3k.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:33 pm
Team: Red Faction
Main: Paladinofdoom
Level: 3693

I often fill ~3-4k of spare hull on DG trips, doing approximately 5-8 DF300-380 DGs per trip. This is the spare hull on my Engineer and Fleet Commander. (t22 alien ships both using augs that provide some hull bonuses.)

Most of that hull goes on only a few items though, weapons / shields / similar. Also a fair amount of commodities drop i.e. Energy Globules, and augmenters take up another significant chunk.

Paladin,

This guy gets my full Jiggle!

He is full of awesomesauce, and Jigglyness, buy from him!

Kanga

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:54 pm
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Gonna filter out all the stuff I agree with and add my thoughts in green.

SI wrote:
Item in these slots wouldn't take normal hull space on the ship.
What does this mean exactly? Would scooped items that go into the cargo bay fill up 1 out of 20 slots?

Some details:

*If you drop an item from your cargo hold, other players can scoop it into their cargo hold. Otherwise, only items sourced from AI drops will be scooped into cargo (we don't want people scooping base gear with their scout-ships, for example).
This needs some more thought, I think. For example you could have an offteam character scoop basegear with a singsphere and then drop it to someone else's travelship
After reading it again I think I might be misunderstanding this part. Someone wanna clarify?

*20 slots is not final, but this number is aimed at doing a couple DGs. We're interesting in hearing feedback on how much you generally scoop in a DG, and if you think 20 slots is enough.
I agree with Lemon that this seems very low (especially if we're abandoning the idea of loot crates and a boss is just going to drop 10 items (would fill up 10/20 already there) I like the sound of it scaling off of level so that P2Ps get more out of it

Besides these concerns and thoughts; Hell yes! Finally :D

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:57 pm

heylo wrote:
This needs some more thought, I think. For example you could have an offteam character scoop basegear with a singsphere and then drop it to someone else's travelship
After reading it again I think I might be misunderstanding this part. Someone wanna clarify?

A simple way of putting it is this :
If an item has ever been in a normal ship cargo hold, it can never be in the 'magic cargo slots' ever.

Paladin,

Kanga

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:11 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Make cargo hold items %chance to drop on pvp death

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

sabre198 wrote:

I kinda like this. XD

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:25 pm

sabre198 wrote:

What if we had some sort of glue you could equip, to stick it all in there?

Paladin,

Kanga

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:26 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

No glue , your losses would be limited already to just the days plunder after all

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: Danger
Level: 7164

I mean, would be cool to make a reason for pvp. People dging about and gotta protect their loot til the go and unload it, then it's theirs.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

heylo wrote:
SI wrote:
Item in these slots wouldn't take normal hull space on the ship.

What does this mean exactly? Would scooped items that go into the cargo bay fill up 1 out of 20 slots?

Yes, the idea is that each item takes up a "cargo slot" instead of normal hull space.

heylo wrote:
SI wrote:

I may have worded that poorly. If an item with "cargo status" is dropped by a player, then they can toss it for other players to scoop as cargo. "Cargo status" cannot be added to an item, they can only drop that way from AI.

heylo wrote:
SI wrote:

I agree with Lemon that this seems very low (especially if we're abandoning the idea of loot crates and a boss is just going to drop 10 items (would fill up 10/20 already there) I like the sound of it scaling off of level so that P2Ps get more out of it

I'm definitely interested in how many slots everyone thinks we should have, and how many items people expect to acquire running through an average DG.

Hey, I'm Ryan! I've been playing Star Sonata since early 2005 and I've been involved with the development of the game since 2009. I do server and client programming mainly focusing on bug fixes, but I've also dabbled in creating a little bit of content too such as Captain Kidd.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:53 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

sabre198 wrote:

This is definitely an interesting option that I hadn't considered. It would be a big change from now though.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:55 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Ideally id like to have at least 1k cargo space. Ill usually grab about 2k worth of lewt in a hour of Dging. Although lately i dont bother scooping anymore if im speed DGing solo on zerk.

Also i love the idea of cargo stuff dropping, this could be some much needed pvp incentive. I would suggest once you have cargo stuff some sort of visual change that shows you have cargo stuff to drop, so people know they can attack you.

I was thinking about this the other day, is there any way you guys could optimize scooping slaves. Like let us make slaves for the sole purpose of scooping our lewt, we dont have to do anything they just automatically scoop whatever lewt is dropped from stuff we kill?

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:26 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

So.

Basically, just like the Loot Inventory vs Equipment Inventory thing I proposed a bit back...

Except:

Instead of taking up actual inventory space (a duplication of the standard ship inventory system we have now), each individual item <regardless> of size, is associated with one specific cargo slot.

So if 20 Giga Gigo Lasers drop, and while unlikely, a player in a Zebucart can scoop it all up. All 44,000 plus space worth of drops. I hope I'm misunderstanding it, because what the actual fuck.

--

If that's the way it's designed as, scrap it. Do as what Lemon and I have been saying: a separate inventory that you can't use or equip items in, that is tied to your character's level, (to encourage leveling) and factor the weight of all items into the combined total weight on the ship. Can transfer commodities (aka, fuel) back and forth between the two inventories, but that's it.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:33 pm

carterstrain wrote:
If that's the way it's designed as, scrap it.

Saying "what the actual fuck" isn't justification. What's wrong with someone being able to scoop the loot they get as drops? Who cares how large it is.

Paladin,

Kanga

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:43 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next