Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Do you like the system proposed in this post?
Poll ended at Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:31 pm
Yes 32%  32%  [ 16 ]
Yes, with some changes (reply and explain in your post) 54%  54%  [ 27 ]
No 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
Undecided 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 50

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Phantom
Level: 4762

Post Re: Mini Design Blog: Cargo slots for loot
sabre198 wrote:
zhuang281 wrote:
sabre198 wrote:
Make cargo hold items %chance to drop on pvp death

You'd need a way for people to uncargohold their items if they want then I think. The way it is now, you can still jury rig it so that more valuable items are not in cargo. Might as well eliminate the trouble.

L2R
*Once you equip/use the item or transfer it to another ship, it will no longer be considered cargo.

L2Understand and stop attacking people.

What if you are carrying a valuable aug that you just scooped. You cannot equip it, you cannot transfer it to another ship unless you drop it (in which case it still would be in the cargo hold), you cannot use it.

What happens if you don't want to lose the aug if someone kills you? You would toss and scoop cargohold items, or kill weak AI and scoop drops, until this aug is bumped out of your hold into your main ship. If this happens, the aug can no longer be lost.

So i'm saying if this is going to be an intended feature, why not make it easier to move the aug out of your cargo hold.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:49 am
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

zhuang281 wrote:
sabre198 wrote:
zhuang281 wrote:

You'd need a way for people to uncargohold their items if they want then I think. The way it is now, you can still jury rig it so that more valuable items are not in cargo. Might as well eliminate the trouble.

L2R
*Once you equip/use the item or transfer it to another ship, it will no longer be considered cargo.

L2Understand and stop attacking people.

What if you are carrying a valuable aug that you just scooped. You cannot equip it, you cannot transfer it to another ship unless you drop it (in which case it still would be in the cargo hold), you cannot use it.

What happens if you don't want to lose the aug if someone kills you? You would toss and scoop cargohold items, or kill weak AI and scoop drops, until this aug is bumped out of your hold into your main ship. If this happens, the aug can no longer be lost.

So i'm saying if this is going to be an intended feature, why not make it easier to move the aug out of your cargo hold.

No.... You'd transwarp out to storage and not be a complete idiot.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:51 am

heylo wrote:
No.... You'd transwarp out to storage and not be a complete idiot.

I'm not sure you realise that I am responding to topbuzz's specific suggestion that items should drop from cargo hold, allowing profitable pirating to occur.

I know that you can just transwarp out. But I am not commenting on the feasibility of pirating someone. I'm commenting on either removing a loophole or making it easier if it is an intended feature. Either way, these comments occur within the realm of topbuzz's suggestion.

Also, I doubt you'd be transwarping out after every DG. Say if it's not as valuable but you still don't want to lose it. Why not make it easier for people to not lose the item, if it can be done via a loophole anyway.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:57 am
Contributor

Ah, k. Yea I agree close the loophole or make it easier to use then :P

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:02 am

:)

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:04 am
Main: GodSteel
Level: 3170

Godsteel wrote:
... do items in cargo stack?
Let's say I've scooped 20 energy globules from wattages,
do I have 1 cargo slot filled with 20 energy globules or 20 slots filled with 1 globules each?

SI?

Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:03 am
Contributor

Actually you could you toss the aug and rescoop it so it'd go into your regular hull, DP :D

Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:15 am

heylo wrote:
Actually you could you toss the aug and rescoop it so it'd go into your regular hull, DP :D

Hmm thought it went back into cargo hold. Im assuming that "other players" includes yourself as well.

"If you drop an item from your cargo hold, other players can scoop it into their cargo hold"

I'm not trying to be difficult btw :P

Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:29 am
Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: yclept
Level: 2002

There are a lot of good questions going around so I will do my best to answer all of them. So far I am really happy with the reception of the idea and look forward to seeing the continued response.

* Is 20 slots enough when you are scooping tons of tweaks and augs?

I don't know, but I want to point something out that you may be overlooking. Since smaller items will automatically lose cargo status as you scoop larger ones, tweaks and augs will tend to get shunted into your regular inventory as you pick more things up. If you have, say, 100 free space on SD while DGing, you will start filling that up as you go but you'll at least have room for 20 valuable items of any size. So if this concern is coming from someone who has a zero-space SD, I can understand, but if it's someone who has at least a modest amount of free hull space, don't forget that you do still get to use that space and it will be managed automatically by the game.

* Should cargo loot be lost when you are killed in PvP?

I actually proposed a system like this ages ago, and that was a feature of it. I'm excited that the system has finally gained some traction, and I am still open to this as well. However, those of you who support it should be advised that we would need to address a lot more loopholes than otherwise, which would potentially put some constraints on the rest of the system. More on this later.

* (related) How do you "uncargo" items?

As stated, items will lose cargo status if you transfer or equip them. In the current draft, there is also a right-click menu option to do this manually. It is not yet decided whether this can be done on the fly, or only while docked. Tossing and rescooping would have no effect on cargo status in any way.

* Do all items in the same stack just take up one cargo slot?

No. In the current draft, each commodity takes up 1 slot but of course they will soon be shunted into your regular inventory as you pick up larger cargo items. And a stack of large items will not just take one cargo slot, either.

* PvP concerns?

If cargo loot is made vulnerable to player piracy, we will have to take especial care to keep the system from being abused. For starters, we would have to prevent players from manually removing cargo status while undocked. Otherwise, a player would simply do so whenever scooping a valuable item into cargo, provided they have space in their inventory for it. This is not so difficult to do – we would just make the right-click menu item unavailable while undocked. I'm pretty sure we have already closed the other loopholes, but feel free to keep trying to think of new ways to manually remove cargo status.

On that note, I am also concerned that any system of this kind would roll back some of what we are trying to accomplish in terms of evening out the looting ability of the combat classes. Unless we give you all so many cargo slots that you barely ever have to use your regular inventory, the problem will remain that player with more free hull space will be less susceptible to piracy (since more of their loot items can be shunted out of cargo). I am definitely open to considering raising the number of slots from 20 to something substantially higher, but only if I'm confident that this will improve the quality of the game. 100 slots might be pushing it though -- especially if you're a bit choosey when you DG and don't keep most of the random BPs and tweaks you pick up. But I'm open to discussion on that point.

andezrhode2a wrote:
And did you consider what this would do to a great many specific ship setups, which are fully functioning even when overhulled?

If you would let us know what precisely you are referring to, we will close those loopholes. There should definitely not be any setups that function fully while overhulled.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. You may know me in-game as enkelin. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:56 am
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Brugle
Level: 4111

Combat slaves can be over hull limit i believe. Will CS still be able to loot with the cargo system?

Edit: I'm guessing calypso presence can also make ship be over hull limit.

Last edited by andsimo on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:44 am
Contributor

What of the idea of getting more cargo space the higher level you are / making it a credit sink (should cap cargo slots to avoid imbalance)

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:45 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: Danger
Level: 7164

My Zerker has a pax astro slave to scoop all my loot, if this is implemented, will combat slaves have their own cargo as well? or if I toss the cargo item and let the slave scoop it will it turn to a normal item instead of cargo based?

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:45 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

No it should go into your pax Astro cargo, and if that gets popped I say it should start coughing up cargo

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Evade
Level: 5731

yclepticon wrote:
If you would let us know what precisely you are referring to, we will close those loopholes. There should definitely not be any setups that function fully while overhulled.

Shipscanners can be used in setups when overhulled. ENIAC setups taking advantage of the hull boost comes to mind.

Drones can be deployed when overhulled, and you would only need to engage the device to scoop the drones again. Seer mines comes to mind.

Tractors can be engaged when overhulled. This shouldn't be too much of an issue as recon classes are rarely used for tractor ship setups.

Missiles can be launched when overhulled. This shouldn't be all that much of an issue, but seer missiles are powerful regardless.

I haven't tested if weapons from superitems work when overhulled, but this too would allow seers to build overhulled setups based on the offensive superitems they have.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:44 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Considering you can't shoot while in an overhulled ship, I'm not sure what would be useful if overhulled. Slaves being the exception to this of course.

I'm in favor of say 10 loot slots to start, and then slowly increasing up to say 50 or so at level 3k, and then have it scale infinitely above that. Another loot slot every 50 levels!

Or we can have it another credit/commod skill sink like everything else is. Idk.

Once the blueprint glut is removed from the DG drop tables, 20 is perfectly reasonable. But the current spam of 1-1000 size blueprints makes that unreasonable currently.

I really like the automatic nature of it, putting smaller items into your hullspace and leaving the large ones until something bigger is added to the cargo hull. I like that a lot.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:47 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next