over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Tweaks to the industrial commodities system
I don't have any Bar Skills past 10. :roll: Am bad at gaem

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:12 pm
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

anilv wrote:
I don't have any Bar Skills past 10. :roll: Am bad at gaem

Remember that time when you said you'd upgrade your engineer to T22? That was 2 years ago and it's still in that terribad HM :mrgreen:

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:19 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

Quote:
This runs into the counterintuitive scenario where selling more commodities will make you less money.

That's not counter intuitive, that's 101 level economics. As supply increases price falls.

Quote:
While we’re happy with the weight of these commodities when moved using bots, we aren’t too happy with how it seems to be inhibiting manual trading.

I seem to remember screaming my head off about this when the system was first proposed...oh wait, that's because i did.

Quote:
Because the consumption rate is constant in the current system, the optimal strategy is to sell just under that rate in order to keep the supply close to zero

How did you guys figure the rate out? Sitting and watching for hours?

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:42 am
Team: The Great Armada
Main: Xonok6
Level: 602

lrellok wrote:
Quote:
This runs into the counterintuitive scenario where selling more commodities will make you less money.

That's not counter intuitive, that's 101 level economics. As supply increases price falls.

Quote:
While we’re happy with the weight of these commodities when moved using bots, we aren’t too happy with how it seems to be inhibiting manual trading.

I seem to remember screaming my head off about this when the system was first proposed...oh wait, that's because i did.

Quote:
Because the consumption rate is constant in the current system, the optimal strategy is to sell just under that rate in order to keep the supply close to zero

How did you guys figure the rate out? Sitting and watching for hours?

Lowering the profit margin in real economics is generally done to increase overall profit. You can get more money by just getting to more people, as long as you keep production costs in mind. ICs however would give full profit up until a certain volume, after which they'd suddenly crash due to the bases being filled faster than they consume. It made no sense so I'm glad it's getting fixed.

Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:29 am

Xonok2 wrote:
Lowering the profit margin in real economics is generally done to increase overall profit. You can get more money by just getting to more people, as long as you keep production costs in mind. ICs however would give full profit up until a certain volume, after which they'd suddenly crash due to the bases being filled faster than they consume. It made no sense so I'm glad it's getting fixed.

In a competitive market, yes. Read about the gilded age. The reason Monopolies were a problem is that they would pull exactly this trick, holding productivity just below demand to inflate prices against fixed production costs. Lowering your profit margin only works if you have competitors to take customers away from, if you are the only one selling in the market, its pointless. Which is the case with a station inside a claimed system chain. I am glad it is fixed as well, but this was entirely predictable.

Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:47 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

it will suffer from the same crappy reason its pointless to make fine space whiskey and ship it round, the bases crash and you end up losing money. its too difficult to regulate your slaves. even if you do some other asshole starts dumping on your ai base

Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:22 am
Profile WWW

sabre198 wrote:
it will suffer from the same crappy reason its pointless to make fine space whiskey and ship it round

I am about to make a suggestion you might support then.

Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:59 am