Post Weekly Dev Blog - 6th July
Discussion topic for post: http://www.starsonata.com/blog/weekly-d ... -6th-july/

Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:45 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Post Re: Weekly Dev Blog - 6th July
Quote:
I can’t share everything with you

Why? This would be acceptable if it were actual paid developers working on the game, this isnt acceptable when its volunteer players who are active players of the game. Everyone should have the same information they have.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:50 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

redalert150 wrote:
Quote:

Why? This would be acceptable if it were actual paid developers working on the game, this isnt acceptable when its volunteer players who are active players of the game. Everyone should have the same information they have.

The playerbase will be informed about how it will work as time goes on. Try to cut me a little slack, I'm doing the best I can to broaden the lines of communication. There's no benefit to be had by knowing how things are going to work during the development process... :roll: things can always change during that time. Baby steps.

Baby steps. :wink:

Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:55 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Not attacking you hober. Im just saying that because if this is how Jeff wants to run his game then 100% transparency needs to happen if he wants people to stop screaming admin exploits everytime something happens. Or he can continue to not care and lose more people.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:05 pm
Main: Mow
Level: 9759

You don't need to "share everything with us", just give us an idea as to what you're doing so we can actually give you our views. You never know, the players may regard it as even worse than the pile of crap we currently have. Transparency please.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:57 am
Team: Resident Evil
Main: Kaguya
Level: 3248

Nothing about a patch or some information what Jey/Jeff is doing. And ... are there like, ... not more devs?

Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:49 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

MasterTrader wrote:
redalert150 wrote:
Quote:

The playerbase will be informed about how it will work as time goes on. Try to cut me a little slack, I'm doing the best I can to broaden the lines of communication. There's no benefit to be had by knowing how things are going to work during the development process... :roll: things can always change during that time. Baby steps.

Baby steps. :wink:

Not gonna lie, Hober... He is right. WoW, which has basically zero problems with dev player account abuse that see the light of day, let's basically all development be known outside of endgame raid mechanics.

There is literally no reason to keep any intents of development behind curtains (unless it involves fixing an obscure and exploitable bug), because that basically means you're running your business like a fucking random grab-bag. Which is probably why SS has just the worst track record ever for implementing poorly tested, badly balanced content.

There are like 100 unique players of SS, and while that is not a lot, those 100 are going to be thousands of times better at critiquing your ideas than you and 4 other devs are. Prime example; Legion is about to launch, Blizzard's early ideas for a Marksmanship Hunter revamp involved removing pets from all marksmanship hunters. The playerbase promptly flipped the fuck out, and prevented them from nerfing their own income.

Why the fuck shouldn't SS operate the same way? Refusing to give someone information on what you're selling them is shady at best.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:41 am
Contributor

Oh my goodness, I had no intention of giving you all the impression that there was some super secret information yet to be shared.

There will be a blog post about the new Emperor system soon.

Now, let me be very frank and clear about something: The Emperor system is in the design phase, a possible design plan has been accepted and that plan will be prototyped (This is what I mean by implemented, implementing the plan into a prototype. Not implementing it into the game. If I chose words poorly then that is my fault and not the fault of the reader.) and shared with the player base. There was nothing else to share with the player base that mattered, that's why I can't share everything with you. Blizzard isn't going to share every little iteration of a design with their players, and you shouldn't expect SS to do the same.

Example: Do you all really care whether or not uninhabitable planets with no resources on them are a new class of moons with multiple slots or just planets that are forced to have nothing on them? No, you don't. It has no impact on your interaction with the game. That information doesn't matter to the player.

I used to be in the same position as the rest of you, constantly calling for more information from the development team. Do you trust that I still have the same desire to share as much as possible with you as I can? If you don't trust that, then there's nothing I can say. The player base will be informed with as much information as I possibly can share with them, but you all have to take 2 seconds and acknowledge that you may damage the line of communication with developers and administrators by responding immediately with harsh words.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:18 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

MasterTrader wrote:
Example: Do you all really care whether or not uninhabitable planets with no resources on them are a new class of moons with multiple slots or just planets that are forced to have nothing on them? No, you don't. It has no impact on your interaction with the game. That information doesn't matter to the player.

Umm. Planets with no resources are ideal for colonies so it would matter quite a lot actually.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:04 pm
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Antilzah wrote:
MasterTrader wrote:

Umm. Planets with no resources are ideal for colonies so it would matter quite a lot actually.

Haha. He got you there Hober :P
I'll be posting our current plans for the emp contest rework within the next few days :) don't worry

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:13 pm
Contributor

Antilzah wrote:
MasterTrader wrote:

But it wouldn't matter in the scope of this design since you can't put colonies on the planet in our plan. The whole point of doing this was so you couldn't and wouldn't have any reason to hold those galaxies. Trying to pull a gotcha on an off the cuff example doesn't really prove anything...

Anyway, there's going to be a Dev Blog post about it soon. You all can tear someone else a new one about it. :P

Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:17 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Antilzah wrote:
MasterTrader wrote:

To be fair, he said that they're uninhabitable so colonies are out of the question anyway.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:56 pm
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

He said uninhabitable or empty planets, that's quite a major difference gameplay wise. Anyway the planets will be 0% suitability so colos are out of the question :)

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:57 am
Contributor

"Forced to have nothing on them" :? I feel like that's broad enough to cover everything...

Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:41 am