Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Post Re: Quality of Life Changes to Bases
yeh true that can put back my crits on my mzu cloaks if its just a few % :lol:

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:51 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Masterful wrote:
anilv wrote:
Freez wrote:
If you want to give kits free X gear so badly should make it up to t18 with Achi X or something and leave t20 out of it.

Anni X gear is only 9% stronger than Ach X gear. If you are OK with one you should be OK with the other as well.

Anyone with decent knowledge of mathematics or statistics knows 9% is a shit ton of difference.

Like really, we pay 10x the cost for the 10% upgrade a + ship offers.

Actually, you pay that kind of cost because endgamers love dumping tons of resources on marginal improvements, not because you actually see much of a difference in normal gameplay. It's simple psychology, what keeps them coming back for more. 9% stronger gear means that you save ~1 base for every 10 you lay. There are very few galaxies defended with 10+ endgame kits, and very few BvBs taking place with 10+ endgame kits. This means that in most cases you won't even notice the difference between Achilles X and Annihilator X. And in the fringe cases where it does make a difference, just lay another kit. The entire opposition argument to this change presupposes that base slots and augs are free.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:08 am
Team: Resident Evil
Main: Kaguya
Level: 3248

anilv wrote:
Actually, you pay that kind of cost because endgamers love dumping tons of resources on marginal improvements, not because you actually see much of a difference in normal gameplay. It's simple psychology, what keeps them coming back for more. 9% stronger gear means that you save ~1 base for every 10 you lay. There are very few galaxies defended with 10+ endgame kits, and very few BvBs taking place with 10+ endgame kits. This means that in most cases you won't even notice the difference between Achilles X and Annihilator X. And in the fringe cases where it does make a difference, just lay another kit. The entire opposition argument to this change presupposes that base slots and augs are free.

I've just calculated the difference between Adamantium/Armada gear, compared to Anni X, that is without Anni Radar X & Anni Capacitor X: and the amount you get more from Adamantium/Armada Gear is just stupid, it's basicly nothing, could probably just pretend the bonus doesn't exist and be happy next uni, that you got a shit ton of sets Adamantium/Armada or not, doing nothing in your storage. Atleast you don't have to use JY kits anymore to make ExE kits if you cba to equip them (atleast for JY kits you pay a cost for laziness). Ohn, now that I think about it: JY kits can also be thrown away, since you get better bases, with better gear & for less space.

Paying for 8-9% more stats is something fabricated by devs, since that is how you want to have the game it seems. That is what Adamantium/Armada gear has become thanks to this update. If you compare Achilles X vs Adamantium/Armada gear, it is worth to actually build the Adamantium/Armada Gear.

You haven't seen RF galaxies this uni then, since they have more then 10+ kits in their gals for defense. And BvB'ing in this game is impossible with the shit client. Whenever 13 BvBs a galaxy, he likes to shit a ton of kits too; JY or Bana.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:21 am
over 9000!

KonanCruss2 wrote:
Paying for 8-9% more stats is something fabricated by devs, since that is how you want to have the game it seems. That is what Adamantium/Armada gear has become thanks to this update.

That is correct. We want Ada/Armada gear to be a convenience item and particularly useful in BvB. I understand that this is not a welcome change to some players who have stockpiled tons of that gear. That is the one criticism that's been raised in this thread that I am quite on board with.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:29 am

anilv wrote:
KonanCruss2 wrote:
Paying for 8-9% more stats is something fabricated by devs, since that is how you want to have the game it seems. That is what Adamantium/Armada gear has become thanks to this update.

That is correct. We want Ada/Armada gear to be a convenience item and particularly useful in BvB. I understand that this is not a welcome change to some players who have stockpiled tons of that gear. That is the one criticism that's been raised in this thread that I am quite on board with.

I've talked with a bunch of people, and everyone seems to agree with me that this change is absurd, even a lv700 guy, that doesn't have T20.

He also made me realise that defending galaxies is meaningless now, you just need to outnumber them. The only limiting factor to this, the client.

Explain how Adamantium/Armada gear would be a convenience in BvB? The matter of "just deploying 1 more kit" seems to be something you are in favour of. So if you don't have enough DPS to dent a galaxy, "just deploy 1 more kit". The line of thoughts are impossible to be connected.

I still like that even a newbie finds it absurd this change.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:38 am
over 9000!

Why would a newbie have any idea about endgame base balance?

Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:41 am

anilv wrote:

Ohn, wasn't it for newbies this change? Because they got shit on by end game players?

Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:43 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Yeh at least that newbie has a chance to add bases whereas now he has no chance to get to line 1k of the spreadsht

Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:30 pm
Profile WWW

sabre198 wrote:
Yeh at least that newbie has a chance to add bases whereas now he has no chance to get to line 1k of the spreadsht

I don't get this spreadsheet thing, you can do everything you want with bases, without getting to line 1k on the spreadsheet.
Last time I saw a so called "experienced" player BvB he didn't bring OverChargers, and augged his kits like shit. Will this fix the problem? For damn sure not.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:40 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

anilv wrote:

Well it seems the dev in charge of balance sure fucking doesn't, so really it's anyone's guess at this point...

Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:18 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Momonga
Level: 6776

ShawnMcCall wrote:
anilv wrote:

Well it seems the dev in charge of balance sure fucking doesn't, so really it's anyone's guess at this point...

Shots fired

Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:56 pm
over 9000!

Guess I better uninstall :lol:

Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:00 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Momonga
Level: 6776

anilv wrote:
Guess I better uninstall :lol:

was about time!

Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:01 pm
over 9000!

In all seriousness, my only reason for continuing posting in this thread is that I am legitimately interested in figuring out if there are any aspects of the proposed change that have not yet been considered by the dev team. If such an aspect were to come to light, I would take it back for consideration and possibly recommend a revision to the proposal. So far there have been a couple good points raised by the community, which I can sum up below.

1) This change will make Ada/Armada gear more specialized / less generally used.

True, and intended. We do acknowledge that this won't sit well with some players but we strongly believe it's the correct move and hope you will come to agree with us.

2) This change will help attackers in BvB

I've given what I think are strong arguments against this stance, and so far the only response to those arguments has been to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about or that I'm intentionally obscuring the facts. Obviously, the conversation won't proceed any further like that.

3) This change will make basing all about quantity over quality

Yes and no. It will certainly raise the skill floor of basing, but I believe that with the great variety of augmenter setups and strategies, base combat is still going to be plenty skill-oriented. Obviously more bases can only help your cause, but the cost of using proper base kits and base augs goes along with that. Ever since the Base Rebalance a few years ago, our general philosophy has been that if you want to spend more on using more bases, you can feel free to do that. We are simply following through with that philosophy with this update.

As said, I'm sticking around in case the community comes up with some more points, possibly ones that I haven't thought of yet.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:06 pm

anilv wrote:
1) This change will make Ada/Armada gear more specialized / less generally used.

True, and intended. We do acknowledge that this won't sit well with some players but we strongly believe it's the correct move and hope you will come to agree with us.

How is having new players be on the same lvl as people ,that are end game and have worked hard on being end game, since day 1 a move in the right direction?
It's like everyone that is end game, just created an account and BOOM insta end game. The "won't sit well with some players" is kinda an euphemism, to what it actually really is.

anilv wrote:
2) This change will help attackers in BvB

I've given what I think are strong arguments against this stance, and so far the only response to those arguments has been to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about or that I'm intentionally obscuring the facts. Obviously, the conversation won't proceed any further like that.

You mean by raising, lowering I assume? Why bother deploying a Ada Kit with Ada Gear & Augmenters, if it is cheaper to deploy 2-3 Ada Kits with FREE Anni X Gear & Augmenters. You have never responded to this and you've been keeping on ignoring this. You say 8% doesn't matter, but when it comes in figures of 100k and higher it starts to matter a whole lot. Only strong arguments is you saying anything you want without answering what other have said.

anilv wrote:
3) This change will make basing all about quantity over quality

Yes and no. It will certainly raise the skill floor of basing, but I believe that with the great variety of augmenter setups and strategies, base combat is still going to be plenty skill-oriented. Obviously more bases can only help your cause, but the cost of using proper base kits and base augs goes along with that. Ever since the Base Rebalance a few years ago, our general philosophy has been that if you want to spend more on using more bases, you can feel free to do that. We are simply following through with that philosophy with this update.

You aren't, because basing has become significantly cheaper then what it is. Atleast now you have to have the gear to be able to deploy more kits, now you just need to have a fucking 100-4000 hull space kit in your inventory at the place of 100k base gear + kit.
Only thing you can do as defender is just deploy enough kits to discourage PvB and when you get BvB'd is to defend it, or if the attack is too crazy to just bail and fuck somewhere else, and if you're stupid, you can also deploy more kits to defend against it, but ...

I guess the only ones that are happy with this change are the people that have a bunch of Achilles, Annihilator gear and they get a free upgrade to Adamantium/Armada lvl of gear. Just by writing this sentence makes it so absurd how such a change can be pulled off. But who cares right, with steam release in 1-2months, and a client crashing randomly, with devs that are volunteers making the last decisions, ohn and let's not forget the famous 4 patches per year feature, this game will surely have a good future.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:27 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next