Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Team: Traders
Main: DefQon1
Level: 5100

Post Re: Quality of Life Changes to Bases
hm.

my future pirate career cries. x3
or is this just the beginning...

Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:36 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4888

KonanCruss2 wrote:
How is having new players be on the same lvl as people ,that are end game and have worked hard on being end game, since day 1 a move in the right direction?
It's like everyone that is end game, just created an account and BOOM insta end game. The "won't sit well with some players" is kinda an euphemism, to what it actually really is.

EDITED Everything under this is my personal opinion: The current end game players have not worked very hard towards being end game "since day 1". First off you all weren't here since day 1, and second off you all benefited from the knowledge and resources that were given/sold/made available to you by the previous crop of end game players. You all have had it far easier than any other group of end game players has ever had it in the past.

Last edited by MasterTrader on Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:04 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

anilv wrote:
KonanCruss2 wrote:
Paying for 8-9% more stats is something fabricated by devs, since that is how you want to have the game it seems. That is what Adamantium/Armada gear has become thanks to this update.

That is correct. We want Ada/Armada gear to be a convenience item and particularly useful in BvB. I understand that this is not a welcome change to some players who have stockpiled tons of that gear. That is the one criticism that's been raised in this thread that I am quite on board with.

Mind explaining to me how the fuck, ada/armada gear become a convenience item or "particularly useful in BvB" when it's actually more inconvenient and more prone to mistakes to individually gear and aug kits, and how is it particularly more useful in BvB when cheaper than the Ada gear I can just make more ada kits that come with gear that is very nearly as strong as ada gear...

Oh and tell me how you haven't been misinterpreting things intentionally? You said tanking and survivability doesn't noticably factor into BvB which is just about the most ridiculous damn thing I have ever heard, considering BvB lasts hours and is usually a game of keeping your tank alive and in front of mags...

Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:06 pm
Team: Resident Evil
Main: Kaguya
Level: 3248

MasterTrader wrote:
Everything under this is my personal opinion: The current end game players have no worked hard towards being end game "since day 1". You all have had it far easier than any other group of end game players in the past.

Nope read the sentence 5 times can't figure it out, I guess you mean that I had it easier to go to end game then other people in the past? I assume.

If that's so, then let me reply with this: Every single T22 boss I have figured it out by myself with people that haven't done T22 bosses, the first T22 skills I've gotten are where I've played a major role in actually doing the content. That's with a T21 ship that isn't oly ship or a Prawn.
For T21 I've done it via Shard Missions, which assumingly, is easier then before indeed.
As for gear, everything I own are stuff I've farmed myself, or have rolled on group runs. Only thing I've bought is Bindomite for the most part, getting 1-2k Bindomite without buying it is bleh, I don't like prospecting.

There are no shortcuts to end game, it's just everyone trying to take one and failing misserably, so misserably that they quit because of it. I've taken no shortcuts in making Adamantium gear, and in the end, when I've started producing Adamantium gear, you read a post saying "Everyone gets free Adamantium gear". That's a damn issue in my books.

Being ignorant of not wanting to give in to it is fine by me. But trying to talk the people that aren't ignorant of the fact that people having free Adamantium gear is a bad idea, is just a waste of our time.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:20 pm
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

yeh that would seem a shitter if you've just got to that level and after having Ada gear rammed down your face constantly as the must have thing. The reality is you will wake up with it all gone likely as people like you with good intentions get farmed by the scumbags.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Resident Evil
Main: Kaguya
Level: 3248

sabre198 wrote:
yeh that would seem a shitter if you've just got to that level and after having Ada gear rammed down your face constantly as the must have thing. The reality is you will wake up with it all gone likely as people like you with good intentions get farmed by the scumbags.

Actually, right now Ada Gear isn't strictly needed. You just need to finish X gear in a week and you have the less strong varriant of Ada Gear. That's how I've done it up untill now, and that's how I've been able to extract commodities to get Ada Gear myself. The only thing you need to have as knowledge is how to defend your galaxy, and what to do when you get attacked. Plus, you're not alone, if you can't afford Ada Gear easly, it can be made a team project. I assume that was how it went in the beginning?

Now with ICs, you can just buy the Adamantium Sheets just like that & make the Adamantium Gear that way. The only issue of Adamantium Gear is farming the Love Cilinder Remains, Hell Fire Remains and getting Hazard Dissipator Ultra's. With ICs basing has become so cheap, can just do no lockouts, and just buy everything of the market and you'll get everything for 10 Ada Kits, augmenters, Ada Gear just easly.

Atleast XYZ gear is a brake on the money flow of ICs at the start of each uni, just like colonies getting to a decent population is, but seems like it isn't anymore.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:48 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Quote:
How is having new players be on the same lvl as people ,that are end game and have worked hard on being end game, since day 1 a move in the right direction?
It's like everyone that is end game, just created an account and BOOM insta end game. The "won't sit well with some players" is kinda an euphemism, to what it actually really is.

As veteran players, you and I both know that what makes someone good at this game is far more than having the right gear. That is doubly true for something as technical as base combat. I am not in the least bit worried about some new players waltzing into SS and becoming the next BvB lords because of this change.

Quote:
You mean by raising, lowering I assume? Why bother deploying a Ada Kit with Ada Gear & Augmenters, if it is cheaper to deploy 2-3 Ada Kits with FREE Anni X Gear & Augmenters. You have never responded to this and you've been keeping on ignoring this. You say 8% doesn't matter, but when it comes in figures of 100k and higher it starts to matter a whole lot. Only strong arguments is you saying anything you want without answering what other have said.

Raising the skill floor, i.e. improving the worst performance. If you feel that you can be more effective deploying more kits without Ada/Armada gear, that is your prerogative. As I've said before, I am not telling you how to play the game.

I guess I will recap my point from earlier here as well. When you BvB this uni, would you consider using regular Annihilator gear instead of Ada/Armada? It's much cheaper, after all. You could lay tons more kits without putting the expensive gear out. It sounds like you don't think the tradeoff is worth it with regular Annihilator gear, though. See below for the punchline (and the tl;dr below that for a quick summary).

So what about Anni X? You will be getting 25% better shield regen and a few percent better dampening, compared to regular Anni gear. However, you have plenty of BvB slots to throw around, don't you? Then those stats don't matter because you can just go ahead and lay as many T16-18 healer kits behind the front line as you want. What I am proving here is this:

1) Assuming you can afford plenty of Anni gear and Lac damps, and
2) assuming you have BvB slots to spare,

you can do just as well with plain Anni gear as you can with Anni X gear in a BvB. Granted, if you are low on BvB slots you may not be able to get enough healing in the back lines to support the lower regen. But if you're so low on BvB slots, you won't be trying to get around Ada/Armada by spamming Anni X bases in the first place. Likewise, maybe you don't have enough Lac damps to go around. But then how exactly are you affording all the base augs that go into those extra kits?

tl;dr: If Anni X makes BvB spam too strong, then we should all be spamming regular Anni kits already. The difference of 25% is only relevant to the tankiness of your kits, and if you're already in the BvB-spam business a few extra cheap healers in the back is no problem.

Quote:
You aren't, because basing has become significantly cheaper then what it is. Atleast now you have to have the gear to be able to deploy more kits, now you just need to have a fucking 100-4000 hull space kit in your inventory at the place of 100k base gear + kit.
Only thing you can do as defender is just deploy enough kits to discourage PvB and when you get BvB'd is to defend it, or if the attack is too crazy to just bail and fuck somewhere else, and if you're stupid, you can also deploy more kits to defend against it, but ...

As I was saying above, this change doesn't make BvB spam measurably stronger than it already is with plain old Annihilator gear. That 25% increase with inbuilt gear may feel a lot stronger, but when it comes to actual BvB you aren't getting the bonuses where you need them (DPS).

Quote:
I guess the only ones that are happy with this change are the people that have a bunch of Achilles, Annihilator gear and they get a free upgrade to Adamantium/Armada lvl of gear.

Those players would definitely stand to gain the most from this change, but I think the future of the game will gain as well. I have lost count how many people have quit SS because of losing their hard-earned base gear. It just costs too much to play the Wild Space game, when you stand to lose it all some night while you're asleep. Pushing the cost of building to kits and augs (which can't be recouped anyway) means that players will have a better idea going in exactly what they stand to lose or gain.

I do want to thank you for your thoughtful reply to my post and I hope we can keep up the conversation.

Quote:
Mind explaining to me how the fuck, ada/armada gear become a convenience item or "particularly useful in BvB" when it's actually more inconvenient and more prone to mistakes to individually gear and aug kits

I think most of your questions are addressed above. To this one I'll repeat that we don't want basing to carry an upfront cost of gear investment. This is because it increases the chance of "catastrophic" loss, which leads to quitting. Once the cost of basing is more centralized on a per-uni cost, players will be able to more accurately assess the costs and risks associated to it. Humans are just pretty bad on average at dealing with low-odds but high-damage risks. We can't really get around that as game designers so we are going to work with it instead. Since Ada/Armada gear are still the premier modular base gear in the game, they retain their value as the premier BvB gear. I don't believe I used the word "convenience" here at all.

Quote:
how is it particularly more useful in BvB when cheaper than the Ada gear I can just make more ada kits that come with gear that is very nearly as strong as ada gear

As I've recapped above, if you wish to use the inbuilt gear in your kits instead of Ada/Armada gear, I have no problem with that approach. I will however point out that for those of you who were talking up the value of a few % in the endgame, you still can't beat Ada/Armada gear for BvB. Again though, I'm not telling you how to play the game. If it makes more sense at your wealth and base slot levels to spam BvB kits, that is OK with me.

Quote:
Oh and tell me how you haven't been misinterpreting things intentionally? You said tanking and survivability doesn't noticably factor into BvB which is just about the most ridiculous damn thing I have ever heard, considering BvB lasts hours and is usually a game of keeping your tank alive and in front of mags

I don't know how to make it any clearer than I have done above, so please take a look through what I've written if you would like to know my answer to this question. Tanking and survivability are VERY important in BvB. If you think that is what I'm saying, you are not understanding my argument.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:18 pm

anilv wrote:
KonanCruss2 wrote:
Paying for 8-9% more stats is something fabricated by devs, since that is how you want to have the game it seems. That is what Adamantium/Armada gear has become thanks to this update.

That is correct. We want Ada/Armada gear to be a convenience item and particularly useful in BvB. I understand that this is not a welcome change to some players who have stockpiled tons of that gear. That is the one criticism that's been raised in this thread that I am quite on board with.

Other than that though, I generally just completely disagree with all your points... If Ada gear is only a few percentage points above Anni X, then yes I can kill it with now Vanilla kits. Because I can just bring more kits and get more DPS for less input resources.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:29 pm
over 9000!

Misspoke. I've been writing an awful lot of words in this thread, you know. Let me rephrase my statement.

We want Ada/Armada gear to be an elite item and particularly useful in BvB.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:32 pm
over 9000!

ShawnMcCall wrote:
Other than that though, I generally just completely disagree with all your points... If Ada gear is only a few percentage points above Anni X, then yes I can kill it with now Vanilla kits. Because I can just bring more kits and get more DPS for less input resources.

Can you clarify your statement? I don't understand if you are referring to using Anni X gear as the attacker in BvB, or attacking a galaxy that is using Anni X gear instead of Ada/Armada for defense.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:33 pm

anilv wrote:
Misspoke. I've been writing an awful lot of words in this thread, you know. Let me rephrase my statement.

We want Ada/Armada gear to be an elite item and particularly useful in BvB.

If it is an elite item, then why is starter gear giving it a run for its money? You say it doesn't, but now with all the stuff that comes standard on kits, I can just make 3-4 more kits instead of making one set of ada gear. across the 15 odd sets of ada gear that I have, and 1500 ada, it does turn BvB into purely a game of outnumbering the competition.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:36 pm

anilv wrote:
ShawnMcCall wrote:

Can you clarify your statement? I don't understand if you are referring to using Anni X gear as the attacker in BvB, or attacking a galaxy that is using Anni X gear instead of Ada/Armada for defense.

Specifically referring to the new viability of attacking ada with anni x.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:37 pm

I will say this though, limiting base slots for attackers would do a lot to help balance this, because as it stands ada basically becomes useless for defense, because now if you run full ada sets, I can count your kits and +1 or +2 them with anni x and kill your shit. Limit attackers to 5 or 6 base slots and maybe this change is viable. But with unlimited slots, it is just a clusterfuck.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:39 pm
over 9000!

ShawnMcCall wrote:
If it is an elite item, then why is starter gear giving it a run for its money?

As someone else said in this thread, elite gear means a few extra % for a lot more money. That's how itemization works in these games.

ShawnMcCall wrote:
it does turn BvB into purely a game of outnumbering the competition.

I don't agree at all. I've done my fair share of BvB and it has never come down to a sheer game of numbers. Even when we did 30 v 15 against EF it was hard going and we had to know exactly what we were doing, with what kits, and when. Inferior strategy could have easily wiped on that gal, even with 40 kits. I will say that it can depend on your opponent, though. If you are both just magging each other till someone says "uncle," maybe it does reduce to who has more kits. I don't think that accurately represents all BvB has to offer, though.

ShawnMcCall wrote:
If Ada gear is only a few percentage points above Anni X, then yes I can kill it with now Vanilla kits. Because I can just bring more kits and get more DPS for less input resources.

As I have been saying, Ada/Armada is now being stylized as the elite modular BvB gear. I don't expect people to use it for defense of their galaxies much anymore, for the reasons you have stated.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:50 pm
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4888

ShawnMcCall wrote:
anilv wrote:
KonanCruss2 wrote:

But ada geared kits have always been killable by non ada geared kits... if you can break through their healing. There was nothing super uber special about Adamantium gear DPS... Wtf?

You could always kill Adamantium geared kits with Vanilla geared kits... O_o The only thing vastly more powerful about the Ada kits was the augmenter slots and the defensive gear... and its the exact same in this current system.

The only things that contributes to you killing a kit is how much damage you can pump into it and how much galaxy healing you can remove... Like, look at the Tech 20 vanilla weapons vs the Tech 20 Adamantium weapons. People weren't using Adamantium weapons to kill kits, so this change does nothing to the offensive potential of Vanilla geared Adamantium kits. Vanilla geared Adamantium kits can, at this very moment, be used to blow up Adamantium geared Ada kits in the same way that Adamantium geared Ada kits can be used to blow those very same kits up. This base QoL change doesn't change any of that...

Also, if you're pelting the enemy bases with dozens of Mags in order to kill them... why not just slowly move your kits closer and annihilate them with close range destruction? In the little bit of BvB I participated in, Magging a galaxy to death is the most inefficient way to BvB.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:06 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next