Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Post Re: Server/Client Patch 09.13.2016
They won't need it when the api comes out :)

Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4888

ShawnMcCall wrote:
Jey123456 wrote:
ShawnMcCall wrote:

I feel like wiki items that we already have the stats for that get changed should be updated by the devs on the wiki prior to the change. After all isn't that why we killed TLA to begin with, so that the devs would have official control over the wiki?

no, we offered an officially hosted wiki so that it would not depend on anyone paying for the host. There was no guarantee that TLA would stay alive forever, but we can guarantee that wiki.starsonata.com will be up for as long as the game exist. This is why Simon had just about absolute power over the wiki as well.

Simon didn't create the wiki though. Arrowhate did. But still, what is the point in an official wiki if the devs don't even upload the changes they make? Because honestly, you think swabbies gear is going to get updated any time soon? So to that end the wiki exists to mislead new players and look unprofessional.

This is a perfect opportunity for you to update the stats Shawn.

Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:45 pm
Dev Team
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

ShawnMcCall wrote:
Simon didn't create the wiki though. Arrowhate did. But still, what is the point in an official wiki if the devs don't even upload the changes they make? Because honestly, you think swabbies gear is going to get updated any time soon? So to that end the wiki exists to mislead new players and look unprofessional.

Its a wiki not a database. We did not host it so that would be forced to update it, we could have updated TLA just the same. We host it so that its guaranteed to exist for as long as the game exist. If noone wants to update it theres nothing we can do about it. Were certainly not going to waste time manually updating a wiki everytime a stat change on an item, not to mention the implication of what items should be given and what should not.

If and only if we ever decide to make all items (or any subset of items) stats known well have a database style page for it. With all the items listed / searched whatever. It most certainly wont be by updating a text based wiki.

Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:18 pm
Main: The Shaft of Discipline
Level: 3680

I would prefer a text database dump. I'm annoyed at learning how to edit the various spreadsheet forms on the wiki, but I can live with it. What pisses me off to no end is how the dev team (or, any crafty player) can effectively hide stats and prevent people from raising a point about them, before they go and obtain the item. The track record of SS dev team has the developers tend to drag their feet when such imbalanced item is found, too, so imbalanced items can potentially stay imbalanced for a long time.

For example, Thermal made PPS. He included a large number of items that benefit MCers, his characters in particular. It was not that the playerbase was deliberately misled, but it was a minefield for people trying to figure out what would be worth building for their teammates. This was compounded by the fact certain items...while potentially worthwhile, were hideously expensive and people had cheaper alternatives they could get for minor reduction in power.

Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:46 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Jey123456 wrote:
ShawnMcCall wrote:

Its a wiki not a database. We did not host it so that would be forced to update it, we could have updated TLA just the same. We host it so that its guaranteed to exist for as long as the game exist. If noone wants to update it theres nothing we can do about it. Were certainly not going to waste time manually updating a wiki everytime a stat change on an item, not to mention the implication of what items should be given and what should not.

If and only if we ever decide to make all items (or any subset of items) stats known well have a database style page for it. With all the items listed / searched whatever. It most certainly wont be by updating a text based wiki.

TL;DR: We don't fix the problems we create.

Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:46 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

That's why WoW didn't take over WoWhead Jey. It looks unprofessional to take ownership of something and not develop it. I'm not saying add all the stats, I am saying if *you, the development team* change stats on obscure items that are already on the wiki then *you, the development team* should have 30 fucking seconds to fix the discrepancy that *you, the development team* just created.

Yes, players add *new item stats*, but if you're going to arbitrarily change the stats on shit then you should be updating it.

Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:49 pm
Main: The Shaft of Discipline
Level: 3680

Indeed. This is why I want the database dump. The devs change the stats, all that needs to be done is that the website reloads the database. This is how Brugle does it with his calculator and item database. I'm not looking for a fancy item box development like what Sunny has on the wiki. I just want the stats, and I'm more than willing to go cross eyed staring at a spreadsheet for them.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:45 am
Dev Team

ShawnMcCall wrote:
That's why WoW didn't take over WoWhead Jey. It looks unprofessional to take ownership of something and not develop it. I'm not saying add all the stats, I am saying if *you, the development team* change stats on obscure items that are already on the wiki then *you, the development team* should have 30 fucking seconds to fix the discrepancy that *you, the development team* just created.

Yes, players add *new item stats*, but if you're going to arbitrarily change the stats on shit then you should be updating it.

so youd rather we just drop wiki.starsonata.com and let someone else pay for it ? The end result would be the same except you'd lose the guarantee that the wiki would exist at all.

Pontius123 wrote:
Indeed. This is why I want the database dump. The devs change the stats, all that needs to be done is that the website reloads the database. This is how Brugle does it with his calculator and item database. I'm not looking for a fancy item box development like what Sunny has on the wiki. I just want the stats, and I'm more than willing to go cross eyed staring at a spreadsheet for them.

the problem is that there is no such database dump. There is no way for us currently to dump a list of items that are ok for players to know, without also dumping a lot of items you are not supposed to know about (stuff in development, ai only items, stuff that was abandoned, new still secret items etc). Nor is there any way for us to create a simple to work with "list" of exactly what stat changed on what item. We can go through the svn and manually check every single xml change, but thats much more than 30 seconds, its closer to the hours range.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:42 am
Main: Helius
Level: 3033

Why should not we know about stuff who are under development?

Any current or under deveplopment game content should be shared with players.

This would benefit this game in many ways.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:01 am
Dev Team

because as far as im concerned, part of the fun in a game is to discover. I cant do anything about players spoiling content that they found. But i most certainly wont spoil it on content that isnt even out or provide inside info on exactly how boss works / their stats etc.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:03 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

chronos wrote:

Do you know any commercially successful game in the entire market that has complete transparency of all content dev documents? Pause and think for a second about why that isn't a thing.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:08 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

anilv wrote:
chronos wrote:

Do you know any commercially successful game in the entire market that has complete transparency of all content dev documents? Pause and think for a second about why that isn't a thing.

Not complete transparency on boss mechanics and stuff but lots of games have "Armourys" or something similar that tells you all the gear that is in game or even gear that will be in game in the future. It gives players something to grind for, gives them a exact vision of what they want their character to look like. I myself like going through game armourys and making builds that way, if you're a player that enjoys the discovery and figuring things out for yourself then just stay out of the wiki or armoury.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:00 am
over 9000!

The way we have it set up currently, player-obtainable items are mixed in with AI-only items including the ship hulls of bosses. Right off the top of my head, this means that if we made all those stats available, you would know immediately which damage type to use against each boss. You would also know stuff like which damage types the boss is going to use against you, and so on. I'm sure there are a lot of other reasons why we can't just release the stats of all the items in game.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:19 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

I mean it can't be that hard to manually exclude ago ai only stuff can it? Either way i don't think it's such a huge deal that players will know what damage type to bring and vollies just saves time in my opinion. And if you're that player that enjoys going in blind then by all means don't read wiki or whatever.

Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:26 pm
over 9000!

redalert150 wrote:
I mean it can't be that hard to manually exclude ago ai only stuff can it? Either way i don't think it's such a huge deal that players will know what damage type to bring and vollies just saves time in my opinion. And if you're that player that enjoys going in blind then by all means don't read wiki or whatever.

Think of it from our perspective. What are we gaining by doing this when we could be spending our time on something else?

Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:51 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next