Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Post Re: Weekly Dev Blog - 9th November
NattoKilla wrote:
DarkSteel wrote:
Okay, I'll add them both. Hopefully it doesn't confuse newer players..

Do you guys want both options for the base thrusters and galaxy bound drones as well?

You mean things like Platform drones? If so I'll be in favour of it.

To offer my perspective as a returning player one of the issues I'm experiencing is lack of hull space on my bases (I don't know why I feel like base items take a shit ton more commods than they used too) due to lack of any pre-prepped items (Expansions, etc), not that this is an issue, just a matter of time... although I haven't used IC's to comment on that condensing commods seems OK to me.

Yes like platform drones.
Bases actually got their start-out hull drastically increased this universe. You should have a much easier time outfitting your bases without needing any extensors.
As for commods taking up a lot of hullspace, ICs compress raw commods by 100-1000 times so try that out :)

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:40 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

I will say that making things require compressed materials (ICs) primarily benefits newer/lower end players because they don't have the capability to haul and store huge loads of resources over time. You're not going to hear from a huge part of the base building community that would benefit massively, you're going to hear from the part of the community that either doesn't benefit or see's it as a hassle because they're used to the way things are.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:01 pm
Main: Almighty Pixel
Level: 4

Issues will be for lower players, that they can't bot the IC commodities around cause they wont know how to without thinking a freighter or transport bulk trader is the best solution. Also given that low level engines don't go well with IC.

This will also force a payment barrier through buying extractors which are huge to begin with for the low level to be able to purchase all three of them and then on top provide enough rations for workers to make those factories work.

Time waiting barrier on conversion of materials & even more cost.

No information given how they get these factories for new players unlike how metal extractors and etc are available on all AI bases.

When did hull space became a issue for bases? that's just a void thing to say about lack of hull-space storage and is irrelevant? big demands on blueprints are normally periodic and not all at once.

I see this whole thing as a huge step backwards. I'm in favor of not touching low level content with IC and downright avoid it on any defensive builds. In-fact IC has become an hindrance that adds another level of complication that's not simply needed on everything. I got this view after dealing with building Adimixium as now i have spare IC commodities I cannot store for next universe and can't sell as I've made too many. Really thought IC was to make the game easier (handling, sorting stuff) but no it complicates the crap outta what would be simple builds, so sad this has happened. :(

Stick to the plan of IC and only put it on end game content that's not mandatory for the player to use like Annihilator Platforms. Any duplication of work for IC shows that this is doing something wrong.

This post is of course focused around using IC and just my view point on it atm. Will attempt to try and improve the constraints of the system in the background.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:49 pm
Main: Chrono Warrior
Level: 5817

Pixel wrote:
Issues will be for lower players, that they can't bot the IC commodities around cause they wont know how to without thinking a freighter or transport bulk trader is the best solution. Also given that low level engines don't go well with IC.

This will also force a payment barrier through buying extractors which are huge to begin with for the low level to be able to purchase all three of them and then on top provide enough rations for workers to make those factories work.

Time waiting barrier on conversion of materials & even more cost.

No information given how they get these factories for new players unlike how metal extractors and etc are available on all AI bases.

When did hull space became a issue for bases? that's just a void thing to say about lack of hull-space storage and is irrelevant? big demands on blueprints are normally periodic and not all at once.

I see this whole thing as a huge step backwards. I'm in favor of not touching low level content with IC and downright avoid it on any defensive builds. In-fact IC has become an hindrance that adds another level of complication that's not simply needed on everything. I got this view after dealing with building Adimixium as now i have spare IC commodities I cannot store for next universe and can't sell as I've made too many. Really thought IC was to make the game easier (handling, sorting stuff) but no it complicates the crap outta what would be simple builds, so sad this has happened. :(

Stick to the plan of IC and only put it on end game content that's not mandatory for the player to use like Annihilator Platforms. Any duplication of work for IC shows that this is doing something wrong.

This post is of course focused around using IC and just my view point on it atm. Will attempt to try and improve the constraints of the system in the background.

Completely agree, the IC system is a good concept, but it needs significant fine tuning before they start slapping it on everything as a requirement.

Even though IC's condense commods, and that can be seen as a good thing, their weight counters that, making it hard for lower level players to move them (As Pixel pointed out). Furthermore, the way they were implemented, via Factory, makes it extremely tedious, and, in my opinion, it would be much better if ICs were made via blueprints. Having it be constructed via blueprint would make things much simpler and would prevent factories from devouring commods that you don't want them to use (Yes, I am aware that if you setup your trade bay/make max properly you can avoid these issues. The problem is, however, that not many newer and/or mid-game players will know this and will be able to utilize it properly.)

All in all, I think you should either fix the factory system and make it better, as has been suggested before, OR make ICs buildable via blueprints. Better yet, perhaps you can make it buildable via blueprint AND factory, allowing for multiple options.

No TL;DR because you need to read it for yourself for once. <3

- Chrono

Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:27 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

I could be convinced to reduce the weight on ICs. Any suggestions on revisions on that front?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:18 pm
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Masterful
Level: 6877

How difficult would it be to implement a system where all blueprints take raw commods, although if there isn't enough of a raw commod for the base to resume construction, it checks for ICs and then considers them as however many they're worth. Alternatively ICs can be given priority over raw commods.

That way you can essentially "upgrade" a production base/galaxy's efficiency by converting to ICs, but you need to have the resources to do that.

It also means newer players can build stuff normally beyond them by buying IC commods from AI bases. So higher end players build ICs, sell to AI bases, AI bases sell to newer/lower level players = a legitimate trickle down effect.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:33 pm
over 9000!

Masterful wrote:
How difficult would it be to implement a system where all blueprints take raw commods, although if there isn't enough of a raw commod for the base to resume construction, it checks for ICs and then considers them as however many they're worth. Alternatively ICs can be given priority over raw commods.

That way you can essentially "upgrade" a production base/galaxy's efficiency by converting to ICs, but you need to have the resources to do that.

It also means newer players can build stuff normally beyond them by buying IC commods from AI bases. So higher end players build ICs, sell to AI bases, AI bases sell to newer/lower level players = a legitimate trickle down effect.

That's a cool compromise idea. I think it'd be best to prioritize IC's in consuming materials for a build.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:06 pm
Team: Traders
Main: ZGMF
Level: 5980

DarkSteel wrote:
Okay, I'll add them both. Hopefully it doesn't confuse newer players..

Do you guys want both options for the base thrusters and galaxy bound drones as well?

well you can always emphasise that this stuff can be alternative to this. and tell them IC are for like end game players and normal one is for new builder friendly.

Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:48 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

anilv wrote:
I could be convinced to reduce the weight on ICs. Any suggestions on revisions on that front?

The combined weight of the comodities used would be my preferance, though I am willing to accept 10x that. If an IC uses 500 of an item with weight 1, it weighing 500 only makes sence, though 5000 if balance issues are truely feared is workable.

Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:04 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

That makes the best possible way to transport IC commodities be in large quantities though.

Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:04 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

MasterTrader wrote:
That makes the best possible way to transport IC commodities be in large quantities though.

Ok, I am going to suspend my kneejerk snark as you spent lunch getting covered in salty sh!t. The reason people want to use the regular commodities instead of the IC's is that it is easier to move a thatch with 1 million metals then a levi with 1000 steel girders. Not being able to move them in bulk is the reason no one wants to use them.

With things how they are right now, I would proboly move my IC factories from base to base and reroute my trade bots accordingly rather then hual the comodities around.

Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:37 pm
Main: The Shaft of Discipline
Level: 3680

MasterTrader wrote:

2.5b+ metals moved in one trip.

Quantum Brake + Merchant Navy Contriver

Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:44 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

I actually like the fact that IC are so heavy. They are very profitable and tough to haul in bulk, which is perfectly fine. What is annoying is that they seem to be becoming the new commod for every single build. Just adding another tedious step to production for no reason really.

Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:54 pm
over 9000!

redalert150 wrote:
I actually like the fact that IC are so heavy. They are very profitable and tough to haul in bulk, which is perfectly fine. What is annoying is that they seem to be becoming the new commod for every single build. Just adding another tedious step to production for no reason really.

I don't understand where the tedium comes in. Your prod can effortlessly produce ICs of all varieties.

Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:50 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

It's just the fact of a extra step added to a process that use to be pretty linear.

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:04 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next