Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Should we have team levels for PvP?
Poll ended at Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:28 pm
Yes 46%  46%  [ 22 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 17 ]
Don't know 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
Some other idea (specify) 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 48

Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Post Team PvP levels
An idea was proposed a while ago that every player on a team would have their PvP ranges determined by their team level rather than their own level, where the team level is equal to the highest level person on that team. So If you're level 100 and join a team with a level 500 on it, your attack range would then be 500 +/- the range based on where you are.

The advantage of this is that all players on a team would be able to fight together and defend each other against other teams. The disadvantage is that lower level players can open themselves up to attack by higher players by joining a team. A "feature" is that people won't be able to have low level alts on their same team and still get the benefit of being artificially low.

In essense this will probably yield nearly full on and unrestricted PvP between the higher teams and more advanced players who join those teams, while leaving protection in place for lower teams and players not joining teams. This might not be a bad thing.

Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Team: MAD+
Main: Progenitor
Level: 1105

I'm going to vote yes because it would enable me to attack more people. I love PvP :D

EDIT: Also this will promote better teamwork.

Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:33 pm
Main: Lt.Nelson+
Level: 5

I've got mixed feeling on it. I don't like it because it would cause grief for low level players. On the other hand the problem with stations owned by alts needs to be addressed. A while back it was proposed that stations have a level based on the gear inside rather than the level of the owner. What happened with that? But then that would be a pain in the ass to figure out how aggro works and all.

A possible alternative for the Team Level would be that it would only go into effect during mutual aggresion (War Mongering).

Some problems I could see with this suggestion would be a team like the Pwners haveing a level 100 on the team just so that their PvP range is higher. Regardless of what people thought, we got more enjoyment from podding level 100+ players than from killing noobs.

Another problem would be if a genuine low level player (not an alt) joined a high level team. They would, in many cases, be open to attack from much higher players than themselves. Perhaps there could be an option that lets you choose to use your level to determine your range, or the team's level to determine your range, with any changes taking 12 hours to go into effect. In addition to this, if player level is used to determine the PvP range, make it be determined not by that character's level, but by the level of the highest level character on your account. This would do away with the problem of alt bases.

Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:44 pm
Profile YIM
Team: Tutela ut Nemesis
Main: Evan W
Level: 1053

I can see problems with it, but it would definately be better than what we have now. atm I just attacked a galaxy last night and only 1 base and some drones shot at me. I didn't kill anything that time because I didn't feel like it.
Well something came up and I decided to go back today and kill the galaxy, but all bases are now outta my pvp range so I was only able to kill a few drones. it was sad that the bases could only heal the drones and didn't fire on me. I probably would have gotten pwned.

Evan

Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:59 pm
Team: Infinate Dreams
Main: Desert Rat
Level: 652

If you do that you basically declare open pvp, also just because you have a high level doeesnt mean you have particularly high PvP skills and visa versa.

I say leave the current system as It is I dont see any real problems with it atm.

Or at least make the PvP level an average level,

Really though if you start splitting people levels from their actual level its asking to be abused.

~ferret

Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:17 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: Tank
Level: 3703

I voted yes i think it should atleast be tried and if there are major problems there will be another poll to change it back or not.

Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:37 am
Profile YIM

Except most of my team are low-mid levels and I'm twice the level of all of them, which means anyone of them cna be attacked by soemone my level, that doesnt seem fair and will just make people leave.

Atm people can PvP withing their level which is fair, moving that level either side of their actual level makes it unfair on somebody, w3 areas most people can PvP as much as they like, thats how it should stay.

~ferret

Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:42 am
Main: Voom
Level: 1935

The only problem with this system is the asshole players that will abuse it. It should however be a bannable offence to kill a low level player over and over, even though you can.

I would like to see a rule saying that it's ok to kill someone once, if that person wants to escape from the battle when he enters his ship he should be allowed to.

I voted yes.

Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:51 am
Main: Carlos the mackerel
Level: 1492

I voted some other idea, although it's more of a qualified 'yes'.
Despite being an almost 100% non-pvp player I do want pvp opened up but I think this system is unnecessarily complex, and potentially asymmetrical.

Suppose A (lvl 50) is on a team with a pvp range of 200, and B (level 300) is on a bigger team with pvp range 600... in theory B should be able to attack A, although A should be unable to attack B...

Bleh, nevermind that for almost all med-large teams this would amount to an almost complete opening up of pvp anyway, which I'm in favour of, however there should be a way to exclude yourself from it:

For a start if you do not own any bases or permanent drones you should have the option to set yourself as entirely non-pvp, so that the safety lock prevented you from shooting at, or healing, any players, slaves, player drones, or bases. This would be necessary to let people play in peace if they do not have any interest in pvp. However all base-builders should have to take pvb risks into account. To prevent abuse the toggle for this would either need to be on a timer (24 hours, 10 levels... something along those lines), or possibly just located in Earth Central.

Secondly non-p2p (or possibly just sub-level 15) should be automatically set to non-pvp.

Thirdly to avoid griefing and chain podding, when in spirit there should be some form of escape option... not sure what would work, I'm not a fan of the idea of brief invulnerability/inability to shoot on entering your ship, perhaps an option for spirits to teleport to the nearest towing station, or a mini tow which shifts the ship to a warp...

Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:09 am
Main: Voom
Level: 1935

I like Carlos idea. The ability to set yourself as non-pvp would most likely be very appreciated and some way of avoiding griefing/chain podding is pretty much needed.

Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:26 am

The problem is noob player A annoys high level player B so much that he can wipe out the entire team, which is how it was last time...

At least the old way offered some protection.

Not to mention if Player B can now attack player A whenever he likes he's no longer receiving protection from his higher team mates bases either....

I think once the admins get the 3 situations, PvP,PvE,PvB seperated into proper individual sections you could work something out that allows bases to protect and cause agro, without the individual being effected.

But I can safely say that if we had Highest Level = Team Level I'd have to leave my own team.

~ferret

Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:45 am
Main: Pear
Level: 5670

Option A : Your team has a variety of different PvP ranges

or

Option B : Your team all has 1 PvP range based on team lvl

maybe even

Option C : the player decides wether he takes part in team pvp or not

Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:21 am
Main: Tank
Level: 3703

how about we go to the old pvp system. It was a bad system but it was better then the others :lol:

Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:28 am
Profile YIM
Team: Silver Guardians
Main: R.S.S. Wasp
Level: 4683

The only problem with this system is the asshole players that will abuse it. It should however be a bannable offence to kill a low level player over and over, even though you can.

I would like to see a rule saying that it's ok to kill someone once, if that person wants to escape from the battle when he enters his ship he should be allowed to.

I voted yes.
That'd be sweet ^^

https://sect.news/

Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:11 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next