Main: Fragmaster2
Level: 379

Post Mac/Wine total graphical breakdown
Hello,

I just installed SS2 using the instructions on the website for Mac with Wine, as I'm currently away from my home Windows PC with only my MacBook to play on.

Unfortunately, regardless of the graphics settings selected at startup, the game's graphics invariably glitch out entirely after but a few moments of playing. Resizing the window or setting to full screen or non-full screen resolve the game back to normal graphics functioning, but only for a few moments. Screenshot is attached of just what I mean by 'graphical breakdown'. Wine reports no errors and game functions while the graphics are like this, but of course it's unplayable. This happens on all resolutions I've tried.

As you can see, the game appears to be being split into four 'screens' on the display, none of which display correctly.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:15 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Mac/Wine total graphical breakdown
Hi, could you please post what Macbook exactly you are using? Or if you are familiar with these things, does your Macbook have a discrete graphics cards or just the Intel one?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:31 am

anilv wrote:
Hi, could you please post what Macbook exactly you are using? Or if you are familiar with these things, does your Macbook have a discrete graphics cards or just the Intel one?

It's a 13-inch 2014 MacBook Air, 256GB solid state drive, 4GB RAM, 1GB integrated graphics on the Intel chip.

The performance and appearance is just fine for the 2-10 seconds before this happens, incidentally, even on high settings.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:33 am
over 9000!

I think this will be a job for Jey. Basically, there have been a lot of problems getting SS to run on Intel graphics cards. I know the new ones are supposed to be miles better, but they're still pretty bad compared to NVIDIA / AMD.

There are some less likely possibilities as well, such as not having updated drivers (super unlikely for a Mac) or having a bad wine install.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:45 am
Dev Team
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

ive seen that problem a few times, and in all cases it was an intel hd 4000.

Sadly, on a mac unless apple updated the driver and you did not update your os yet (try updating) there is very little you can do about it.

Its an issue with the incredibly low quality driver intel provide for unix kernel (linux and mac)

on linux a newer and corrected driver is available in a somewhat recent kernel (ubuntu 14 should have it, but 12 doesnt).

Unfortunately, there is no documented data as on what is and is not implemented by the driver, and the issue you see could be caused by just about everything gpu memory related. So its pretty much impossible for me to somehow write a fix around it either.

I do have a test machine here with that exact gpu and attempted a few times to track it down, but to no avail. At best when removing everything (only rendering a rectangle in the middle of the screen), i ended up with corruption after a minute.

Those gpu just ain't made for gaming, especially not with the kind of trickery wine do to get d3d working on opengl. They have a tendency to claim supporting feature in their driver (so code automatically use the feature), but then do not actually support it or hack around it, which in turn cause issue on other systems until... hell break lose.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:05 am

Jey123456 wrote:
ive seen that problem a few times, and in all cases it was an intel hd 4000.

Sadly, on a mac unless apple updated the driver and you did not update your os yet (try updating) there is very little you can do about it.

Its an issue with the incredibly low quality driver intel provide for unix kernel (linux and mac)

on linux a newer and corrected driver is available in a somewhat recent kernel (ubuntu 14 should have it, but 12 doesnt).

Unfortunately, there is no documented data as on what is and is not implemented by the driver, and the issue you see could be caused by just about everything gpu memory related. So its pretty much impossible for me to somehow write a fix around it either.

I do have a test machine here with that exact gpu and attempted a few times to track it down, but to no avail. At best when removing everything (only rendering a rectangle in the middle of the screen), i ended up with corruption after a minute.

Those gpu just ain't made for gaming, especially not with the kind of trickery wine do to get d3d working on opengl. They have a tendency to claim supporting feature in their driver (so code automatically use the feature), but then do not actually support it or hack around it, which in turn cause issue on other systems until... hell break lose.

Ok, thanks for the information.

Given that this error manifested only after I had to re-subscribe in order to gain access to my account (as log-in to the game was impossible until afterwards, and so this is when this glitch manifests) would it be reasonable to submit a ticket asking for my subscription time be 'de-activated' until May 16th when I get back from India and am able to access and play SS on my PC?

I'm conscious that I now have a good half of the month's subscription that I simply can't use, so if it could be 'de-activated' until that date so that I can't login and my sub time doesn't count down, it would seem fair to both sides.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:10 am
over 9000!

Worth a try. I suspect the easiest way to do that would be to ban your account until an agreed-upon date but also add that many days of sub to it manually. Did you subscribe on or around June 2?

Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:08 am

anilv wrote:
Worth a try. I suspect the easiest way to do that would be to ban your account until an agreed-upon date but also add that many days of sub to it manually. Did you subscribe on or around June 2?

On June 2nd, same day as I posted this thread and also sent a bug report ticket, so the bug itself is on the system with timestamp for proof. Just seems fair that the subscription - at least what remains of it, anyway - could be 'postponed' until I have access to a SS-capable PC again, as this is an issue without any warning on the installation instructions and the actual bug doesn't occur until after login, to which I had to re-subscribe to do.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:07 pm
over 9000!

Well, give it a try. I'm just saying that I have never heard of them putting a sub on hold, but I know they can manually add days to a subscription.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:24 pm
Dev Team
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

Fragmaster wrote:
anilv wrote:

On June 2nd, same day as I posted this thread and also sent a bug report ticket, so the bug itself is on the system with timestamp for proof. Just seems fair that the subscription - at least what remains of it, anyway - could be 'postponed' until I have access to a SS-capable PC again, as this is an issue without any warning on the installation instructions and the actual bug doesn't occur until after login, to which I had to re-subscribe to do.

Honestly i do not see much of a problem in removing and readding the subscription. But I am not the one who make those decisions, so ticket is indeed your best bet.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:06 pm
Main: lights out
Level: 66

lol i used to play on a intigrated G34 intel chipset family, from one of the 2007 models

and it ran the game with no lag, so it's probably a mac problem with wine, not unusual though, i wish SS would stop saying it runs on mac and linux when they don't support it locally

Bigger asshole than Wizard, The Voomy One, Blake/Pimp, Fruits, Shadowblade, Enkelin, Tobal, Hitler and O.J. Simpson combined

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:07 pm