Team: Zephyr
Main: Zaehlas
Level: 2946

Post New Client crash
I just tried the new client on 22DEC, and it totally failed to load. A delay, followed fly flashing randomized UI pieces (part of the ship screen, then parts of the character loading screen, and so on).

Before going into any full rant, I completely removed by old SS install, reset all my Wine settings to default (changed back to windows 7 for the default, removed the old SS1 dinput.dll bug, etc).

The old SS2 log files (before I wiped it out) showed tons and tons of missing textures and other stuff constantly. i'm hoping that the fresh install, those won't happen anymmore.

Started a brand new install from scratch, and we'll see how it goes. Just starting this thread in case someone has a sugggestion. I'm hoping a fresh install with default Wine settings will fix it, in that cash I'll reply here if there's no issues, and new client is playable.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:47 am

Post Re: New Client crash
Well, not what I was expecting... The new install graphics select screen came up. nothing is clickable. Two buttons on bottom, but only Cancel is able to be clicked on, although clicking does nothing.

It's like a screenshot of the window came up. Keyboard commands didn't work.

While typing this post, some timout occured, and SS is trying to come up, but nothing but a black screen right now.

Will try reenabling the dinput.dll and see if that fixes clicking and stuff.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:54 am

Got the screen to load... but did something really weird. I could see the character login screen for a brief moment, but when switching my desktop or window to it the login screen disappeared, all the stars rocketed to the lower left corner, and I was left with a blank starfield. It's exactly as though the "focus" of the window moved to the upper right, beyond the character select screen, and showed me just a blank starfield. This happened every time I switched to the window.

I got it closed, and changed the dinput settings. If that doesn't work, I'll try reverting to older windows versions again.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:02 am

No luck. Tried almost every tweak I can think of inside Wine. The graphics window select screen has no elements that are clickable except the two buttons on the bottom (the unlabelled one that is apparently "OK" and "Cancel)

One I try to load the game, i get a login screen, then it zooms away, and I look at a starfield.

Client completely unplayable for me. I have 3 subscription accounts which I have been diligent and never letting them unsub.

I am NOT happy right now.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:30 am

I got my gaming PC up and running (I had been procrastinating because my laptop worked just fine), and IT doesn't work either.

Using Radeon instead of Nvidia, meh, but it's still far beefier than my laptop.

I even got desperate and switched my laptop over to the Windows 7 install I keep on there and never use, and I couldn't get it to run on that either.

2 days now, can't even jump in for a few minutes to check my stuff. And I actually have free time, since I'm off work for Christmas.

Someone please help?

Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:17 pm
Team: Death Mental
Main: goett
Level: 2156

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=49540

Might fix it as I couldn't open 1 client til I figured this out.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:30 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Chemo
Level: 3621

You DO realize all your post have an "Edit" option right?

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW

No successful logins yet. With any updates I've tried to download, no changes.

And I refuse to edit any prior posts, because I want someone to realize that I

FUCKING WANT SOME FUCKING HELP HERE

I am now offline for almost a month. I have (had?) 3 paid subs... for YEARS. Even during times I couldn't physically play. I've never complained prior to now.

I'm about done.

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:21 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Let me get this straight: you tried running it on a Windows 7 partition and it still didn't work? Something is really funky then. I can understand getting limited help with your wine issues, but not this.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:43 am
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

It worked prior to Dec 22?

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:08 am
Profile WWW
Dev Team
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

I can confirm it not working on Wine, ill see what i can do about that, but wine is not officialy supported by us, so i most certainly wont rush a patch for it (i will however try to have fixed for the patch after the next one).

Now as for the issue at hand. The windows 7 laptop, What was the behavior on there ? Its the first time i hear of c2 not working on win7 (other than being too laggy to work) in quite some time, i tought we had all those issues fixed.

Any detailed info on whatever problem your having on the laptopt with c2 ? What are the laptop specs ? especially, cpu, ram and graphic card.

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:44 am
Team: Triple Alliance
Main: Biggee
Level: 3017

Updated directx, graphics drivers, .net framework 4 (?, jey says this is unnecessary, but you should keep it up to date anyways). If you're still having trouble, clean install then send the .dmp off to the analyzers.

Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:22 pm
Team: Ace Corp
Main: DrunkenDriver
Level: 1605

Jey123456 wrote:
I can confirm it not working on Wine, ill see what i can do about that, but wine is not officialy supported by us, so i most certainly wont rush a patch for it (i will however try to have fixed for the patch after the next one).

Wine do work! Check the time and date on this screen ;) .

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:01 pm

I rarely run Windows on my laptop, but I can try doing another update to drivers, DirectX, etc. I put in the bug report that I have a huge dump on the hardware information, but not generated by the Windows side of my laptop.

The problems i had on the Windows side was that it would not accept any password as valid. Where the Linux sides of every computer I have crashes on graphics, the graphics seem to run fine under Windows, but the password box didn't accept anything.

I double, triple, and quadruple checked, including using a packet sniffer on my server to make sure that I don't have a keylogger or virus. The password box was mangling the password.

Support ticket with all the info noted above is Z5YR86GPB1

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:31 pm
Team: Triple Alliance
Main: Biggee
Level: 3017

Zaehlas wrote:
I rarely run Windows on my laptop, but I can try doing another update to drivers, DirectX, etc. I put in the bug report that I have a huge dump on the hardware information, but not generated by the Windows side of my laptop.

The problems i had on the Windows side was that it would not accept any password as valid. Where the Linux sides of every computer I have crashes on graphics, the graphics seem to run fine under Windows, but the password box didn't accept anything.

I double, triple, and quadruple checked, including using a packet sniffer on my server to make sure that I don't have a keylogger or virus. The password box was mangling the password.

Support ticket with all the info noted above is Z5YR86GPB1

Un-check the remember my password box, restart client and try again.

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:15 pm