Team: Traders League
Main: Eddie
Level: 1001

Post Network-Latency or LAG and How To Fix It!
V-High Activity vs Lesser Setup and Connection related LAG and How to Fix it!

The lag alot of us experience when visiting places of ultra high activity like Free Market or the Ring, or doing Oly runs or sizable squads doing DG's and things, results in a situation where we're sitting there "sucking data (250kbps+!)" and not getting a responce from Server, and the Framing is having trouble progressing, which can last as much as a few minutes!

The way to get around this is re-log, resulting in an "imediate" recognition from Server based on what you wanted to do, like Jump out of FM, or Dock with that base in Ring, or undock, or Make that Purchase etc. So you find yourself using the re-log method when ever you suffer such "network-latency".

The SOLUTION to this, and to assist all those people with low bandwith global-connectivity, and older less capable CPU's per second, is to Code the way Client and Server interact per second relating to all that "Activity/Server-Activity for where you are"!

The problem is that Server is sending more data about more objects than your connection, or even Computer itself, cant handle and doesnt recieve. So consequently Client needs a way to interact with Server, so things can "Catch Up".

Initially I thought this problem a tad difficult, then I realised it isnt that hard, and could result in server doing much less actuall total player bandwidth communications per second, and so is client for the users budget, using one basic principle!

Client needs to get the "First Frame" of Data from Server, Server then needs to WAIT for Client to suggest that its "Finished ALL THAT Frame Data, and is Now at THIS TIMESTAMP for Gameplay!"! Then Server needs to go "Ok, then, Hmm, that would mean, by that timestamp that your (Clients) next frame of ALL THAT OBJECT DATA should Include all This :........" and starts sendting that only! And so on and so on, obviously with Clients User Input Data inside that "im at this timestamp" requisition!

The result of this would be less frams a second for the User, but the related responces from server would be quasi imediate, and result in much less waiting and data spend getting through fm, and less stress as you can do things as quickly as anywhere else, except that on your Duron 1GHz with AGP Nvidia, you only got 5fps of SS gameplay, due your really old 256k modem card!!!

Do you see what I'm suggesting - this could be a miracle for all those older less technological internet infrustructure users, and also more importantly, result in significantly less Server Upload/Communications COSTS!

This method is an Old-School Pro's manner of Logical Programming, and is designed to relate to end-user experience, and how to master a fluid sence of game play, and server interaction, thus sporting efficiency for the user, and the staff managing the Server!

That should solve the bloody fm/ring dg/oly fucking squad lag etc shouldnt it?

That should mean a cheaper sub shouldnt it, because of all that less server activity expences?!

Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:20 am
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Brugle
Level: 4111

Post Re: Network-Latency or LAG and How To Fix It!
Wouldn't that require TCP/IP or at least a delivery confirmation in the UDP protocol. I think that would lead to sever client input lag. So it might perform a little better in a intense situation, but be horrible in all other situations.

This is definitely not something I'm an expert in, but I have read quite a few articles on the subject, and I'm confident this is thoroughly thought through by a lot of smart people. So in that regards I believe the system which is used in online games, are quite standardized for a reason.

Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:02 am
Main: king kone
Level: 37

If I wanted to avoid getting five frames in every day DGs, I would buy a computer that didn't date back to Windows 2000 like the one you use, Lazerus.

Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:08 am
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Brugle
Level: 4111

Just out of curiosity, where are you located where 250kbps is considered too much. It is basically nothing?

I would guess it is more of a latency or connection quality (dropped packages) issue.

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:46 am

He lives in Australia/New Zealand, uses a computer that only can run Windows 2000, uses a graphics card dated to 2002, and has under 1 gb RAM. And that is what he calls a "high end gaming rig".

Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:09 am
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

OS doesn't mean shit,, but yeah thats terrible :P

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:17 pm

heylo wrote:
OS doesn't mean shit,, but yeah thats terrible :P

It is terrible, for the reason he is probably the very person Jeff intentionally blocks Minimum System Requirements updates and makes the game better for modern computers.

Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:22 pm