Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Copernicus
Level: 895

Post Re: New Spearhead Model (wip)
Masterful wrote:
MasterTrader wrote:
Dude I just shat a brick...

Painful much?

But hell, that looks awesome. Some bigger tails coming up at the back (like a fighter) would be nice, too.

It has a couple of fins, they just don't stick up much from the angle in the pics.

F2P: Colonel Mustang/Riza Hawkeye/Jean Havoc/Heymans Breda/Kain Fuery

Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:26 am

Now how the heck do I get it into the game to replace that danged rat model?

Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:27 am
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Jeff Bobbo
Level: 2700

DarthFirebert wrote:
Now how the heck do I get it into the game to replace that danged rat model?

Place the texture and object into their places in the client \Content\Default\Textures/Models\Ships.

If they are named something differently, you can reassign the graphics for each ship in \res\ships.xml

JeffL wrote:
Are you kidding me? Our C2 music is way better than that boring garbage you linked.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:38 pm
Profile WWW

Neat. Ok, the model and color map are in the game and working (turned out the reason it was a rat is because I was looking at my Spearhead+ and not the standard) now I just need to know how to add the bump and specularity maps ingame...

Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:44 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

I highly suggest that as you make your own or modified models or textures, you put them into your own custom skin as described at the top of this page: http://wiki.starsonata.com/index.php/Client_Skinning. If you overwrite the defaults, then your changes will get overwritten again when you patch. When you make your own skin, your changes will be safe from the evil Patchbot. Also, you can easily zip up your mods to give to me or other people, and you don't need to backup the original elsewhere in case you want to look at it again.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:27 pm
Profile WWW

JeffL wrote:
I highly suggest that as you make your own or modified models or textures, you put them into your own custom skin as described at the top of this page: http://wiki.starsonata.com/index.php/Client_Skinning. If you overwrite the defaults, then your changes will get overwritten again when you patch. When you make your own skin, your changes will be safe from the evil Patchbot. Also, you can easily zip up your mods to give to me or other people, and you don't need to backup the original elsewhere in case you want to look at it again.

Yea, I'm going to email the Spearhead and its textures to you this evening since I can't figure out how to add the specularity and bump maps myself. That way it can also be included in the next patch like the cadet.

Also, I'm thinking of a new design for the Faranji Stinger. Since it is a ruin ship I figure that it's very strange that it looks like a "modern" Spearhead. Also, since it has a built in laser I can make this an obvious external feature that can retract out of the dart-like hull in combat mode. I'll make a rough model in a bit if I have time in class.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:16 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

The artifact versions of common ships are supposed to be the ancestors of those ship designs. Basically modern engineers designed a new ship that looks like the old one superficially, but of course, they can't duplicate the performance.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:25 pm
Profile WWW

Ah, in that case I'll make a third texture for the Stinger then. Are there any emblems or markings specific to Faranji culture that I could decorate it with?

Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:47 pm
Team: Immortal Silver
Main: demon_1
Level: 1602

:D the model looks great looking foward to seeing it in game.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:07 pm

Here's the texture variant for the Faranji Stinger. It follows the C1 Stinger's color scheme and has some minor scoring on the leading edges of the hull to suggest that it survived battles with the UrQa before being abandoned. Emailing it off to Jeff in a bit.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:10 pm
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

That Fstinger is epic.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:18 pm
Dev Team
Main: Xipe Totec
Level: 2

As a note, currently normal maps are designed to be interpolated from the base textures. Though as far as i can tell this isnt working. So if you are using normal maps for all that detail (at least that what it looks like from the 2 renders you show) then you will need to change that to variations of light and dark. This can very easily be done by putting a grey mask over the areas that would be low. Hold on to the normal map though for future use though as we get more features in place.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:49 pm

Yea, I kinda figured out after putting the Cadet in game that the color map was being used to account for specularity. As far as I can tell though, there's no bump map functioning on any models. But yea, I've got everything stored away for later and Jeff has copies of all the maps I've made so far too.

At any rate, we have some nice renders that can be used in the wiki pages or banner ads or whatever.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:54 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

The game generates a normal map (better than a bump map) from the color textures.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:12 am
Profile WWW

JeffL wrote:
The game generates a normal map (better than a bump map) from the color textures.

I think I get what you're saying. I'll fiddle with the textures more later and see if I can get the color map to show all the little hull details.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:51 am