Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Copernicus
Level: 895

Post Re: Massif III
Hm. So if we have any new models that might have animated segments, we should send the animating segments as their own object files so that you can combine them as needed in C2?

Also, I'm still feeling that this ship should not be called a Massif. To me, the Bulk trader line is separate from the NCC/Massif line; the former living up to its namesake by being built to carry unpackaged goods like ores and whatnot and the later line of ships being for cargo containers and other packaged goods like modern general cargo vessels. The Massifs are more of a high-class line of cargo ships, living up to their wiki description of being "star-studded transports."

Maybe since this bulk is bigger than the typical ones, it could be repurposed to serve as the higher-capacity models of bulk traders, like the Dark Freighters, as a visual representation of their considerably greater cargo capacity.

Also, when did we get that awesome rocket smoke trail engine particle effects?? :shock: I want that on my big ships!

F2P: Colonel Mustang/Riza Hawkeye/Jean Havoc/Heymans Breda/Kain Fuery

Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:42 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

If you have a ship or a space base with a discreet chunk that is supposed to move or rotate in a particular way, then, yes, you should make it in chunks and let us put it together. Of course, you can start with an animated mesh to see how it looks in game, and once you get it how you like it, just cut it up and submit it.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Aidelon
Main: -Death-
Level: 3302

why would you need to do that? i can do animation fine and have ti all in sink.

here is a vid to show the animation. Its a bit laggy. I have a felling that the game doesn't integrate very well with my integrated graphics card. so instead of using all my graphics its only using like 68mb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggdpuBXnV7U

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:09 pm
Team: Solstice
Main: Trevor
Level: 5369

Lets not make the Bulk line any bigger?

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:30 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

The main difference is when the animation is in the model, it is 500-3000 ish vertices being moved each frame. When we break the model into chunks, attach the chunks to each other, and add animators to the chunks, it is only a few values that get animated each frame. The chunks get moved via matrix multiplications which are way cheaper than interpolations from an animated mesh. Non animated model chunks are also a lot smaller in memory and faster to access than animated models.

There won't really be a difference for people with high end graphics cards, but for people with the laptops and integrated graphics which are currently cpu-bound on the framerate, there can be a significant different.

And then there's also that we can re-use parts, like the barrel is the same barrel that's now used in bulk 1, bulk 2, massif 1, massif 2, and massif 3, so we save memory and loading time there as well.

Last, animating model parts is more robust than an animated mesh. There are several animations in the game that aren't totally smooth and have hitches in them.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Copernicus
Level: 895

JeffL wrote:
Last, animating model parts is more robust than an animated mesh. There are several animations in the game that aren't totally smooth and have hitches in them.

I.E. Bob's Towing Station in Sol and all related spiny stations. Bugs the crap out of me whenever I'm near one. Every few seconds. Spin. Spin. SKIP. ... Spin. Spin. SKIP. ARGH!

F2P: Colonel Mustang/Riza Hawkeye/Jean Havoc/Heymans Breda/Kain Fuery

Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:34 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
Back to the subject of C1 MASSIF 3S.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:11 am