Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Copernicus
Level: 895

Post Re: Missiles
More C2-engine-friendly missiles. Now hovering around 60-120 polygons. Poly counts are above each missile in this picture.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

F2P: Colonel Mustang/Riza Hawkeye/Jean Havoc/Heymans Breda/Kain Fuery

Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:32 pm
Team: Solstice
Main: Trevor
Level: 5369

Would the missiles still retain their glow?

Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:47 pm

trevor54 wrote:
Would the missiles still retain their glow?

Yep. I just didn't give them any hypershaders in Maya, so they won't glow until I make a glowmap and test them in game.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:54 pm
Dev Team
Main: Xipe Totec
Level: 2

You can get rid of some more polys on the fins by going to triangular pyramids and on the one that has the expansion/contraction sections by using two seperate elements for those and keeping the center body one long element.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:02 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Feathers wrote:
You can get rid of some more polys ... on the one that has the expansion/contraction sections by using two seperate elements for those and keeping the center body one long element.

Does that work well? It's been years since I've had much to do with the back end of 3d graphics, but back in the day, that sort of thing was always a no-no because it would mess up lighting and leave visible seams. I honestly don't know if that works these days, though.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:25 am
Profile WWW
Team: Aidelon
Main: Deano!!
Level: 5057

DarthFirebert wrote:
More C2-engine-friendly missiles. Now hovering around 60-120 polygons. Poly counts are above each missile in this picture.

Just as awesome IMO.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:43 am
Dev Team
Main: Xipe Totec
Level: 2

There will be a seam jeff, but in most cases the seem will be in a place the texture would have added one And i generally only use it at large transitions. I have been using techniques like this on every model =P. Here is an example of what i mean and how it achieves lower poly counts. it is 80 faces for the first and 48 for the second. You can even have two differnt sized cylinders on the second one and you would be at 64 polys.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:03 am

JeffL wrote:
Feathers wrote:
You can get rid of some more polys ... on the one that has the expansion/contraction sections by using two seperate elements for those and keeping the center body one long element.

Does that work well? It's been years since I've had much to do with the back end of 3d graphics, but back in the day, that sort of thing was always a no-no because it would mess up lighting and leave visible seams. I honestly don't know if that works these days, though.

Yea, that tends to be a problem in Maya still, but I'm not sure about C2 since some other models are already made of multiple geometries it seems. I'll see what it does later today.

Edit: Is there a code in the ships or another file for missiles already, or do I need to add it in to replace the rat models? Giant, flying, exploding rats... :shock:

Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:30 am

Ok, I've got my final modeling projects for class taking up a good portion of my Maya time right now, but I took a moment to get one missile ready so it can be ingame for the C2 Emp run on Saturday. The attached item is what will be the heat-damage missile, but for now it will have to represent all missile types since it looks the most like a C1 missile. I'll email the color and glow maps with the object to Jeff in a bit.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Posting this for Blue Dwarf to see. From left to right: Heat, Surgical, Mining, Physical. Glows for each would be orange, light blue, green, white.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:11 pm
Main: Mow
Level: 9759

I like these, they are interesting :D

Note for Admins: If you add these things in, can you change the model of the easter fighters to something that isn't missiles? :D

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:12 pm