Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Team: Triple Alliance
Main: Biggee
Level: 3017

Post Re: The Centauri
thecrazygamemaster wrote:
biggee531 wrote:
thecrazygamemaster wrote:
I've opened and textured the model, those are clearly winglets.

So you can use the wind resistance in space to maneuver your ship?...

You know what? I give up. No matter how many times people fly your arguments into the ground, you just come up with another one. Pun intended.

Saying it isn't a fighter jet doesn't mean it isn't a fighter jet; it has the aerodynamics of a fighter jet, it has wings, it has multiple tail fins, it has extrusions that are in the same place a landing gear extrudes from on a fighter jet, it has a smooth under-chassis, and the bottom part even has extrusions modeled after the doors that open up to put down the landing gear on a typical fighter.

If it looks like a fighter jet, acts like a fighter jet, and has the qualities of a fighter jet... it's a fighter jet. Maybe it wasn't intended to be, but in a side-by-side comparison, it's a jet, not a spaceship.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:46 pm
Main: Mow
Level: 9759

redalert150 wrote:
Who cares about any of this stuff? If it looks cool add it!

Thats what the Admins say!

I suggested it would be a decent texture to replace the current pencil-like Easter Fighters. There is absolutely nothing wrong with fighters that resemble Jet Fighters, I can tell you all right now, this work of art that crazyhorse has produced is much better than some of the pieces of shit we are currently flying. You can bet your life that once we get the technology to be able to actually fly in space, 1 man spaceships will resemble Jet Fighters in terms of looks and agility. They are not supposed to be pilotable by players. Jets are Fighters. If you are that fussy about Aerodynamics, go bitch to the admins about the Space Blue Ships, some of them have Wings. Let me list a few things that a normal person would not even call a ship:

Scruple? Sure, a pink sea anemone with moving arms.
Delquad? I can see it right now, a slim, pink penis shaped object with square testicles.
Prawn? Yeah, Roadkill looks like a Spaceship doesn't it!
The Earthforce Capital ships... :lol: Do I even need to mention the drainpipe complexes that we see people flying? The Flamberge looks more like a Capital ship, yet its a Freighter :x
Hotrods? Oh wait, ignore that, they look like reasonable ships.
Red Photon Capital Ships - An Improvement to the Capital Ships look, Warship has Cannon like features on the sides, but underneith all that, its still a drainpipe complex.

What I am basically saying is, this model is absolutely fine. It has everything it needs to look like a reasonable fighter ship. You can say it has no place in SS as much as you want. It has a visible cockpit. It has the features a Spaceship should have. I don't see many other ships in this game that have that... Maybe the Wyrm & SBA ships I guess.

Space Blue ships are actually the best looking ships in the game, because they look like something a person would fly.

I 100% support this model, its better than most of the ones I am seeing. -_-

Thank you.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:42 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1100

With all the particles and clouds you see in every gal, we might as well be in an atmosphere anyway.

bageese wrote:
We've been against saying any solid dates until we know for sure when something is coming in.
:lol:

Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Mow
Level: 9759

Visorak wrote:
With all the particles and clouds you see in every gal, we might as well be in an atmosphere anyway.

Especially the never-ending backgrounds which look horrible.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:09 pm
Team: Devil Dogs
Main: Zeus
Level: 3859

biggee531 wrote:
There's a reason no one is afraid of SD's in pvp. /end thread

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA That is all.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:18 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: friend of dying moth
Level: 2981

:x :x :x :x :x :x you all fail so bad bad it unbelievable space is not empty and most of the galaxy's have nebulas. in real life space has a lot more resistance than you think :shock: as of all the gas clouds and random particles...........

id also like to say aerodynamic things to tend to be harder to hit than a giant blob like the shitty slimeberg :evil: :evil: it look so freaking shit and such an easy target. so liitle design put in it looks like a gelato :evil: :roll: :cry:

be embarrassed very embarrassed

btw if u critisise my writing i will find u :twisted:

ps dont put other people down u mean fucking bullys

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:59 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

While mister moth is bumping topics left right and center, I would like to offer my two cents.

People play games/do certain things in games because of one of two reasons. It looks cool as shit. Or they can't help it. Furthermore, game models must be at least realistic enough to relate to; a ship can't look so alien that you can't make any head or tail of it. Such ships would not draw people to a spaceship game. This is also why virtually every game has some sort of Terran family, because they look pretty close to Earth-based technology of the twenty-first century and thus people can relate to them.

A spaceship that looks, acts, and feels like a fighter jet probably is that way because of one of two reasons. Either it looks fucking cool and the designer made it look that way on purpose. Or it actually serves a function that you may or may not have noticed.

You could look at an alien ship and say landing gear, only to find out it's some sort of elastically charged catapult weapon for pelting you with plasma. Same way from the alien's perspective. It might call something a medical tool, because on the alien's homeworld, there are medical tools that look like that. However, we call it an AK-47, because it IS an AK-47.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Max235 wrote:
While mister moth is bumping topics left right and center, I would like to offer my two cents.

People play games/do certain things in games because of one of two reasons. It looks cool as shit. Or they can't help it. Furthermore, game models must be at least realistic enough to relate to; a ship can't look so alien that you can't make any head or tail of it. Such ships would not draw people to a spaceship game. This is also why virtually every game has some sort of Terran family, because they look pretty close to Earth-based technology of the twenty-first century and thus people can relate to them.

A spaceship that looks, acts, and feels like a fighter jet probably is that way because of one of two reasons. Either it looks fucking cool and the designer made it look that way on purpose. Or it actually serves a function that you may or may not have noticed.

You could look at an alien ship and say landing gear, only to find out it's some sort of elastically charged catapult weapon for pelting you with plasma. Same way from the alien's perspective. It might call something a medical tool, because on the alien's homeworld, there are medical tools that look like that. However, we call it an AK-47, because it IS an AK-47.

Except we're all humans here and there are no aliens. /shotdown

Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:17 pm

Wait, Texas isn't an alien land? I thought we had Bush all figured out.

My point is that in virtually every space game, there are some distinctly "Human" race with distinctly human looking technology. The tech looks like a cross between EU and US militaries.

Then there are a host of races or factions with technology that range from 'don't particular resemble human tech' to 'definitely not human tech'.

Take Surpreme Commander, there is the normal UEF, whose military look like something for the US Army, just bigger, badder, and very concerned with symmetry. Cybrans are are humans, but they are mechanically augmented and their military is based off robotics more than Tanks and Jets. The "Tank" is a 4 legged pulse laser fitted robot.

Aeons use bio-mechanical technology with a lot of alien tech that includes anti-gravity and gravametric plasma cannons. Among their more exotic weapons are sonic guns.

Seraphim are totally alien (being that they are aliens in the game) with heavy focus on anti-gravity and ultra-strong alloys that allow a seemingly heavy object (battleship sized) to be perched on something befitting a scaffold.

While they are all humans (after campaign lore includes human pilots in Seraphim Mechs), only one is "Human-like". All the others are between radical and alien. You can't tell me a fighter jet can be ridiculously asymmetrical and still be work as well as every other "symmetrical" one. (Besides the fact it is a game).

Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:48 pm

Doing a bit more reading into the following posts after crazyhorse's design, it is not that it is unrealistic to design small and fast spacecraft after atmospheric craft, your entire argument is based on the fact you don't like the look of such spacecraft. You do not want to be pointed out as such because in the end, who the fuck cares what it looks like? If the designer likes it, so be it. That's what his designs will look like. You were trying to cover the fact you don't like a certain design with the aerodynamic vs non-aerodynamic argument.

In space, there is no friction. So a spacecraft can look however the fuck its designer (unless it is a space-borne living creature) wants it to look like. You have no argument on whether a spacecraft should look, act, or feel like a modern fighterjet because int he end, it doesn't matter. But the reason why so many fighter craft look like fighter jets in fiction is to maximize the ability to fight in an atmosphere, which eventually they do end up fighting. Very few fighters in fiction are strictly space fighters. Usually its the titanic mothership that has to stay in space, probably due to its anti-gravity/engines cannot keep its bulk from crashing into the planet.

The third counter-argument is the fact Star Sonata NEEDS content. This is a game that cannot afford to scrap new potential content because a former developer doesn't like the look of it.

There are two kinds of successful MMO space game. One is based off of function and balance. It doesn't have much content, but people are expected to kill each other and losses are minimal so to allow more killing. The other game is based on balance and content. Losses are massive (or non-existent) and people don't kill each other often (these don't normally become MMO's). This game is based on getting together with friends or bots and doing raids into difficult dungeons for loot.

Star Sonata is of the second kind, but unlike most games like WoW (which isn't a space game), SPAZ, and STO, SS lacks content, lacks balance between classes, and lacks progression tools. It needs all the items it can get its hands on, and anyone that says no to potentially new content, more tools, or better balance is someone that does nothing for the game.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:20 am

TL;DC

Probably shouldn't respond to yourself before someone else has, makes you look a wee bit crazy.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:00 am

It's for organization.

The general population Star Sonata tends to be very intimidated by anything over three paragraphs. Breaking things up makes it easier to understand and easier to get key points across without making it look like I'm typing up a book.

I'm sure you've come across a lot of people that look at more than a few lines, go "Fuck that" and turn off/close whatever had the text.

And totally off topic, but that's how people seem to feel about Nexus and its missions.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:07 am
Team: Traders
Main: DefQon1
Level: 5100

Beware though. Bobbo will rename your ship and make it into some retarded ship hull class that you don't want it to be.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:20 am
Main: Evo
Level: 34

kanescreed wrote:
Beware though. Bobbo will rename your ship and make it into some retarded ship hull class that you don't want it to be.

Story of my life.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:34 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

syberian wrote:
kanescreed wrote:

Story of my life.

Poor Sybir. :/

Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:56 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next