Level: 3237

Post Re: The Centauri
Can't belave yall are still on this ship

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:06 am
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: friend of dying moth
Level: 2981

there is friction on space just very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very little amount :D

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:40 pm
Main: Mow
Level: 9759

SS might as well be considered an atmosphere, look at all those fucking never ending backgrounds and clouds.

Lastly, why do you care what biggee has to say? He's not a dev, he doesn't have authority to say what's good and what's crap, ignore it.

Wed May 08, 2013 4:26 am
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

Tomzta09 wrote:
SS might as well be considered an atmosphere, look at all those fucking never ending backgrounds and clouds.

This is because the admins don't seem to be able (or willing) to recreate depth very well. Space is huge, regardless of who you ask. Every medium that depicts space also says it's huge. The admins however try to say space is not huge, contrary to every piece of evidence saying otherwise. It makes sense to some degree if you're trying to market the game to 10 year old's.

Wed May 08, 2013 5:57 am
Team: Triple Alliance
Main: Biggee
Level: 3017

Tomzta09 wrote:

Lastly, why do you care what biggee has to say? He's not a dev, he doesn't have authority to say what's good and what's crap, ignore it.

You're right, it's just an opinion. An opinion that i'm pretty sure the people who make design decisions share with me, at least should share with me. SS is a niche space game that doesn't have the luxury of being the only space game; it's compared and contrasted across the board against ALL space games, even ones in a different tier like EVE.

SS can't pursue the hyper-realistic ideal when approaching models and environments because A) You need a current gen production team to pull off any content in a reasonable time-frame and B) That's EVE's main focus. In its current state, the quality of this model is not at a level appropriate for any production environment, maybe a flash game or something.

If SS wants to keep its head above water for the foreseeable future, it needs to focus on the things that matter to most people. The big 2 are end-game recurring content and engaging, functional environments. A part of that is immersing people into an environment that causes them to question their surroundings. Forcing surrealism by being wildly familiar, but unique enough to cause that doubt of realism. This includes actual environments, lore, and of course models/ship models specifically. If the main model (the player ship) you see on a daily basis is of poor quality, doesn't fit in with its surroundings, and doesn't have that attention to detail, how can you possibly be immersed into your environment?

That's where i'm coming from when I say that the model isn't up to scratch in terms of overall quality. Yes, there are other ships that are currently in SS that suffer from this same malady, but the way to curb that is by improving the models that need improving and eliminating the addition of models that will just need to be updated again soon, not by just adding more and more ships of lesser quality.

Do it right the first time; pay attention to the details because I can assure you with any niche game or niche genre, the people playing those games WILL scrutinize the details of every aspect of their environments. A ship model will make or break the immersion, and as it is, many people don't like a lot of things about this game. I'm not going to make a bold claim and say the majority, but I think everyone is on the same page when I say that ship models could use some love.

Wed May 08, 2013 9:43 am