Team: Triple Alliance
Main: Biggee
Level: 3017

Post Tortoise?
Here's a model I've been working on for a little bit. It was meant to be for the tortoise line of ships, but I'm not sure if this is the right direction to go with it. Anyone have any thoughts/comments/concerns about what they think the tortoise ships could/should look like? Obviously this is unfinished and would only be the base model i'd work off of for each tortoise ship probably. Not much smoothing done to it and you can see a lot of hard edges still especially on the back view; these are just work in progress screenshots.

Thanks for any feedback.

Edit: This is about as smooth as I think spaceships should get without being an organic class ship. I don't mind smoothness, I think it can be really tasteful. What I don't like at all is a spaceship that looks like it was molded from a lump a clay instead of made out of metal. It breaks the immersion for me instantly when I see a lump of clay flying through space.

Last edited by biggee531 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:33 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Tortoise?
It looks beautiful, especially from the side. It would definitely be fine as a ship but most of the good detail is lost from a top-down view. Not sure what you can do about that, though.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:30 am
Main: Sun Tzu
Level: 1

Who cares if detail is lost through top down? It's not like most of the playerbase use the orthographic camera!? Jeff uses angled north-south camera so it's fine!

On a serious note I think it looks epic. Reminds me of Izer and Absentis.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:01 pm

anilv wrote:
It looks beautiful, especially from the side. It would definitely be fine as a ship but most of the good detail is lost from a top-down view. Not sure what you can do about that, though.

Thank you. That's a great point about loss of detail; I usually try to account for that, but it slipped by me this time. Thanks for your input.

Master Sun wrote:
Who cares if detail is lost through top down? It's not like most of the playerbase use the orthographic camera!? Jeff uses angled north-south camera so it's fine!

On a serious note I think it looks epic. Reminds me of Izer and Absentis.

Playing top down is a preference some people have; I'm sure I can model well enough to make both types of people happy :P

Yeah, looking at it objectively, it looks a LOT like an absentis. I actually sketched out what I wanted it to maybe look like beforehand, and it looks almost nothing like the sketch. Oh well. Thanks for your feedback, dude!

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:07 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Like always nice work, i think it would be a waste not to use this. I also think it would be a waste on the tortoise line of ships, looks to nice for that :P

Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:02 am
Team: Aidelon
Main: crazyhorse2
Level: 3237

Any more progress on this ship?

Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:03 pm

Nope, no progress.