Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Post Proposal for Team XP and Team Skills
Hi everybody.

The following is a design doc I've been working on and getting feedback from other devs for team XP and team skills. I'm posting it here now for player feedback. Please read it through and let us know what you think.

Team Skills Design Doc

Team Score Revamp

RETAINED
Stations
Ownership
Population
Mining

REVISED
Trading: Only track sales from user bases to merchant AI (and/or AI bases?)
Loyalty: Score reverts to zero at reset. +1 point every day, lose a percent of points for leaving team, such as x = MAX(10%, 1 / team size)
Deadliness: Remove base and perma drone kills. Possibly give bonus for lockout-boss kills

REMOVED
Wealth
Member Strength

NEW
Activity: points granted at a max of one per day per account on the team per activity for various in-game activities, divided by the number of accounts in the team roster (e.g. being online for 15 minutes, chatting, killing something, selling something, scooping something, warping, leveling up, etc.)
Experience: points for leveling up
Production: points equal to credit cost of all completed construction projects of the current universe (or the credit value of the projects if we are confident in that number's relevance).

Team XP

Teams will get XP once per 24 hours equal to their current team score. This will average out to around 600 points per day, or about 18,000 per month.

Team Skill Points

Teams will earn one team skill point per 1000 XP. These skill points can be spent by the team director.

Team Skills

Team skills will follow a similar cost progression as regular tech skills. Each different skill will cost some constant times the level of the next skill, e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4,... or 10, 20, 30, 40, ... Each skill will be independent from the others and there is currently no plan for team skill pools.

Skill / Cost Multiplier / Effect
Roster / 1 / Gain 5 extra member slots (the base number of allowed players will be reduced to 100, but existing teams will start with some levels of this skill to get them to 150)
Leadership / 20 / Gain 1 extra councillor slot (teams start with 2)
Home defense / 1 / HQ gains 100,000/lvl max shield
Home field advantage / 2 / Team ships gain +20/s/lvl regen while in an owned galaxy
Intelligence Network / 3 / Team ships, bases, and drones gain +50 vision /lvl while in owned galaxy
Galactic Control / 1 / Team can own this many galaxies
Outpost / 20 / Team may deploy this many outposts
Hardened Defenses / 4 / Drones in team owned galaxies gain +1% resist all /lvl
HQ Filling station / 1 / Ships docked in their team HQ gain +50/s regen and +50/s elec.
Fortified Outpost / 3 / Outposts gain 100,000/lvl max shield
Super Cannon / 30 / Newly deployed team HQ's will have one super cannon per lvl of included super items
Warmongering / 5 / Teams may declare this many simultaneous wars (replacing old player skill -- with no levels of this, team may not declare war)

Interface

In the social dialog, there will be a new tab for team skills. This will list team XP, unused team skill points, and a list of team skills. For the leader only, there will be a button to train a new skill.

Discussion

The team score revamp focuses team effort on more active activities during each universe. The team scores will be set to zero at each universe reset to give all teams a more even shot at a high score. This will help new active teams over old teams that are less active, but have accumulated a lot of capital.

The team XP coming from team score rather than more discrete activities like kills or credit scoops means that the team needs to focus on getting their team score up rather than pure grinding. The scores like stations, ownership, population, and trading really focus on team infrastructure. Activity, experience, and builds focus more on an active team, but it takes somewhat of an active team to get any of the scores. Players can grind to drive some scores like deadliness up, but just being one component of the score, it probably won't be worth it.

The other nice thing about team XP coming from the team scores, is that one team can get more XP by driving down the scores of other teams, since all team scores are normalized per category. This could potentially drive some interesting interaction.

Allowing teams to build up their skills over months and years will provide a sense of satisfaction and achievement. It will also lessen the ability for team hopping and alt teams.

New team scores like activity and experience encourage the recruitment of new players for the team, as does the ability to grow the team roster size.

A team that manages to max every team score will be able to accumulate 1 team skill points TSP per day. That would be about 90 per uni

Transition

When instituting this new system, all existing teams will be given level 10 in roster, level 10 in galactic control, level 1 in outpost, and level 2 in warmongering and 145,000 of (spent) XP.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Main: Evo
Level: 34

Post Re: Proposal for Team XP and Team Skills
Just for record about this:
Quote:
Deadliness: Remove base and perma drone kills. Possibly give bonus for lockout-boss kills

Instances don't generate kills (nor counc exp from exp tithe).

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:02 pm
Team: White Star
Main: xXxIrishKnightxXx
Level: 20

/signed but with revision (20 councillor slots is what im reading, if im mistaken please tell me)
edit- oic

Last edited by IrishKnight on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:07 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

love it some great ideas on the burner here jeff

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

I think you might have to rethink the cost of Galactic Control. Most big teams claim at least 40 galaxies (admittedly many are poor value connectors), and if you start them off at level 10 of GC, they would need

(40)(41)/2 - (10)(11)/2 = 765

skill points to get back to that level. Needless to say that is way too much considering the theoretical max of 90/uni. I guess there are three possible solutions.

1) Start teams off with an allowance of owned galaxies even with zero GC.
2) Reduce the scaling cost of GC.
3) Grant pre-existing teams extra levels of GC.

It looks like a relatively powerful team can expect to earn 0.75 TSP per day. I feel it would be reasonable to expect to have solidified their territory after three weeks of the universe. So it should be calibrated that whatever pre-existing teams start with, plus ~16 TSP, should buy them about 40 galaxies.

I like the third solution because for teams that only get started after the revamp, they'll likely be building up from nothing and therefore won't need to own 40 galaxies all in one go. Current big teams however have not had the chance to accumulate TSP. Perhaps the cost of GC should not scale up quite so steeply as well, though.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:14 pm
Main: Evo
Level: 34

Quote:
HQ Filling station / 1 / Ships docked in their team HQ gain +50/s regen and +50/s elec.
Super Cannon / 30 / Newly deployed team HQ's will have one super cannon per lvl of included super items

HQ Filling station- Does this bonus work only in HQ gal or everywhere?
Super Cannon - 1 cannon per lvl, does that mean that 2 lvls would make it multifire?

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:38 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dindu Nuffin
Level: 3522

Make it so

Roster = 10 per level

GC = 2 per level

Give existing teams 5 points in roster and 5 points in GC.

Reducing the cost of those skills in the long run will be much easier, and still take a long ass time to level up to functionality, and give new teams an easier chance to start up.

I think if it takes new teams 18 months to get to 175 team member slots, most of them would like rage quit, and that's if they spent ALL there points on just that skill. Maybe even longer because they wouldn't be getting .75 points per day like bigger teams would...

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:49 pm
Main: Rhys
Level: 3919

JeffL wrote:
When instituting this new system, all existing teams will be given level 10 in roster, level 10 in galactic control, level 1 in outpost, and level 2 in warmongering and 145,000 of (spent) XP.

Considering the shit galaxies out there, galactic control should be at least 20-30, or ideally a non-incremental cost (i.e. like getting drone skill). Unless of course your goal is to have a large number of unowned galaxies so ppl can come in and bvb your assets, then good job.

JeffL wrote:
Home defense / 1 / HQ gains 100,000/lvl max shield
Home field advantage / 2 / Team ships gain +20/s/lvl regen while in an owned galaxy
Fortified Outpost / 3 / Outposts gain 100,000/lvl max shield

Not sure how these skills are.... well, yeah their shit, except for a pirate team with 1 gal and just max HFA / HQ skill. Creative, but useless for the rest of us. Rather just not see them and let you guys add them in another package next uni.

Last edited by Rounder on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:57 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

yes this wont go down well if the galaxy quality is as poor as currently is

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Dark Phantom
Level: 4762

Galactic control- Average galaxy quality will need a massive beef if this goes in, no more galaxies that are only good for connectors. A 10 in galaxy control at the start of the universe will not be pretty. Given that an average team has more than 10 players, that probably forces 2-3 players into one galaxy at a time, when many of those galaxies have little to no planets. The other option would be some players must wait to build, but then what is the point of the uni "rush". Whilst I understand that it will take a maximum of one uni to get back to the amount of galaxies we need to claim, what is the point?

Skills benefiting shield of outpost/HQ- Not quite sure about the cost/benefit of this. 100k doesn't seem like much.
EDIT: Vhaeraun makes valid point. Next to no fighting occurs in the HQ galaxy, so very little people will benefit from this at all.

HQ Filling station- seems quite useless.

Supercannon- What does this entail?

Everything else seems fine.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:19 pm
Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: Llessur
Level: 3775

Why retain Mining? It is just one of several economic activities.

Wealth, and Member Strength on the other hand provide valuable information in assessing the potential strength of an opposing team.

Age should be retained but should relate to the formation date of the team. Teams where noone has logged in during a uni should be purged or marked as inactive.

Teams should not be disadvantaged by these changes and existing teams should start with values in the various skills consistant with their current level.

This should include the current directors' Warmongering skill.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:10 pm
Profile YIM
Main: Dindu Nuffin
Level: 3522

Age is pointless, everyone has 100...

Wealth is just as pointless, Wealth should not be measured by the amount of money that are in team funds.

Like I said in my previous post, we need way more GC at the start of the uni to be able to actually have enough slots for everyone. Maybe instead of assigning us designated GC Roster and warmongering, you give each team TSP proportional to there current team score?

GC and Roster also needs to be doubled in value in order to successfully facilitate this system... Because as it is now, it would take more than a year to barely scratch the surface of how much roster and GC a big team would need...

1 TSP must = 1 point in GC = 2 galaxy slots

1 TSP must = 1 point in Roster = 10 member slots

If not that, more..

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:03 pm
Team: Traders
Main: -X-
Level: 5873

Make Deadlines interact with PvP so when u kill a Player = to ur lvl or so on you gain some deadliness, otherwise all THIS IS PVAI BASED!!!....

DEATH TO DRACO
I AM GOD

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:06 am
Team: Aidelon
Main: Comandor_J
Level: 7494

Deadliness should be effected not only by killing players but player perma drones and bases, and maybe ai and boss ai's.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:58 am
Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: Llessur
Level: 3775

paxiprime said "Age is pointless, everyone has 100...
Wealth is just as pointless, Wealth should not be measured by the amount of money that are in team funds."

Well as a peon I would not expect you to see the value of such data.
I wealth relates to the total funds of the players , I believe.

As for age I want to see the actual age of a team. Currently it does no relate to the actual age of the team, I want it to do so. Its jjust nice to have.

Player strength is a good gauge of team strength so should be retained

As I said before the starting values for the new system should be where each team is currently at.
If you destroy the current teams , which is the inevitable result of instituting the proposed system at low default values you will lose a lot of players because you will lose team value and cohesion.
Teams are made up of groups of guys who like to hang out together, who like the team atmosphere andto do runs together.
Destroy the team and you lose all that and for many the reason to play.

Most of the propsals btw are broken when u analyse them.

Last edited by Russell on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:18 am
Profile YIM
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next