Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Post Ship Limit Revamp + increase in number of ship slots
One problem that has been persistent throughout Star Sonata has been the problem of running out of ship slots. This is most painfully encountered when a player has exceeded his ship limit by capturing wild ships and docking them, then flies to a different base and sells his current ship expecting to buy a replacement, only to be greeted with the error that he has too many ships and can't buy more.

Many players have requested a larger ship limit, but no matter how much we increase the limit, people can still run into this problem because of the way that only some ships get counted at certain times against the limit.

This proposal is threefold:

1) Address the inconsistency of ship counts, by counting all the ships that are in any way owned by the player, including active ship, stasised ships, trade slaves, and docked ships. In order to capture a wild slave, you will have to have an available slot. This will address a lot of the problems revolving ship limit, but it will effectively lower how many ships a person can have compared to now, except for part 2:

2) Increase the starting number of ship slots to 50.

3) Allow the purchase of even more ship slots with Space Points, so that if a player really needs more than 50, he can buy as many as he needs.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:19 am
Profile WWW
Main: None
Level: 0

Post Re: Ship Limit Revamp + increase in number of ship slots
Quote:

The current balance between colony maturing and the ship slot limit for storing peasants is a fine line that should not be moved without considering the unbalance it will bring. I vote down option number 2.

What I do suggest, is the following:

The Deactivation Hangar

- All ships in your possessions tab can be put into The Deactivation Hangar as long as they have no gear on them (apart from inbuilt gear). You can at any time move any ship into the hangar, but you can only move a ship out if you have free slots. This way you can through the possessions tab (or whatever other code it might require) move a captured ship, or a ship that you don't use, into the hangar, and free up your ship slots.

If coded so that no ship can be moved in with items on them (such as peasants) you will prevent people from abusing this as a storage. A second possibility would be to only allow ships with having all items onboard equipped to be allowed into the hangar. This would work because you can not equip commodities, nor base gear to a normal ship.

When a player attempts to buy a ship, and gets the error message that he is out of slots, a window with information on The Deactivation Hangar would pop up, and give the player information on how to solve the issue.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:48 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

ive never had a problem with the 25 limit with respect to storing peasants for colonies, the 25 limit brings me troubles in other areas, but not in peas management.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:59 am
Profile WWW
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Lol, SS is slowly turning into a mall game.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:05 am
Main: None
Level: 0

sabre198 wrote:
ive never had a problem with the 25 limit with respect to storing peasants for colonies, the 25 limit brings me troubles in other areas, but not in peas management.

The idea of my post was not the problematize the current 25 ship limit balance towards peasant storing, but to shed light on the problem it might cause if the limit is increased to 50.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:13 am
Team: Traders
Main: DefQon1
Level: 5100

25 to 50 shouldn't just be given. It should just be purchasable by credits which the price rises per a ship slot and should obviously be p2p only.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:17 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

So first everyone complains we need more ship slots now we might get it and we still complain? Peasants all decay at uni reset problem solved, DIE COLONY WHORES!

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:41 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

This proposal attempts to address several different problems, many of which are better solved individually.

1. Players getting stranded without ship slots
Allow players to undock in Spirit form, or if you wish to program it, let the default undock mode be in a pod-like shuttle with inbuilt gear that can dock into stasised ships.

2. Players wishing to store ships for trophy or nostalgic purposes
Allow players to "dry dock" ships the way Dark Brotherhood suggests.

3. Players storing tons of peasants for uni reset
No matter what anyone says, having 25 more slots for Singularity Spheres does mean a lot more peasants getting pumped into colonies each uni. I don't think the number of ship slots needs to be raised if #1 and #2 are dealt with individually. I also don't think it should be possible to raise it for space points since that's just a fancy way of converting $ into credits.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:02 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: urzaserra2
Level: 4871

JeffL wrote:

1) Address the inconsistency of ship counts, by counting all the ships that are in any way owned by the player, including active ship, stasised ships, trade slaves, and docked ships. In order to capture a wild slave, you will have to have an available slot. This will address a lot of the problems revolving ship limit, but it will effectively lower how many ships a person can have compared to now, except for part 2:

3) Allow the purchase of even more ship slots with Space Points, so that if a player really needs more than 50, he can buy as many as he needs.

A big no for the ship capping, as this will effectively destroy any kind of efficiency that capping ais for profit has. I have seen especially low and mid level players cap as a good means to suplement or even be the primary way of getting credits.

Also having slaves count would effectively lower you ship limit by 10 or more.

NEVER, this is getting much too close to pay to win that will cause many players to leave. Space points should only be used for subs, convenince things and cosmetic stuff.

I am not opposed to increasing the ship limit but this is not the way to go about doing it.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:02 pm
Main: Spatzz
Level: 3104

More ship slots is nothing amazing. The only argument against it would be those crazy characters full of Sing Sphere. The thing that defeats that argument being that if someone can afford 20+ SS on a single character they have many more lined up to take them. Adding slots with space points (not a huge fan as I probably won't spend money on it ^^) is pure convenience, it does not directly make you any stronger or provide something you cannot already do.

Big yes to a way to increase ship slots.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: urzaserra2
Level: 4871

This would have more support if the idea to allow more ship slots via space points was eliminated, and that capping ais still would allow you to go over the limit.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:09 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Is the Space Points why most people are voting no? Or the lack of the ability to cap 500 ships to dock and sell at the next uni reset?

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

See my post above for why I am not in favor.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:22 pm
Team: Traders
Main: DefQon1
Level: 5100

JeffL wrote:
Is the Space Points why most people are voting no? Or the lack of the ability to cap 500 ships to dock and sell at the next uni reset?

it should be credit wise that scales. with 25 still being the standard and allowing p2p's to be albe to purchase 26, 27, 28 and so on to whatever cap you desire.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:04 am
Team: Seele Piraten
Main: Si's_Yes_Man
Level: 2275

anilv wrote:
This proposal attempts to address several different problems, many of which are better solved individually.

1. Players getting stranded without ship slots
Allow players to undock in Spirit form, or if you wish to program it, let the default undock mode be in a pod-like shuttle with inbuilt gear that can dock into stasised ships.

2. Players wishing to store ships for trophy or nostalgic purposes
Allow players to "dry dock" ships the way Dark Brotherhood suggests.

3. Players storing tons of peasants for uni reset
No matter what anyone says, having 25 more slots for Singularity Spheres does mean a lot more peasants getting pumped into colonies each uni. I don't think the number of ship slots needs to be raised if #1 and #2 are dealt with individually. I also don't think it should be possible to raise it for space points since that's just a fancy way of converting $ into credits.

This is the answer. That dry dock suggestion is amazing.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:49 pm