Support/PR Administrator
Main: Bageese
Level: 14

Post Build Selector following faction select at game start
After selecting a starting faction you get the option of choosing a specific T0 Build with different gear and augmenters. We could offer three standard builds, the first being a low shield, higher speed build, the second being the standard build, and the third being a slower (only slightly) build with higher shields and higher damage. It could later be amplified by content that would help in class selection at a later point in time. This would allow players when upgrading to pick similar items that match their chosen builds but if its just a starting gear loadout they also don't get locked into anything too early.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:54 pm
Team: White Star
Main: xXxIrishKnightxXx
Level: 20

Post Re: Build Selector following faction select at game start
bageese wrote:
After selecting a starting faction you get the option of choosing a specific T0 Build with different gear and augmenters. We could offer three standard builds, the first being a low shield, higher speed build, the second being the standard build, and the third being a slower (only slightly) build with higher shields and higher damage. It could later be amplified by content that would help in class selection at a later point in time. This would allow players when upgrading to pick similar items that match their chosen builds but if its just a starting gear loadout they also don't get locked into anything too early.

Excellent! ive always liked the idea of a noob starting out with a special ship and tech 5/ 3 subskill in their class.(or something similar, like this idea ofc).

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:43 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

Why are you guys treating Capital Ships like the plague? Not putting capships into the selector isn't going to do anything to stop people from being FC or Gunner early. So I don't get it...

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:36 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

I really like this. Will you guys consider adding more options to this later after it is put in?

Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:04 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

http://forum.starsonata.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54479

Why not do this with a class selector at the beginning of the game, that was you start off playing your class the way it was meant to be played. You also gather the added benefit of putting versatility into the nexus with 8 classes running around playing their class how they would be expected to at the endgame. The only drawback is instead of coming up with 3 builds you need 8.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:31 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Xantra
Level: 2904

Perhaps make the first few levels of your chosen class mission-based within the Nexus, so people know of their presence and what they're actually getting into.

Naturally it'll still be available in Lyceum too, but I think a mission introduction might help people decide their class much more easily.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:12 pm

Why not make class not cost SP, that is you start out at "max" skills at level 0. Your "progression" translates into who has better gear, not who is higher level, and puts less pressure on groups with people of different levels.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:15 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: Aridross
Level: 4150

I have played for 80/90-something levels, and have faced my share of both triumphs, and (EPIC) fails. As I very much wish i could have begun the game with a freighter (for my "for later" hoard), I believe that this is an EXCELLENT idea, and will have a serious nerd-gasm if this feature makes it into the game.

Wed May 08, 2013 10:39 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: urzaserra2
Level: 4871

Sounds like a good idea. Would like to expand this to all 8 classes with frontloading enough of the class power right when you choose your class to be noticeable and different. Most other mmos class is chosen at char start and they all play differently from the start.

Wed May 08, 2013 1:13 pm
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Acheron
Level: 1836

Max235 wrote:
Why are you guys treating Capital Ships like the plague? Not putting capships into the selector isn't going to do anything to stop people from being FC or Gunner early. So I don't get it...

umm do you know a T0 capship then? :)

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:09 am

Acheron wrote:
Max235 wrote:

umm do you know a T0 capship then? :)

If I had access to developer ability, I could have 30 different T0 capships ready to go by cannibalizing existing models. Any content dev can produce any kind of ship with already existing models, and by using common sense, can balance that ship so it fits within the current scheme and content.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:35 am
Main: Spatzz
Level: 3104

Does not sound like they are talking about class levels at all but simply 3 slightly different vanilla builds. Assuming they are some how trying to destroy Fleet Focus as a starter class is ridiculous as there is not a single one being promoted.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:01 am

Chaosking3 wrote:
Does not sound like they are talking about class levels at all but simply 3 slightly different vanilla builds. Assuming they are some how trying to destroy Fleet Focus as a starter class is ridiculous as there is not a single one being promoted.

I'm not saying they are trying to destroy Fleet Focus, I'm saying they are purposely trying to make it out as some sort of really powerful premium object and therefore it has "special" advantages over the other three hull classes and thus is not to be in the general population's possession, despite the fact that most new players end up as Fleet Commander or Gunner.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:02 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Again, this would be epic if we could also chose a class at the beginning of the game. However several other change would need to be added. Whole new beginning to SS, new missions chains which teach you how to play a certain class by doing a tutorial or the class. Each mission would grant you with "Speed Demon 1" etc etc. A huge class rebalance at low level also. Huge pain for the dev team but i definitely think it would be worth it.

This seems like the 1st step though so ill give it 1 vote for now...

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:42 pm
Team: The Great Armada
Main: Xonok6
Level: 602

redalert150 wrote:
Again, this would be epic if we could also chose a class at the beginning of the game. However several other change would need to be added. Whole new beginning to SS, new missions chains which teach you how to play a certain class by doing a tutorial or the class. Each mission would grant you with "Speed Demon 1" etc etc. A huge class rebalance at low level also. Huge pain for the dev team but i definitely think it would be worth it.

This seems like the 1st step though so ill give it 1 vote for now...

Note that this suggestion specifically tries to avoid locking people into a class too early.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:40 pm