Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Post Re: Alternate forms of Experience
building a base should give us XP,.as well as building stuff.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:57 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: urzaserra2
Level: 4871

XP from building will need some sort of limit or be really not worthwhile amounts of xp. Theres too many easy mass builds out there that could allow out of control leveling. For example buildign 1k station expansion units.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:43 am
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

I was actually going to include building and a few other things in this, but I thought I'd keep it simple and just start with 3. What I was going to do for building was that each time you build a new type of thing, you get some XP, so there's a list of all the different types of things you've built, and each time you add a new type of thing to that list, you get the XP.

But this might get complicated because of the way that people share bases, and I'm not sure how we'd want to deal with that, exactly. Maybe just give the credit to the owner of the base, or maybe you have to be both the owner, and the one who actually uses the BP to start the build.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:39 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

If anything it should just be the person who starts the build who gets credit. A lot of teams use communal production bases.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:47 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Xantra
Level: 2904

I'd say a simple solution is to just apply diminishing returns on exp gained from building items, and perhaps scale the experience with the item's build costs -- ie: mass-building expanders won't gain you much experience, because they are cheap, whereas building something like a tech 21 ship would, because they have ~10b in build costs.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:50 am
over 9000!

xantra wrote:
I'd say a simple solution is to just apply diminishing returns on exp gained from building items, and perhaps scale the experience with the item's build costs -- ie: mass-building expanders won't gain you much experience, because they are cheap, whereas building something like a tech 21 ship would, because they have ~10b in build costs.

His proposal is a one-time XP reward for building a novel item. You wouldn't get experience for building that same item again.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:53 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Xantra
Level: 2904

I know, but building can be quite time-consuming, and there are a lot of things that are either too useless, too much effort, or too poor performing for their build requirements. I can't see people wanting to go through the effort to build half of the novel stuff in the game, just for a moderate exp reward.

It doesn't need to be a one-time exp reward if it is implemented properly. Infact, I think the game would benefit enormously if there were actual viable alternatives in levelling beyond grinding AI - especially in regards to attracting newcomers. It would add to the sandbox element of the game. If a player wishes to level through building, mining or trading, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is, if you're going to add alternatives, they need to be practical and viable, not just gimmicks.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:05 pm

I think the owner of the base should get xp. Production bases are a pain to setup this could be a little incentive for some.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:59 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

redalert150 wrote:
I think the owner of the base should get xp. Production bases are a pain to setup this could be a little incentive for some.

Or a good reason to motivate someone to set up their own damn production base rather than leeching off others. =)

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

JeffL wrote:
redalert150 wrote:

Or a good reason to motivate someone to set up their own damn production base rather than leeching off others. =)

Completely unrealistic view on the matter. Teams setup with minimal production bases because having more production bases makes more sensitive points in territory defense, and also divides commods that could go to one more efficient base if there was only one prod.

You're trying to counter an extremely effective system that teams have been using for an immense amount of time by giving a little bit of experience, but only once for each item, the gain does not come anywhere close to compensating the sacrifice...

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:42 am

Lol yea i was thinking that to although ill still leach and be happy for my teammates well earned xp :)

As to shawn, Several people already use their own production base.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:23 am
over 9000!

JeffL wrote:
redalert150 wrote:

You guys really seem to have a confused outlook on the purpose of teams in this game. You put in content that encourages extensive collaboration (boss runs, item production), and yet seem to want to discourage collaborative play (large teams, communal production bases).

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:44 am
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

redalert150 wrote:
Lol yea i was thinking that to although ill still leach and be happy for my teammates well earned xp :)

As to shawn, Several people already use their own production base.

A lot of people have personal production bases, but you don't often see multiple large/critical production facilities unless there is a big connector gap between sections of team space. Furthermore, equipping more than one CaL bp or ada module bps to different bases is an extreme waste of resources that don't justify the use.

Redalert, find me two separate bases in EF space that has two sets of ada module bps equipped. If you cannot, equip a second ada module bp set to another base. Count the number of teammates that think you're batshit crazy.

Jeff_L, next time you go out to a fast food place for lunch, buy two burgers. Eat one and throw the second away. If anyone objects or ask why you did it, tell them you get extra experience for it. Count the number of people who think you're batshit crazy.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:46 am
Site Admin / Dev Team

Max235 wrote:
Jeff_L, next time you go out to a fast food place for lunch, buy two burgers. Eat one and throw the second away. If anyone objects or ask why you did it, tell them you get extra experience for it. Count the number of people who think you're batshit crazy.

Bad analogy. On the other hand, if I cooked two different burgers from scratch and ate one a threw one away, I would be a more experienced chef than if I had only cooked one!

Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:20 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin / Dev Team

The code to get XP for exploring a new galaxy, and get even more XP if you're the first person to explore a galaxy is on test if people want to try it.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:45 pm
Profile WWW