Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Post Neurobinding items
Ability to voluntarily NB and gain random mods on your items.

While docked, there will be a right-click option on items to "Neurobind" them. Upon selecting that, a confirmation dialog will pop up asking if you want to Neurobind the item and informing you of the cost, which will be a number of credits equal to the AI base value of the item plus 1 Bindomite per item.

Bindomite is gathered both from prospecting and mining throughout the universe, and possibly as a global rare drop. It should be readily accessible to players of all levels, but somewhat uncommon so that players will be limited by more than just cash how many times items they can NB.

Neurobinding an item is guaranteed to give at least one mod, but can do multiple mods. It can only be used on items that aren't currently NB. Neurobinding a non-NB item that has pre-existing mods will add additional mods.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
Team: White Star
Main: xXxIrishKnightxXx
Level: 20

Post Re: Neurobinding items
+1'd
But make mods removable<but not un-neuroable> because getting rewired on an energy sucks ass.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:34 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

/signed in principle, but perhaps the actual mod stats should be looked at. There are some (rewired, buffered) that are actually worse than unmodded in some cases. Either that or there should be a way to re-roll the mod you got by paying an additional cost.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:38 pm
Main: Spatzz
Level: 3104

Exactly what Preter and Enk said.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:46 pm
over 9000!

Also, is it intentional that you will be unable to add mods to NB mission gear such as Crystalline Pulsations and the Seer weapons?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:52 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

anilv wrote:
Also, is it intentional that you will be unable to add mods to NB mission gear such as Crystalline Pulsations and the Seer weapons?

I suppose we could allow it to work on NB items that don't contain mods, although this seems like a small corner case.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
over 9000!

JeffL wrote:
anilv wrote:

I suppose we could allow it to work on NB items that don't contain mods, although this seems like a small corner case.

How about you can do it to a NB item that already has mods, but it wipes those mods and puts a new one on? I wouldn't say this is a corner case at all since there are certain NB mission items that are very widely used (Crystalline Pulsations is again a great example).

Keep in mind, however, that there is already an option to create NB versions of certain Olympus items for a cost, which boosts their stats by roughly 10%. I am not necessarily opposed to being able to add mods to these items, but you should be aware of this mechanic.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:31 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

I think being able to simply re-roll on the mod(s) your item has for just the cash and commodity cost would be too cheap. People would end up with full sets of exactly what they want far too easily. It's probably a lot more interesting and better for the game and the economy if you had to either re-acquire a new item if you don't like the mods you got, or else make an unmodding be a lot more expensive.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Main: Spatzz
Level: 3104

The issue is that, like someone else pointed out, some mods are more than just undesirable, they can hurt your set-up. If the modding process is already expensive and the demodding process is equally expensive then where would the issue be? That is 3 commods you need in order to mod, unmod then remod for the hope that this time you get lucky. I would push for that or mods being made a bit more equal in terms of usefulness.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:55 am
Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: Llessur
Level: 3775

At least eliminate the bad mod options.

After spending gazillions building an item you dont want to spend a lot more just to get a useless mod.

I still laugh when I look at my intelligent, Gyproscopic Bubblewrap which dropped of a boss in Perilous a few days ago.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:00 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin / Dev Team

The modding process is not going to be that expensive, so I think it's OK for a small chance to get a mod that might be slightly negative. It is a gamble, and no one will be forced to attempt neurobinding their gear.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:14 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!

JeffL wrote:
The modding process is not going to be that expensive, so I think it's OK for a small chance to get a mod that might be slightly negative. It is a gamble, and no one will be forced to attempt neurobinding their gear.

All right, how about a highly costly unmodding process then? The fact is that the cost of many items is not really in credits but in the amount of time it takes to acquire several different components (especially BPs when it comes to Olympus gear). At any given moment there may not even be all the BPs you need on the market.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:59 am
Main: None
Level: 0

Wouldn't it then follow that given high enough costs everyone can get the exact modification they are looking for in their item? Which seems different from a system where the idea is to pay a cost to get a random modification on your item, and that the final product is an outcome of luck, and not just raw credits (or whatever cost Jeff has in his plans). Personally I am fine with both, I just want to know which one we are aiming for.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:10 am
over 9000!

Well ultimately it seems like a good credit sink, combined with an incentive to participate in the Prospecting economy (either by prospecting or buying the proceeds thereof). Seems easy enough to make unmodding also part of this scheme.

By the way, I can't test this since I don't own any modded NB items, but it's quite likely you can clear mods from them by the current mechanic of selling to an AI base and then Undoing the transaction.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:49 am
Main: The_Ultimatum
Level: 4307

Either remove the intel mod or the super intel mod, both are not needed if we are going to be NBing items with DOUBLE the chance to get a useless mod.

There are no other low-tier versions of evil, trans, reso, etc. So why do we need an intel mod AND a super intel mod? Kind of pointless aye?

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i46 ... dowsig.png

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:35 am