Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Unholychaos
Level: 4772

Post Re: Transdimentional Warping
^

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:02 am
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Max235 wrote:
In light of past comments and Jeff_L's idea, I propose this for Transdimensional Warping.

1. To warp, you need a Capital Ship with a Trans Warp Aura. Considering a TWA is FC-locked, you also need a FC.

I don't see why ships using the permanent drones would need to be capital ships. The permanent drones will be in your own space or in NPC galaxies, so should be fairly benign regarding pvp.

Quote:
2. The squad must be within 500 distance of the FC for 30 seconds while the TWA charges.

I don't really see why this would be useful. I like the idea of requiring the person jumping to have full shields, so that already mostly means people aren't jumping out of combat.

Quote:
4. After jumping, all squad members are greeted with a Trans Warp Exit Aura, which will reduce shield, regen, damage, and speed by 50% for 30 seconds. All squad members will also be left with only 10% of their energy, but that won't be affected by the aura. All players that made the jump will be sitting on the warp that the players would have normally AP'ed through if they were APing.

I have no problem with any negative aura / effects like this. I don't think placing them on the wromhole is a good idea, though. They will be placed out far away from planets / suns.

Quote:
5. You cannot jump to:
- Hostile owned galaxy
- galaxy owned by warred team
- galaxy owned by a team that warred you
- if one member meets the war criteria, the whole squad cannot warp to that galaxy

This seems too restrictive, and not needed if you're having negative effects like loss of shields and energy from warping.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Ununoctium
Level: 5960

The reason for preventing warps to enemy space is so that people can't completely circumvent border galaxies. Normally a PvB squad would be forced to sneak through (usually after dying once, thanks to exploiting the PvP aura) without being noticed. This must be repeated until the desired destination has been reached, and in the process players may lose durability/become scattered and risk detection.

With the warp function they can just skip straight to the target and strike, possibly dying once thanks to the negative aura (if at all). It seems to completely go against the concept of things like Warptastic drones.

PvB squads could still warp right next to a border galaxy if they so wish, but they'd still be required to either steamroll everything or 'sneak' somewhere.

There's also the issue of ultra-harsh debuffs unfairly penalizing normal usage, unless you can code different affects depending on the jump target.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:19 pm
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

The Salty One wrote:
The reason for preventing warps to enemy space is so that people can't completely circumvent border galaxies. Normally a PvB squad would be forced to sneak through (usually after dying once, thanks to exploiting the PvP aura) without being noticed. This must be repeated until the desired destination has been reached, and in the process players may lose durability/become scattered and risk detection.

With the warp function they can just skip straight to the target and strike, possibly dying once thanks to the negative aura (if at all). It seems to completely go against the concept of things like Warptastic drones.

PvB squads could still warp right next to a border galaxy if they so wish, but they'd still be required to either steamroll everything or 'sneak' somewhere.

There's also the issue of ultra-harsh debuffs unfairly penalizing normal usage, unless you can code different affects depending on the jump target.

This. Again, I don't like the idea of the temp warp drones. Perma drones is awesome tho.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:54 pm
Team: Traders
Main: ERMAN
Level: 8510

Custom jump locations into gals not owned by your team are going to be abused so hard in ways we can't even imagine right now.

It will ruin this otherwise good idea.

Make it so that you have to own the gal that you are dropping the custom jump point in.

Why is it necassary to put a jump point into any random Wildspace gal? To be clear, I see no reason that you can't put one into any perilous or EF gal, but you shouldn't be able to just pop into any Wildspace gal with a full squad, regardless of debuffs...All you would have to do is let everyone die, then get back in together. That would give the defending team approximately 5-10 mintues to not only notice (which is unlikely as I'm sure the attackers wouldn't be dumb enough to shoot anything) but also coordinate a defense force against a full PvB squad.

It's just a bad idea...

-ERMAN

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

JeffL wrote:
Quote:
4. After jumping, all squad members are greeted with a Trans Warp Exit Aura, which will reduce shield, regen, damage, and speed by 50% for 30 seconds. All squad members will also be left with only 10% of their energy, but that won't be affected by the aura. All players that made the jump will be sitting on the warp that the players would have normally AP'ed through if they were APing.

I have no problem with any negative aura / effects like this. I don't think placing them on the wromhole is a good idea, though. They will be placed out far away from planets / suns.

Quote:
5. You cannot jump to:
- Hostile owned galaxy
- galaxy owned by warred team
- galaxy owned by a team that warred you
- if one member meets the war criteria, the whole squad cannot warp to that galaxy

This seems too restrictive, and not needed if you're having negative effects like loss of shields and energy from warping.

These two are to prevent easy BvB. Think about it. You own GalaxyA, enemy owns GalaxyB. Enemy has defenders and tons of bases in GalaxyB. You activate jump, and are kicked out 30k distance from the nearest enemy base. By the time a SPEED DEMON reaches you, you have a pair of stations down ready to annihilate them. Then you slowly push the kits into the fray and win the battle.

That's why I want negative effects AND sitting on the gate. To prevent easy BvB attacks on enemy space and completely bypass the defenders.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:28 pm

In that situation it'd be better to just warp in normally... the galaxy won't be watched 24/7 and the enemy team wouldn't get a warning. I'm not sure if an exploit worse than conventional methods is a cause for concern.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Normally, the major players are also the Station Masters, so there is a warning (which active players should notice) when your bases start killing mass numbers of enemies. You can really slow down a BvB attempt and get new bases online while an enemy is slowboating (and abusing pvp aura) out 30k from nearest solar body.

Compared to, you have no warning until the siege kits have started to fire at your bases, which if you don't get the ball rolling, there is hardly anything you can do to stem the tide.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:00 pm

SS warps in. SS spams adv. blockers. SS lays kit. I'm not really clear on the mass deaths part... I've easily run a blockade of 6 dps bases in my EFDN.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:08 pm

Adv Block is god damned OP anyways. Reminds me...

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:25 pm

Jeff, whilst we're on the subject of adding cool new things could we also have This?

It'd be one of those things that encourages active play, rather than just dragging a MC fleet commander to runs.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:25 am

The Salty One wrote:
Jeff, whilst we're on the subject of adding cool new things could we also have This?

It'd be one of those things that encourages active play, rather than just dragging a MC fleet commander to runs.

You can still easily MC a Fleet Commander with that feature.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:37 am
Team: Traders
Main: DefQon1
Level: 5100

kanescreed wrote:
I felt like this would be something about seers with warp 5. Guess not.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:17 am
Team: Aidelon
Main: Aridross
Level: 4150

JeffL wrote:
Ships can Transdimensionally warp from one galaxy to another in 2 different ways. Both ways require a warp beacon on in the destination galaxy that is owned by the player, his team, a squad member, or a friendly NPC faction.

Anyone can use a Transdimensional Warp Device that will work with Large Warp Beacons. Large Warp Beacons are permanent drones and can only be placed in galaxies where permanent drones are allowed. The idea is that teams will tend to place them in their owned territory and at their outposts. NPC teams will also have Large Warp Beacons available for players to use nearby some popular locations.

Fleet Commanders can use the Fleet Transdimensional Warp Device as described in the class super item proposal. This one is different in that it requires Fleet Commander skill, will bring along nearby squad mates with the Fleet Commander, and can also warp to Portable Warp Beacons, which are temporary drones and can be placed by squad members in many more locations.

Some restrictions on warping are that the warping ship must be at full shields and must be at least 1000 distance away from the nearest planet or sun. Warping takes off 50% of a ships shields. The ship initiating the warp must have Astral Travel skill equal to the number of jumps to the new galaxy.

The interface for this will be a pop up box with the choices of where a person can warp to when he attempts to use the Transdimensional Warp Device. If he currently has a galaxy selected on the galaxy map, then that galaxy will be first on the list.

sounds nice, but it also sounds like a lot of programming. you sure it can be done?

Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:02 pm

That is essentially the same idea (and almost the same process) as EVE. It is possible to be coded, the main question is how much of the admin lazy gene will kick in? Because I know that's going to be an Olympus-scale project for one or two people and we know how long "Add to Trade Bay" took for such a simple thing.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:37 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next