Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Post The Crucible
Blog postie is here: http://www.starsonata.com/wordpress/?p=43

Some feedback on the scripting of the boss is what I'm really after, because then I can push forward with versions for the other 7 classes. Although I do want feedback on the AI as well.

Do note that it's intended for a single person to do, so taking multiple characters in there and saying it's easy is going to have no dice (and if anything, is going to make me make it stupidly hard when the 1 person rule is hard coded).

Support

Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:43 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: HIV Droner
Level: 3800

Post Re: The Crucible
It's awesome. Great job.

typical fruits

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:27 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
You're missing Blue Dwarf.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 pm
Main: Mow
Level: 9759

Finally. I like the look of this place.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:13 am
Content Dev

PS: You'll find that on test you can't scoop your drones because of the scooping changes, go grab the beta client (viewtopic.php?f=116&t=51108) and you should be able to scoop drones and what-not.

Support

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:12 am

Scooping Changes? Say what?

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:08 am
Content Dev

thecrazygamemaster wrote:
Scooping Changes? Say what?

viewtopic.php?f=263&t=56153

Support

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:55 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J6-3l3hCm0

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:37 pm
Main: Assassinat3r
Level: 2460

The last wave is somewhat easy for an end-game Engi, I feel you should work on the AI scripting to make the final wave a lot more dynamic. In fact, all of the boss waves could use this!

Overall I didn't really find it fun as I just sat there with the same drones laid until the last wave where I had to move around a bit and use a different set of drones to kill the two Phoenix. On top of that, 95% of my time was spent waiting for the next wave to show up. It would be great if say, shooting the commentator would just cause the next wave to spawn.

And... there was boss scripting? All I noticed was that a Phoenix would become smaller and regain their shields after reaching 50% but that doesn't seem to change anything else. Most importantly, you've also misspelt every occurrence of trophy as trophey.

Asides from the trophy missions, will there by any other things to provide more of an incentive to do The Crucible? Oh, on that note, the exp reward for the trophies feels pretty poor.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:21 pm
Content Dev

assasinat3r wrote:
The last wave is somewhat easy for an end-game Engi, I feel you should work on the AI scripting to make the final wave a lot more dynamic. In fact, all of the boss waves could use this!

I guess something simple, yet quirky would suffice for this then? That should be pretty doable.

Quote:
Overall I didn't really find it fun as I just sat there with the same drones laid until the last wave where I had to move around a bit and use a different set of drones to kill the two Phoenix. On top of that, 95% of my time was spent waiting for the next wave to show up. It would be great if say, shooting the commentator would just cause the next wave to spawn.

That's a good idea... But I'm not sure if I can get that in, since I used a bit of ninja of the script, maybe with some code I could get that in, I've always wanted some kind of boss scripting thing for if the boss is getting shot.

Quote:
And... there was boss scripting? All I noticed was that a Phoenix would become smaller and regain their shields after reaching 50% but that doesn't seem to change anything else. Most importantly, you've also misspelt every occurrence of trophy as trophey.

Yeah, all the AI are spawned by the Commentator dude, so he has a pretty extensive boss script in terms of length, although the actual script is fairly simple. (I know about the Trophy thing, I need to fix just haven't yet).

Quote:
Asides from the trophy missions, will there by any other things to provide more of an incentive to do The Crucible? Oh, on that note, the exp reward for the trophies feels pretty poor.

Yeah, these are currently unimplemented/still being hashed out (the main reward), although I'll probably do some additional rewards to give the area some re-playability (aside from seeing how awesome you are by attempting it with minimalistic setups).

Support

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:00 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

You could have a "Secondary Commentator" (Commentary booths usually have two people inside), that exists as a pillbox/undockable AI base similar to Tartarus, where if a player gets too close, the next wave (usually in Tartarus, all next waves) spawned. A bit of cooldown scripting could stop it from spawning multiple unintended waves. It would be really bad if you had 10 waves dumped on you at once.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:18 pm
Content Dev

Max235 wrote:
You could have a "Secondary Commentator" (Commentary booths usually have two people inside), that exists as a pillbox/undockable AI base similar to Tartarus, where if a player gets too close, the next wave (usually in Tartarus, all next waves) spawned. A bit of cooldown scripting could stop it from spawning multiple unintended waves. It would be really bad if you had 10 waves dumped on you at once.

That's the thing, we don't have any way for two different AI to interact currently.

Nor can bosses read information from galaxy chat.

There are already two AI in The Crucible (the Commentator you see, and an invisible controller guy which follows the one you see around). I guess I could always turn the second one into some Crucible Centre Piece which you 'tag' to get a new wave and is stationary.

Support

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:23 pm
Main: Unholychaos
Level: 4772

And maybe have it so that tagging the center piece is the only way to spawn the next wave so that classes with big banks/low regen (cap ships/zerks) can have a chance to regen without being insta raped on the next wave

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:14 am
Main: Darkzero
Level: 3324

There is a small error. When a non-Engineer (I am a seer) enters, it says, "You are not slated to take the challenge of The Crucible, please leave, Engineer." It shouldn't say Engineer to a seer.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:29 pm
Content Dev

Zentobe wrote:
There is a small error. When a non-Engineer (I am a seer) enters, it says, "You are not slated to take the challenge of The Crucible, please leave, Engineer." It shouldn't say Engineer to a seer.

When I'm done, you wouldn't even be able to enter on a Seer. (You'd go to Seer version instead).

Support

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:07 am