Team: Olympus
Main: Calypso
Level: 1800

Location: Scranton, PA, USA, Earth, Sol, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe, Multiverse
Post Lyceum Spacebases
I was wondering if anyone with the modeling chops wanted to take a whack at this.

My idea for the concept is a circular platform that contains ancient Grecian (maybe even Roman for the domes) style buildings (but updated to be a bit sci-fi!) gardens, fountains, etc, that we could toss a 'force field' around. Other ideas are welcome though.

Ideally there would be three base models. There would be a large 'main complex' for the large bases in Lyceum, a medium sized complex for the less important bases, then smaller single building platforms for stuff like class bases.

If anyone wants to give this a go, let me know!

Calypso

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:19 am
Team: Triple Alliance
Main: Biggee
Level: 3017

Post Re: Lyceum Spacebases
Could you provide a few reference photos? There are a few styles of roman domes depending on the time frame.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:14 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: crazyhorse2
Level: 3237

Ill will take a shot at it. I got some ideas that would make it cool. And for the dome do you want a poly for glass part or have no poly there?

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:41 pm
Press Corps
Main: DragonGod (Slaver)
Level: 4121

He's probably thinking of something like The Pantheon or St. Peter's Basilica, or something suitably rotunda-esque with those famous Roman colonnades everyone likes to associate with places of learning or governance.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:46 pm

Also, what kind of poly limit are you looking for? <20k or so for the main one, maybe 5k per for the small ones?

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:56 pm

Here's a render of the direction I was planning on taking it. This could be the small base; the other 2 would be much larger and would consist of other modules as well. This one is about 2.5k polys unoptimized. I could get it down to about 1.7k probably with a minor loss of detail, or under 1k for a greater loss of detail. Let me know what your thoughts are on this.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:48 pm

It looks good but one thing is most players play from the birds. Eye view so that would look lije a circle and anytying out under would not be seen.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:39 am
Team: Olympus
Main: Calypso
Level: 1800

Location: Scranton, PA, USA, Earth, Sol, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe, Multiverse
Pantheon and the Basilica a are very good examples. Also consider the Acropolis or the temples at Delphi.

That looks really nice, but it does have the problem w/ bird's eye view. That's why I was thinking about garden sections, trees, fountains, etc. But I think that would look amazing even from top view w/ the right texture!

As for a force field, we have the resources in client already to do something like that. I can just slap a sphere around it

Poly limit isn't that big a concern, it's a space base so it's not like there are going to be 50 of them in one galaxy! I think under 20k for the main base and ~5k for the smaller ones would probably be ok.

Calypso

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:44 am

hey guys. this is just the start of what i was thinking. this is just the start so alot of it is not complete.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:52 am
Press Corps
Main: DragonGod (Slaver)
Level: 4121

Looks good, James, it's a good start.

Caly, when you said gardens I immdiately thought of Kami's Palace from Dragon Ball, but with green spaces, walkways and fountains. And a giant glass dome. xP

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:24 pm

Here's a display of some basic garden boxes I made today. I also simplified the base to a nice geometric design without all the slopes and such. I think it will probably look nicer this way, but this is all still a work in progress. I'm planning on filling the garden boxes with various sized plants, maybe some trees etc. Feedback is greatly desired.

I have them in modular pieces, which means I can make them however many sections I want to really easily. I could also shrink them down to be about 1/5 the size that they are now to give the illusion that the dome structure is a lot bigger. Thoughts on that?

Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:44 pm

Hey guys her some updates i wan not able to do much today, but here what i did, finished the other side of the dome, reduced the up rights pillars in polys, build a main platform, and 4 extending platform, and made a DNA like thing. Also i was thinking that the structure biggee531 is making could be put on one of the platforms, after she is finished and if she is willing. Tell me what you think, her are pics.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:58 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Biggee's a dude but that stuff does look cool. The triangular lattice isn't very classical but it still looks awesome and would definitely also work from the top-down view.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:23 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
anilv wrote:
Biggee's a dude but that stuff does look cool. The triangular lattice isn't very classical but it still looks awesome and would definitely also work from the top-down view.

Yup. Bageese =/= biggee.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:54 am

Meh oops got any other ideas on what i can add?

Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:55 am