Team: Olympus
Main: Calypso
Level: 1800

Location: Scranton, PA, USA, Earth, Sol, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe, Multiverse
Post Re: Lyceum Spacebases
I have to say everything here looks awesome so far. Props to both of you.

Calypso

Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:53 pm
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Dabbled over the weekend, came up with this, not brilliant, but I kinda like it.

Orthographic view
Top down (non-orth)
At an angle (non-orth).

The mesh currently has 847 polys, but are mostly 4 point polys. Triangulated that's about 2k, I haven't smoothed it down yet (obviously) because I thought I'd post it first to show were I was going.

This is the bottom, if anyone cares:
Underside

Support

Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:18 pm
Team: Triple Alliance
Main: Biggee
Level: 3017

You have a few problem areas in your geometry that I've highlighted in the first attachment.

Attachment:
base_example.png

For the lines, those big faces that have more than 4 sides are called nonagons or n-gons or ngons (the ones you have there are 10+ sides). Every time you add a vertex to a face without connecting it somewhere, it will result in an extra side and a potential issue with the triangulation of the mesh on export. If it's a planar ngon (yours look to be planar, basically flat with no conflicting "lumps" anywhere), it should be okay. If it's non planar, you're gonna have a bad time and lots of terrible things can happen with your mesh.

It's best practice to model in triangles or quads only(polygons with max edges of 3 or 4). The reason for that is so you have control over how your mesh is going to triangulate on export to the engine(or in this case to .obj), which means you have total control over how the model will be lit, the smoothness of every edge or face, any lighting artifacts or quirks etc. It makes it a lot easier for when you actually get it in game and you have all these crazy shadows that you didn't see while you were modeling it. Then you have to go back in fix the model in that area, and hopefully it's either a minor tweak or you haven't started texturing it yet because your UV's can get messed up.

The red circles highlight some areas that are just a bit messy. There are a few ways you can fix it or model it differently, but i've uploaded an example of how I like to connect circles to squares if I absolutely have to. I try to avoid ever getting to that point, but sometimes it happens. Like I said, there are a few ways to do it, but this one is fast and easy. If you aren't sure how I got to that pattern, let me know and I'll upload a series of screenshots to show how I got there.
Attachment:
base_fix.png

Other than those few things, I think it looks pretty cool. Kind of like a scifi landing pod made of columns.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:55 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
First thing I thought of when I saw yours, Bobbo.

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Spider_ship

Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:19 am
Content Dev

I had this in mind, I looked at the Parthenon quickly for some reference. And had one of the C1 bases in mind (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14141289/SpaceBase17.png).

I'll look into cleaning it up though, thanks Biggee. :P

Edit: Done some changes (but started from scratch), new screenies:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14141289/base_orth2.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14141289/base_topdown2.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14141289/base_someangle2.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14141289/base_bottom2.png

Fully triangulated in nice pretty patterns and 1.5k polys, although I kinda preferred how the ring was above the dip in the first one, I also like how it is here (nice straight columns). XD

Support

Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:35 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

biggee531 wrote:
You have a few problem areas in your geometry that I've highlighted in the first attachment.

Attachment:
base_example.png

For the lines, those big faces that have more than 4 sides are called nonagons or n-gons or ngons (the ones you have there are 10+ sides). Every time you add a vertex to a face without connecting it somewhere, it will result in an extra side and a potential issue with the triangulation of the mesh on export. If it's a planar ngon (yours look to be planar, basically flat with no conflicting "lumps" anywhere), it should be okay. If it's non planar, you're gonna have a bad time and lots of terrible things can happen with your mesh.

It's best practice to model in triangles or quads only(polygons with max edges of 3 or 4). The reason for that is so you have control over how your mesh is going to triangulate on export to the engine(or in this case to .obj), which means you have total control over how the model will be lit, the smoothness of every edge or face, any lighting artifacts or quirks etc. It makes it a lot easier for when you actually get it in game and you have all these crazy shadows that you didn't see while you were modeling it. Then you have to go back in fix the model in that area, and hopefully it's either a minor tweak or you haven't started texturing it yet because your UV's can get messed up.

The red circles highlight some areas that are just a bit messy. There are a few ways you can fix it or model it differently, but i've uploaded an example of how I like to connect circles to squares if I absolutely have to. I try to avoid ever getting to that point, but sometimes it happens. Like I said, there are a few ways to do it, but this one is fast and easy. If you aren't sure how I got to that pattern, let me know and I'll upload a series of screenshots to show how I got there.
Attachment:
base_fix.png

Other than those few things, I think it looks pretty cool. Kind of like a scifi landing pod made of columns.

Pay this man...

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:44 am
Main: 8834746
Level: 0

much boast

so ass kissing

wow

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:54 am
Content Dev

Edited previous post: viewtopic.php?p=718966#p718966

Support

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:43 am
Team: The Dividing Contrast
Main: The Ultimatum
Level: 282

thecrazygamemaster wrote:
First thing I thought of when I saw yours, Bobbo.

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Spider_ship

spider-ship spider-ship does whatever a spidership does!

Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:59 pm
Team: Zephyr
Main: WarpDrive
Level: 4410

This is a model (comprised of approximently 14000 triangles) that I am making for one of the larger bases in Lyceum. It is based on three deformed toruses with two of them made to look like roof supporting arches and grecian columns.

Upper rotated view:
Attachment:
s1.png

Top View:
Attachment:
s2.png

Side View:
Attachment:
s3.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:42 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

singurality wrote:
This is a model (comprised of approximently 14000 triangles) that I am making for one of the larger bases in Lyceum. It is based on three deformed toruses with two of them made to look like roof supporting arches and grecian columns.

I am pretty sure that 14000 is about 10000 too high.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:19 am
Content Dev

ShawnMcCall wrote:
singurality wrote:

I am pretty sure that 14000 is about 10000 too high.

It's not, unless you mean for the smaller bases then yes (according to Biggee's numbers for poly counts). I was going intentionally low because it's not hard to flesh it up and make it smoother later (instead of trying to undo stuff I had already done if you get me). Admittedly, for singularity's mesh it looks like some of the detail could be removed and replicated with bump/normal mapping.

Support

Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:59 am
Team: Aidelon
Main: crazyhorse2
Level: 3237

Sorry guys but im working on a very big project. That could get my collage payed for and a gerented job. So i only have 2 more weeks ro finish it so im not really working on this so much. But ill try to d some.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:13 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

I WANT A JOB IN GERENTEERING TOO

Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Zephyr
Main: WarpDrive
Level: 4410

This is another model I am currently making for a large Lyceum base. It has 12 columns (designed to look like grecian columns) arranged in a hyperboloidal shape (like some modern buildings are) between the top and bottom parts of the base. There are 6 square cutouts of the top part of the base, and 6 triangular cutouts on the bottom part of the base. In the images below, the model is comprised of approximently 31000 trianges, but I can reduce it to approximently 19000 triangles while still retaining its main features.

Upper rotated view:
Attachment:
sb1.png

Top view:
Attachment:
sb2.png

Side view:
Attachment:
sb3.png

Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:24 am