Team: Eminence Front
Main: number666.5
Level: 8921

Post Re: Stat Calculator
i have heard of a 8 and 10 (not sure if it was true), but think only like 10 chars have IT 6+ that are still active

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:07 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Those are exaggerated. The player with the highest IT is Cru!se and he has IT 7. There is a rumor that he once had higher IT which was later removed, but that is how things currently stand.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:12 am
Team: Star Wars
Main: Peter_The_Puller
Level: 804

Ok I'll bump it to ten but leave the notice of (0-5) as it stands. I'll post the update when I get home and I'll hopefully put up new source.

Also if someone has an idea (From a programmers perspective-that is easy to code) for items mods I would be very thankful. I've scrapped like 4 methods already because they just aren't worth it to code and cause too many errors.

Resists should hopefully be in today too, just finalizing the math since its much different then most of the stats.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:16 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!

Mods are always awkward to deal with, not least because there are active and passive varieties. The most user-friendly way I can think of would be to allow the user to create placeholder items, like so:

-Click button "Add mod item"
-Dialog with dropdown of item types (including "misc" and "misc weapon")
-Depending on the item type selected, selection of checkboxes appear corresponding to the mods available on that item type
-If "misc" is chosen, only global mods are available and the item is assumed to be unstacked (only place I can see this being imprecise is if the user has two identical, identically modded hull expanders or capacitors through an advanced subskill -- otherwise, non-weapon items that can carry mods are single-equip)
-If "misc weapon" is chosen, only global mods are available and the item will be calculated as stacked with any other identical "misc weapon" entries. Alternatively, choosing this item type can also make a text field available where the player can enter how many of that modded weapon are being used

The area you've allocated to mods will become a scrollable list of custom items that the user has added. Double-clicking will pull up the same dialog that created them to allow the user to edit or delete the entries individually.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:01 pm
over 9000!

By the way, I've downloaded the current version and your implementation of augmath for the inbuilt bonuses cannot possibly be right for negative values. You simply can't ask the player to add multiple negatives, since -10% -10% = -20% is not the way those values are treated. So this seems like a serious flaw in the current implementation.

The only workaround I see for this would be to allow the player to add individual items the way you currently add augmenters.

--

Also, shouldn't there be a field to fill in your weapon's firing energy? Maybe I am missing the point of this program but "calculated values" such as DPS and DPE would probably be highly desired by the user as well.

Finally, where do the class subskills have checkboxes? Surely the player can just set the skill level to 0 if they don't want to train it?

Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:05 pm

anilv wrote:
By the way, I've downloaded the current version and your implementation of augmath for the inbuilt bonuses cannot possibly be right for negative values. You simply can't ask the player to add multiple negatives, since -10% -10% = -20% is not the way those values are treated. So this seems like a serious flaw in the current implementation.

The only workaround I see for this would be to allow the player to add individual items the way you currently add augmenters.

--

Also, shouldn't there be a field to fill in your weapon's firing energy? Maybe I am missing the point of this program but "calculated values" such as DPS and DPE would probably be highly desired by the user as well.

Finally, where do the class subskills have checkboxes? Surely the player can just set the skill level to 0 if they don't want to train it?

I'll try and wrap my mind around the item mod idea tomorrow since I'm more worried about an interview with Google today. But I'll break this down by points:

1) Did not even think about this to be honest... I'll see what I can do. For now you'll have to run that extra math yourself since I'll have to redesign that.

2) I didn't think about that either. Added in but not positive if I can get that built by the time I leave in fifteen minutes.

3) No idea. Didn't think about this either...

Great points. As you can see I clearly just have a one direction idea process :P

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Main: number666.5
Level: 8921

works good so far, thanks

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:06 pm

Huge(Not really, just more work then the past week) update coming in today. Unfortunately still no item mods (Getting there though, designing a simple/expandable system isn't easy for this--I may just hack it together and hope no one ever has to change it). Also I need to look at the Gunner subskills ingame. I noticed they aren't right. So sorry gunners, I hope you're not trying to calculate an enormous DPS setup currently.

Whats coming:

Choosing resists and damage types - From Physical damage for snipers to Transference for Shield Monkeys, everyone can choose a resist type and damage type to get proper damage additions (Sorry still no choice for ethereal for seers)

Firing Energy input - Thanks Enk for the suggestion

Removed checkboxes for subskills - Thanks Enk for the suggestion

Window Management - If anyone actually noticed, you could launch like 4000 popups of the same window and edit them all at once. That's fixed. Might take a bit more memory but I'm assuming we aren't all stuck at 16MB of RAM.

Decimal place filters - Some inputs didn't allow decimals (Notably Shield/Energy charge). Those are fixed.

New Backend aug code - Uses a bit less memory to make up for the window management

Whats next (In potential order):

Mod inputs
Fixing ship mods for negative bonuses (I at least changed the help notice)
Aura inputs
Gunner subskills (Can be done once I get a gunner to dock in the ai base)
Save/Load

Also if anyone finds anything broken, just give me a heads up. I'll edit this post when I update the application and source when I get home today (~1.5 hours from now)

Edit: Updated with source

Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Reddit Space Invaders
Main: Charlie
Level: 5004

the shield bank value i get seems to be wrong. Its like its not giving a shield bonus for sniper class skill.

is the sniper class value correctly accounted for

Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:03 am

I've been going off the wiki for stats because I couldn't do 8 500m neuro docs to see all the skills. The wiki does not have any shield bonus for the sniper class. If you tell me what it is though I can update it.

Also as a heads up, I'm going to be in and out for like 2-3 weeks so this may not get the mods in by then. Sorry for those who want it soon :/

Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:43 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!

Sniper doesn't give shield bonus; Combat Focus does but only if you fly a heavy fighter. I think the calculator is right?

Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:46 am
Team: Adamantiumized Souls
Main: TheWozbo
Level: 2166

Hey, if you're not adverse to it, mind maintaining a github page for this? I'd love to make a few pull requests to fix things as I find them.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:04 am

I wasn't able to set one up while I was working since github was blocked at work. But now that I am home and free I can. Not sure if I want to put it on my personal one. I'll try and have it up Sunday sometime. Also I'm working on the mods page again.

Edit: Up!

Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:33 am
Profile WWW
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

The absolute max (like, the max I can force a skill to be without rewriting code to use a larger container) is 255 for any skill.

You may as well set the max to that for all the skills; you'll never have to worry about us changing skill level limits.

Support

Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:05 am
Main: AcidGreenTonal
Level: 4009

I have it 6 :)

Man tell me you didn't do that, I'm gonna cry I think.

Aridas

Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:25 pm